What a red!!!!

Re: World snooker championships thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    How about now?
    I hope not!!

Happy to be wrong

Might be just me but this tournament I feel Selby has got so much luck in the balls, albeit he has taken that luck and put in some cracking performances, but he gets some incredible flicks and kisses that other players never seem to get
    No it's not you I've noticed too. Today it's been unbelievable in his favour so maybe that black deserved to go against him.

John's safety been a bit lacklustre and that's what might cost him here

who is the smelly ned in the front row with the tacky elizabeth duke chains on?

Banned

No way should Higgins be allowed to play snooker. Scruffy 6 month ban when Stephen Lee had 12 years.
    Google John Higgins cheat video for those that don't know.
    Disgrace to his sport

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    No way should Higgins be allowed to play snooker. Scruffy 6 month ban when Stephen Lee had 12 years.
    Disgrace to his sport
    Yes he got away with his pure greed very lightly whilst Lee was hammered.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yes he got away with his pure greed very lightly whilst Lee was hammered.
    Exactly.
    He said he feared for his life so just went with it. What did him and his agent think they were going to when they met those notw blokes?
    Lee had much less evidence against him.

Exactly.
    He said he feared for his life so just went with it. What did him and his agent think they were going to when they met those notw blokes?
    For whatever reason Higgins was given the benefit of the doubt. Lee wasn't. All incredibly dubious given Higgins appeared to agree a deal for match fixing.
    As for Lee I can't see him returning to the game. He was struggling for form before his ban and will be well past his best when the band ends.

Congrats to Selby, but sad when he's won it three times and a class talent like Jimmy White hasn't won it once

Congrats to Selby, but sad when he's won it three times and a class talent like Jimmy White hasn't won it once
    White had his chances. 14-8 up one year. Missed a black of the spot in the decider in 1994. I remember taking a new blank video out of the cellophane to record that frame. I ejected it after White missed that sitter and ripped the tape out of it. Couldn't believe it.

Exactly.
    I felt much the same as you so did a bit of research on this .

Apparently, Higgins was lured to the Ukraine by the NOW on the pretence of a major sponsorship deal, when there he was asked if he would throw frames of snooker for money. He agreed , but never did.
    The defence was he was like a rabbit in the headlamps and had nowhere to go but agree to the proposal.
    His agent at the time was banned for life.

It was a very controversial decision to ban him for 6 months , snooker was on the decline and no one wants to watch a sport where the result is predetermined by the players.
    I stopped watching snooker around that time as did many more I would guess.

Steve Davis was saying snooker is growing massively world wide even if it is in decline in this country.

I watched most of the final as I had bet Selby to win when he was 4-2 down , and doubled it with Spurs .A rare profitable weekend.

With a bet on it it was very watchable.

Disgrace to his sport
    Giving Stephen Lee a 12 year ban was effectively banning him for life because he was a heart attack waiting to happen

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Giving Stephen Lee a 12 year ban was effectively banning him for life because he was a heart attack waiting to happen
    He is now fatter than ever as well.

As far as the Higgins case goes, he never actually threw a frame which is why he wasn't banned for a prolonged period. Stephen Lee's case, there are 15-16 matches where it could have happened. There's one shot he plays from pink to black, a child could play it and finish perfectly, just roll it in plain ball and somehow he ends up behind the black on the cushion playing running side.

He is now fatter than ever as well.

As far as the Higgins case goes, he never actually threw a frame which is why he wasn't banned for a prolonged period. Stephen Lee's case, there are 15-16 matches where it could have happened. There's one shot he plays from pink to black, a child could play it and finish perfectly, just roll it in plain ball and somehow he ends up behind the black on the cushion playing running side.
    Why didn't he throw a match then? Maybe because he became aware that he'd been stung.
    This is the same guy who tried to bet against himself winning in the World Championship previously.
    Can't understand why he's cut so much slack the guy is a greedy Cnut and rotten to the core. He's happy to destroy the sport that gave him so much

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Why didn't he throw a match then? Maybe because he became aware that he'd been stung.
    This is the same guy who tried to bet against himself winning in the World Championship previously.
    Can't understand why he's cut so much slack the guy is a greedy Cnut and rotten to the core. He's happy to destroy the sport that gave him so much
    I'm not defending him, I'm just saying he never actually went through with it - whether he planned it or not is something different. I'm baffled as to why he would have done anyway, he's a millionaire ffs.

I don't know much about what happened but during the final Ken Dodd was trying that shot of the tournament and Higgins behind him said "10/1". Bit awkward.

I'm not defending him, I'm just saying he never actually went through with it - whether he planned it or not is something different. I'm baffled as to why he would have done anyway, he's a millionaire ffs.
    He is a Celtic supporter .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I felt much the same as you so did a bit of research on this .

Apparently, Higgins was lured to the Ukraine by the NOW on the pretence of a major sponsorship deal, when there he was asked if he would throw frames of snooker for money. He agreed , but never did.
    The defence was he was like a rabbit in the headlamps and had nowhere to go but agree to the proposal.
    His agent at the time was banned for life.

It was a very controversial decision to ban him for 6 months , snooker was on the decline and no one wants to watch a sport where the result is predetermined by the players. Doesn't seem to bother WWF fans.
    I stopped watching snooker around that time as did many more I would guess.

Steve Davis was saying snooker is growing massively world wide even if it is in decline in this country.

I watched most of the final as I had bet Selby to win when he was 4-2 down , and doubled it with Spurs .A rare profitable weekend.

With a bet on it it was very watchable.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I don't know much about what happened but during the final Ken Dodd was trying that shot of the tournament and Higgins behind him said "10/1". Bit awkward.
    Diddy?

great game on at the moment, come on Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    great game on at the moment, come on Mark!
    What a pink that was!

Well done Mark Williams another crucible world final...could turn out to be a great weekend for South Wales.