+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What caused more people to stop supporting City?

Re: What caused more people to stop supporting City?

For me personally it was the rebrand, still don't see myself returning anytime soon.

If anything it just made me realise that the burden of emotional investment I was putting in was kind of silly; naturally I don't have anything against those that still do, but as person I'm so much better off without the stress of it all...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Good points, well made. But doesn't address the question raised.
    I sort of touched on it Nick by mentioning the fickleness of South Wales sports fans in general and that a bit of success will see gates improve, they've gone down due to the end of the heady days of Wembley, play offs etc. We seem to have levelled off at 14/15 thousand at the moment, not too bad I s'pose given the sub 10 thousand gates of not so long ago. Perhaps we need to accept that we, like many other clubs, have numerous floating fans who need a bit of convincing before showing their faces again. But fair play to those floating fans in the past when they've turned up they've got involved (I'm thinking the Leeds cup game, Swansea, Bristol City matches etc) and helped create great atmospheres and not just merely attended. We're not a Man City who still had 30 thousand plus in the league below the Championship (3rd Division, I call it) a few seasons ago but they're an exception to the rule, success will bring 'em back, I just hope the enthusiasm is still there, that's the worrying thing.

First Team

For me it's a lack of any connection between the supporters and the club. Once I felt that we mattered in some small way and were appreciated. Obviously that is not the case and we're are merely customers. In fairness it's not just the City but the overwhelming majority of clubs as the game because more of a battle on the balance sheet rather than the pitch. I still follow the club but as I live away from Cardiff it's just the odd few games that I get too these days. But when I am there it is just not the same anymore. Shame but things move on and maybe some day that feeling will return.

My mates and myself still go, still enjoy it. I go more regularly now than I did in the 90's. Only two guys I know who stopped going, one because of the rebrand, one because of Russell Slade.

A succession of shite managers

I still can’t quite believe this will be my last season following CCFC. I haven’t attended many games this year and I haven’t renewed my ST for next year, after 39 years of regular attendance.

Can’t put my finger on one single cause but the passion (aka pashun) has definitely gone and I no longer seem to care whether City win or lose, which would have been unthinkable during the NP era!

Another factor is the increasing cost of travelling to the games, which together with the ST cost, comes to about £800 a year. On a fixed pension income that is a significant sum to spend on something that is becoming a bit of a chore, plus the two and a half hour journey each way to the CCS doesn’t help either.

Maybe there is the “age thing” too – perhaps more important priorities now?

Unlike some others on the MB I have never regarded myself as anything other than a source of income for the club, rather than a “valued customer” (that’s a pretty fanciful notion in today’s football world) so that is not a factor.

Finally, maybe the apparent lack of enthusiasm from the players and the absence of the more committed local players like Joe Dwyer and Jason Perry has a more subtle demoralising effect.

With regard football in general I too am not interested in the Premier League – the only time I watched Match of the Day was when City were in that league. Maybe I’ll go support my local non-league team – at £5 a ticket I can manage that!

I have a ST but I agree that the clubs a little sterile lately. I still enjoy it but I don't have the same overwhelming passion I used to. It used to wind me up if we conceded last minute, these days I just shrug my shoulders.

Nothing to do with the rebrand. It's the stadium. The songs are all the same and very little banter between the opposition which used to liven up the dull games.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    My mates and myself still go, still enjoy it. I go more regularly now than I did in the 90's. Only two guys I know who stopped going, one because of the rebrand, one because of Russell Slade.
    .Exactly the same-our group has been going together now for about 10 years and still enjoy it-