+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone name this player? Or the year? Or even confirm it's definitely City?

Re: Can anyone name this player? Or the year? Or even confirm it's definitely City?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Another pic from 1985

Attachment 1431
    What a bloody awful team that was.

Always found the attire of managers a bit odd back then. There we have Alan Durban in socks and boots, sadly he would have been better on the pitch than in the dugout. Billy Ayre was another one who wore the socks and boots, but he was a nice bloke so that was okay.
    Last edited by Kris; 15-04-17 at 20:21.

Re: Can anyone name this player? Or the year? Or even confirm it's definitely City?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Another pic from 1985

Attachment 1431
    Back row- Durban, Leonard, Meacock, Rees, Turner, Smelt, Farrington, McLoughlin, Mullen

Front row- Micallef, Flynn, John Carver (future Newcastle manager), Gibbins, King, Ford, Vaughan, Tong and Withey.

Legends all. That picture was a pre-season shot, Marustik appears in October and the Allux sponsorship comes sometime in the second half of that heroic campaign but is gone again by the following season. Interesting shout about a captain's armband, it would almost certainly make it Mullen in the original picture but it really doesn't look like him to me. Good thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L00lqupICg

This is Wigan v Leeds in 1987. I thought the stands behind the goals were further away at Springfield, but it looks like that was just the "away" end to the left. Also, note that there is no perimeter fencing in the goal to the right. Sponsorship boards don't seem to match up, but this was the season after the one in the photo so that is explainable.

Here's a more recent, side-on photo of Jimmy Mullen that doesn't look anything like him (it looks more like Bob Willis). I know someone said earlier that it's all in the chin and, as in the original picture, there's an unusual ) type curve from under the nose to the end of the chin so it could well be the same person.

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/managers/jimmy-mullen/

I'm glad I'm not friends with him because every time he turned his head I'd be saying 'where's Jimmy?' and he'd say 'I am Jimmy'. I'd feel such a ninny.

I am not too sure that it is a Cardiff player, even though a pic has been posted of Mullen and Smelt wearing a kit with Allux sponsorship on it. If it is a game at Wigan, surely City would have been playing in Yellow and not what looks like a very dark red kit. If we were sponsored by Allux even part of the season then that info would have been available somewhere in the city archives. I am sure with all the combined football knowledge on this site, we will get this one in the end.
    Spedger

I have to say at first glance it doesn't look like Jimmy Mullen, but unless it has been photoshopped then it should be him. The second photo shows Mullen in a photo with Lee Smelt, and Smelt was only with us for the 84/5 and 85/6 season, and on loan to Exeter for the end of 84/5. I never went away then so don't know the away strip colours. So it could be either 84/5 or 85/6?

It's definitely from the second half of the 85-86 season. Anyone with programmes from that season may be able to help with exactly when the Allux sponsorship started. I've got a couple but they don't contain any pictures from the Wigan game although they do show us wearing the Allux shirt at home to Rotherham and Plymouth and away to Derby around that time.

Just found some old programmes from 85/6 season (homes) and the start of March 86 the covers show City wearing the home kit with 'Alex' as the sponsor quite clearly. Earlier in the same season there appears to be no sponsor on the shirt, so I assume it's post February 1986, but with snow in the photo it would be Feb or March 86 I think, definitely an away kit because we played din blue shirts, white shorts at home. Games from Feb onwards away were at Wigan, as previously stated on Feb 9, Derby Bournemouth, Barry and Bolton.

So it looks like it is at Wigan on Feb 9 , 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    It's definitely from the second half of the 85-86 season. Anyone with programmes from that season may be able to help with exactly when the Allux sponsorship started. I've got a couple but they don't contain any pictures from the Wigan game although they do show us wearing the Allux shirt at home to Rotherham and Plymouth and away to Derby around that time.
    What colour where the away shorts?

picjmullen.jpg

This is Jimmy Mullen from the same period in a similar,non sponsored shirt.

Glad to see the thread leading to much debate and reminiscing, was before my time as I would have been 3 years old in the season we've decided it was.

Thanks everyone for the help. Typical CCMB, I ask for a name of a player, and I get a name, a date, an opposition, a scoreline, a 1985/86 season review, a sponsorship debate, and even February weather forecasts.

Here's a more recent, side-on photo of Jimmy Mullen that doesn't look anything like him (it looks more like Bob Willis). I know someone said earlier that it's all in the chin and, as in the original picture, there's an unusual ) type curve from under the nose to the end of the chin so it could well be the same person.

http://www.leaguemanagers.com/managers/jimmy-mullen/

I'm glad I'm not friends with him because every time he turned his head I'd be saying 'where's Jimmy?' and he'd say 'I am Jimmy'. I'd feel such a ninny.

We're on the edge of a breakthrough here. My youngest knows Phil Brignull's son and Phil played in that Wigan game. My son's phone is dead but he's going to send the picture to Phil's son later, he'll send it to his dad, who will then reply to his son who will then pass the message on to my youngest who will then tell me. I'll then log on here to say that Phil can't remember if it was snowing at Wigan and doesn't know who it is in the picture. Give me an hour or two.

We're on the edge of a breakthrough here. My youngest knows Phil Brignull's son and Phil played in that Wigan game. My son's phone is dead but he's going to send the picture to Phil's son later, he'll send it to his dad, who will then reply to his son who will then pass the message on to my youngest who will then tell me. I'll then log on here to say that Phil can't remember if it was snowing at Wigan and doesn't know who it is in the picture. Give me an hour or two.
    Now thats going above and beyond.
    Try to get an answer before bedtime or I'll never sleep.

I don't suppose anyone can just get in touch with Jimmy Mullen and ask him?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I don't suppose anyone can just get in touch with Jimmy Mullen and ask him?

Far too simple an idea.

With no prompting, Phil said he's not 100% sure but reckons it's Chris Marustik.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    It doesn't look like Mullen either though. He agrees that it doesn't look like either of them but went for Marustik because Mullen never had a moustache but now I'm not sure if the player in the original picture has one or not, I don't think he does. Your point about the captain's armband is a great one. On the front of the March 15 1986 programme, there's a picture of City playing at Derby (in white shorts so its definitely not the game in question) and Marustik has a big black armband on his sleeve. It was the first game Mullen had missed that season and he was captain at the time so presumably he'd be the only one wearing an armband in any picture at that time apart from that game at Derby on March 1. Mullen only missed one other game, at Doncaster on April 12th, surely it wasn't snowing then?

Mullen only missed one other game, at Doncaster on April 12th, surely it wasn't snowing then?

No bloody idea any more.

Though as Prince once told us on the Parade album. 'Sometimes it snows in April'

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Mullen only missed one other game, at Doncaster on April 12th, surely it wasn't snowing then?

No bloody idea any more.

Though as Prince once told us on the Parade album. 'Sometimes it snows in April'
    Not a big Prince fan. Did he do any songs about it snowing in Wigan in February '86?

Not a big Prince fan. Did he do any songs about it snowing in Wigan in February '86?
    Probably, but its locked in his vault somewhere..

Rumour has it, there are a several masterpieces on the theme salted away in the infamous Paisley Park Vault.

The rest of my household are sat around the TV watching the 'eagerly anticipated' conclusion to Broadchurch.
    Broadchurch has nothing on this thread although I can confidently say it's not Lenny Henry in that photo.