+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone name this player? Or the year? Or even confirm it's definitely City?

Re: Can anyone name this player? Or the year? Or even confirm it's definitely City?

I checked out a few kits , badges & sponsors on this site, but not found it yet.
    Could be English League or Scottish or ..

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Engl...gue/index.html

Re: Can anyone name this player? Or the year? Or even confirm it's definitely City?

Looking at the historical kits, my guess is Walsall away 82/83. They had an admiral kit that season, the collars and cuffs look the same as that kit. No sign of it online though. Might be worth trying on a Walsall forum if anyone can be arsed registering on one.

It's definitely City from 1985/86, and the photo in this article proves it. (No, not that one, keep scrolling.)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifesty...-1985-10312390

Mullen is in this photo, and there seems to be a resemblance.

I don't remember that sponsor at all

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Chris Marustik
    I thought that for a bit. But looks more like Jimmy Mullen to me. It's all in the chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Pillock View Post
    It's definitely City from 1985/86, and the photo in this article proves it. (No, not that one, keep scrolling.)

Great stuff. Thanks Mr Pillock. That's cleared things up.

So, it is a City shirt and, in all likelihood, it's from 85/86 (Allux as our sponsors still means nothing to me though). Beef said the picture has probably come from a Wigan source, so you'd think that it was from City's game there on 8/2/86 (we lost 2-0, but then we lost most of our matches that season as we headed into Division Four for the first time in our history).

Our team that day was;-

Lee Smelt

Wayne Curtis
    Phil Brignull
    Jimmy Mullen
    David Giles

Mark Farrington
    Chris Marustik
    Nigel Vaughan
    Mike Ford

Rob Turner
    Paul Wheeler

Derrick Christie came on as a sub for Curtis

From what I remember of those players, there are three possibilities, Turner is one, but the player isn't tall enough for him and he was a youngster when he was with City (whoever that player is, he was no spring chicken then), Marustik, but the photo I posted on here earlier was taken during that season and I don't see that it's him, so I think it must be Mullen.

If hes from that team it has to be Mullen. Appears to be using his left peg as well.

I dont think its Marustik.

Its definately not Rob Turner. Cant see any resemblance at all to Turner Bob.

Great sleuthing!

God. What an awful side that was

What a great footy post , the ground doesn't look like Ninian Park, the stanchion's are white, and the advertising boards too high .

Definitely not Rob Turner. He was a youngster and he had blondish hair.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    What a great footy post , the ground doesn't look like Ninian Park, the stanchion's are white, and the advertising boards too high .
    As it's from a Wigan source, it's most likely Springfield Park - which means City wouldn't have been playing in blue. Did we have a red away kit in 85/86?

From the other photo (and the Historic Kits page) we had white shorts at home that season, and those shorts are clearly not white.

The away match in February 1986 would be the right time of year for it to be snowing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Pillock View Post

Definitely not Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, it is a City shirt and, in all likelihood, it's from 85/86 (Allux as our sponsors still means nothing to me though). Beef said the picture has probably come from a Wigan source, so you'd think that it was from City's game there on 8/2/86 (we lost 2-0, but then we lost most of our matches that season as we headed into Division Four for the first time in our history).

Our team that day was;-

Lee Smelt

Wayne Curtis
    Phil Brignull
    Jimmy Mullen
    David Giles

Mark Farrington
    Chris Marustik
    Nigel Vaughan
    Mike Ford

Rob Turner
    Paul Wheeler

Derrick Christie came on as a sub for Curtis

From what I remember of those players, there are three possibilities, Turner is one, but the player isn't tall enough for him and he was a youngster when he was with City (whoever that player is, he was no spring chicken then), Marustik, but the photo I posted on here earlier was taken during that season and I don't see that it's him, so I think it must be Mullen.
    Allux have never sponsored Cardiff. No concept of away sponsors back then.

If it's the Bluebird club crest (dragon, daffodil, like the current one but no Thai symbolism), then that wasn't used until 1985.

Sponsors that I remember
    Whitbread Wales
    Superted
    Camilleri Roofing
    MMA auctions
    Airways Cymru
    Buckley's
    Havelet Leasing
    South Wales Echo
    Gilesports
    Sports Cafe
    Brains (3rd kit)
    CMB
    Super Furry Animals
    Sports Cafe
    Modplan
    Ken Thorne's World of Cars
    Leekes
    Redrow
    Communications Direct
    Vans Direct
    SBOBet
    Ty Hafan (for the kids whilst being sponsored by a bookie)
    That dodgy Filipino company (1 match)
    The entire country of Malaysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Allux have never sponsored Cardiff. No concept of away sponsors back then.
    Sir does seem so very sure ;)
    Did you forget to read any of the posts above?!

2nd photo down.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post

2nd photo down.

Wow!! I can never remember them sponsoring the club. I felt sure the badge had been photoshopped on. Ah well, as you were, ignore all my contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post

2nd photo down.

I'm wondering if perhaps it was a shirt sponsorship that fell through for some reason like Ken Thorne or 888 Ball and was changed during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I'm wondering if perhaps it was a shirt sponsorship that fell through for some reason like Ken Thorne or 888 Ball and was changed during the season.
    Brian Lewis looks like a reputable businessman. Is the company still going?

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Brian Lewis looks like a reputable businessman. Is the company still going?

Good notion Barry - though they must have played under that sponsorship at least once - who knows if there were many more. Seems quite feasible that there were not.

TBF Kris - you clearly know your onions - far more than most of us might, fair play.
    That kit/sponsor seems an elusive one, which is how and why the thread got started I guess.

Even looking at it now, the shorts are still apparently the 'wrong' colour for the era.

If we are going with the Wigan defeat in Feb. of 86. due to it being a Wigan source, its hard to tell but is he wearing a captains armband on his left sleeve? it looks like he maybe.
    If so, who was captain that day/season?

According to historical kits we had the Admiral shirt with pin stripes sponsored by Airways Cymru between 85-87. So that one does seem to be the away kit.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Card...rdiff_City.htm

Another pic from 1985

IMG_4077.JPG