Get yourself a criminal record, quick.

Re: Jury Service Summons

Don`t like Sting, so thats out.

Get yourself pregnant

Don't !!!!

It's the best earner going

You can't get out of it, unless you die.

all top notch advice, next

Quote Originally Posted by Philbccfc View Post
    all top notch advice, next
    I got out twice. Once I was travelling in oz, work said they couldn't do without me 2nd. Nowadays you're only hope is deferment.

Shag the judge and claim a conflict of interests.

Don't get out if it, it's an amazing experience if you get a case, a great insight into the justice system. Though I know people who spend 2 weeks reading in waiting room.

it would be if i wasn`t so busy, and have a holiday booked about 4 weeks after (cases sometimes last longer than 2 weeks)

Thoroughly enjoyed my jury duty service. It was an alarming look into the incompetent prosecution service and also the lack of knowledge of different people on the jury.

The prosecution failed to provide any maps / layout of an area in question. Whilst the defence was fully prepared.

Elderly woman on the jury had no knowledge of what a nightclub was and thought it was somewhere were young women and men go for a dance and exchange numbers, before elegantly retiring to their seats around the ball room.

This was topped of by a guy who thought he was a cross between Poirot and Colombo. Making up a whole background story based on nothing to determine what the defendant was doing at the time.

i've done jury service for 2 weeks back in the 90's . a panel of 10 decides whether you send someone down or not depending on the evidence on both sides ! having gone through the process makes me wonder how many people who are found guilty are not ! a very strange system indeed when so much depends on it .

bigamy

Say you're prejudiced against all races.

I've done it twice and found it highly interesting,some of the people on the juries are either unbelievably naive or thick.

I've got out of it twice. The first time was in 1976 and it was because I was in the system so to speak - I was a clerk at Cardiff Magistrates Court. I wouldn't recommend the way I got out of it the second time to anyone - after a morning of waiting around, I was just about to go into court to be sworn in when I was told there was a phone call for me. My father had been rushed to hospital after collapsing at home - I was given permission to leave straight away, but when I got to the Heath, I was told he had died in the ambulance - hardly surprisingly, I was told not to bother coming in the next day when I contacted the court about what had happened.

If I ever get another summons, I think I'll ask my doctor if they could wrote a note recommending that I be excused because of the painful memories it would bring back.

If you are in a particularly harrowing case I believe you get excused from doing it again - short term pain for long term gain?

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    i've done jury service for 2 weeks back in the 90's . a panel of 10 decides whether you send someone down or not depending on the evidence on both sides ! having gone through the process makes me wonder how many people who are found guilty are not ! a very strange system indeed when so much depends on it .
    A panel of 12

Can someone explain the situation if you're self employed? E.g. Say you earn £500 a week and you get called for service which lasts for two weeks, I highly doubt the court would be willing to shell out £1000 on one jury member. For the person who is self employed losing £1000 is just not feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Can someone explain the situation if you're self employed? E.g. Say you earn £500 a week and you get called for service which lasts for two weeks, I highly doubt the court would be willing to shell out £1000 on one jury member. For the person who is self employed losing £1000 is just not feasible.
    Not jury service but back in 2002 I was summoned as a witness for the prosecution against the police. I spent 2 weeks in the waiting room and I wasn't even called for evidence.
    At the time I was self employed and I was paid out for my loss of earnings in full. I can't remember what I was earning back then but I had a nice little pay out.
    Surely there must be a cap on how much you can claim but I got no idea on the figure.

I got out of it but always wanted to do it!!!,

I got the call not long out of hospital 6 years ago, told them I wasn't mentally & physically up to it, which, I wasn't at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Not jury service but back in 2002 I was summoned as a witness for the prosecution against the police. I spent 2 weeks in the waiting room and I wasn't even called for evidence.
    At the time I was self employed and I was paid out for my loss of earnings in full. I can't remember what I was earning back then but I had a nice little pay out.
    Surely there must be a cap on how much you can claim but I got no idea on the figure.
    The courts will pay a maximum of £64.95 per day for the first 10 days of jury service. Plus travel exp. Done it 3 times, can't be called up again , 3 times is max.

I also did it 3 times. The first time my headmaster asked me to get it deferred which they did.

However I was told that if I tried to defer again they'd call me up in the summer holidays !

Needless to say I went when called.

It is a great experience and I'd do it again if I had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Neathblue63 View Post
    The courts will pay a maximum of £64.95 per day for the first 10 days of jury service. Plus travel exp. Done it 3 times, can't be called up again , 3 times is max.
    I would hazard a guess that at least 70% of people earn more than £64.95 a day. No wonder so many people try to get out of it.
    Like I said, I was summoned as a witness, and taking in to account inflation I'm sure I was paid more than that.

I enjoyed it and would do it again given the opportunity.
    It was a bit harrowing at times, but I doubt that many cases deal with particularly disturbing matters.

My then Director had the option to seek to override my Jury appointment, but he wanted to support the system and chose not to consider it.

I'm not sure he felt the same - seven weeks later.. ;)