+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Whitts

Whitts

Class is permanent, form is temporary
    Fans moan about a lack of loyalty shown by players and yet when we see real loyalty demonstrated by someone who richly deserves legendary status in most supporters eyes, some would-be happy to see Whitts leave at the end of the season?

Would you keep Whitts if it was your choice?

Re: Whitts

All depends on what it will cost the club to keep him.
    There is a budget to stick to and I don't see him as a consistent starter next season, so his wages will need to reflect that if we want to improve our squad elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Class is permanent, form is temporary
    Fans moan about a lack of loyalty shown by players and yet when we see real loyalty demonstrated by someone who richly deserves legendary status in most supporters eyes, some would-be happy to see Whitts leave at the end of the season?

Would you keep Whitts if it was your choice?
    Straight yes or no answer for me would be a very, very reluctant no - there's still a big part of me that hopes he will stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    All depends on what it will cost the club to keep him.
    There is a budget to stick to and I don't see him as a consistent starter next season, so his wages will need to reflect that if we want to improve our squad elsewhere
    We have had a fantastic relationship with Whitts' over many years but this is the next part of it. I would pay him higher than most squad/bench players, his presence will have a great input, but pay should reflect status and needs of the club.

I'd put him in the same bracket as Marshall. A good player that you expect lots from and can show more magical performances than you can shake a stick at but has some really frustrating points to his game too...

I think that Warnock has, for the first time in ages, pushed Whitts back up the field to where he really belongs. He has had too many seasons playing as a "central defender" rather than an "attacking midfielder", and it could take another pre-season to reeducate him back to his more natural attacking ways. The last five minutes of the first half of the Brentford game was so frustrating as we turned a promising attack into a full blown retreat ending up with the ball going back to McGregor. Too many times these last few seasons we've seen plays like this and Whitts, and increasingly Ralls, are usually involved. A good deal of that comes with management of the team but especially the type of play the manager wants the team to work at. Slade's "punt and chase" or Paulk's "defence is the best form of defence" style means that Whitts and other players were given shackles. One thing that Warnock has done is to create a trustworthy back four (well 3 out of four but that's another opinion/story) thus allowing a more attacking style of play. Fast flank attacks and with Zohore, arguably being this seasons most improved player, means that Whitts can finally get back to doing what he does best (or wants).

Since coming back to be one of the starters over the last few games shows that Warnock still has confidence in Whitts even if sometimes he doubts his own. As we saw on Saturday he has a mercurial ability of causing moans from fans angered by his negative defeatist / over cautious style of play one minute to getting standing ovations the next with his pinpoint cross field passes or a shot to nothing (right footed too) for the game winning goal. Just for these soap opera-esque moments alone he's worth every penny in my opinion.

Good point touched on in that last post.
    Zohore is very effective with the ball over the top.
    However these are not as easy as you'd think as the ball has to be just right.
    Whitts hasn't had a player of this type in front of him for some time and would appear the ideal player to take advantage of this option. Ralls can do it, but not as well, Gunnar- no chance, although it's not his game to be fair

Yes and I think he will stay as well.

Feedback

Whitts is at his best when he has players in front looking for space. He hasn't really had that since Chopra and bothroyd.

keep him, albeit on a wage we can afford. Pace was never part of his game so he hasn't really lost much over ten years.

Keep him,he's the best footballer we've got by a country mile. He may not run around like a headless chicken but he's never done that in his career. MKe him a sensible offer and possibly a coaching role in the future.

He's a neat and tidy footballer. Frustratingly lethargic at times and ecstatically pleasing at other times also. I think a one year contract on decent money is fair enough. The problem is I just don't see him as a warnock player ,and whenever he is in a midfield we seem to carry him when defending.

Great servant and provider of some of the best City memories ever.

His time is almost up however, and he knows it. He has been a bit part player this season and some of our best performances have been without Whitts.
    It has been evident that Warnock's teams need to be able to defend from the front as well as provide a forward threat and this is where he is found wanting.

That said, hope he accepts an offer from us rather than trying to prolong his career at a lesser club. He can still pick out a pass, a threat going forward and is cool under pressure. Handy to have on the bench.

As said above, he's never been a defender, he's just been placed in that roles by all managers since Jones.
    Played behind the strikers, he's at his best.
    He's never had pace, but his positioning and vision means he doesn't need it, and he can pick out a pass almost as well as Mcphail did.
    Keep. Please.

Yes, keep him, albeit not as first choice and his contract should reflect his age and squad status. I hope he stays but I don't see him as a 90minute player anymore.

Simple one for me......yes, keep him.
    Whitts is still one of our best players IMO

Yes I would keep him as a squad player providing he accepts the reduced contract the club will offer him. Warnock has already stated he needs legs around him, might be ok with home games but not away.