Not watched snooker for years now and even when I did watch it in the days of 3/4 channels, the world championships was the only tournament worth a look.
I remember the hours of being gripped by the likes of Cliff Thorburn (his amazing televised 147) and Terry "no rush" Griffiths. Ray "Dracula" Reardon and other Welshman Doug Mountjoy. All household names.
One could even sit through super boring Eddie Charlton!

This year, I have watched a handful of frames at various times involving a variety of players but Ronnie O'Sullivan is the only one that makes me watch for any length of time.
Yes, there are many who are technically gifted and mentally strong, but this guy seems to be on another level. He has so much stage presence. He wants to entertain.

Sport (and I use the word loosely in this case) in general is not just about winning these days, it's how you perform and not acceptable to just win.

Not sure how popular snooker in this day and age, doubt it's anywhere near the 70's&80's figures, but if O'Sullivan gets beat (he's currently 3 frames adrift) I for one shan't be watching any more of it. I suspect many more won't be either.

I'd be interested to know if many remember the days I describe felt the same way, and are still as gripped by the game as people were back then.
Also, if there was ever a man as gifted and entertaining as Ronnie O'Sullivan.