+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What caused more people to stop supporting City?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: What caused more people to stop supporting City?

It's a hard question to answer because I asked about City supporters in general rather than any of you as individuals.

For my part, the rebrand affected me more than I expected it to and, about a month before the decision was made to go back to blue, I decided not to renew my season ticket for 2015/16 if we were still going to be playing in red. Of course, saying you're going to do something and actually doing it are two very different things, but I'm about 95% sure I would have followed through on my decision. One of the reasons I'm so confident about that was that I had stopped enjoying games with Russell Slade as manager - I still maintain that the only truly entertaining home match that season was the one with eventual Champions Bournemouth.

Although I kinda welcomed Neil Warnock's appointment, I readied myself for more Slade like boredom as our new manager took us to safety by adopting effective, but hard to watch methods. Instead though, I find it's the exception rather than the rule if I go home from a game bored by what I've seen - Warnock's football has been effective, but, in home matches at least, it's also been enjoyable because this feels like my Cardiff City again.

The surprise, and disappointment, for me is that those who have stopped coming to games regularly (and I agree that the real drop away in attendances occurred during 14/15 when many who had bought season tickets in the hope we would still be in the Premier League just stopped turning up after a while) have been slow to come back despite the better results and more entertaining football. I lost my season ticket card a fortnight ago, so had to go through what a walk up supporter has to for the Brentford match and it is quite a production compared to the days when you could decide whether you were going to go to a game at about 2.15 and then walk in through a barely used turnstile ten minutes before kick off - this may partially explain why attendances have failed to rise despite our climb up the table in the last few months.

Out of the responses so far, I think Splott Parker may have come closest to providing a correct answer to my question - if such a thing exists.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 14-04-17 at 10:31.