+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Major Presee Conference at 11:15 - what will it be

Re: Major Presee Conference at 11:15 - what will it be

What is a Presee ?

Something you get at Xmas ?

Re: Major Press Conference at 11:15 - what will it be

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    It's certainly an xmas present for Corbyn
    He can have some time off after the GE, surely he is tired of it all by now.

There is an interesting discussion on radio5 - some Labour MPs saying they will against the vote for the GE tomorrow.
    There were other Labour supporters saying bring it on - Corbyn will lose - and then he can go. Although he will probably get voted back in - as he automatically has the right to stand in any new Labour leadership contest.

The SNP are saying they want it to fight against the Tories - although they may have a surprise coming to them.

The Lib Dems (all 8 of them) want it to be a Brexit general election.

It would be the comedy of ALL comedies - if (against all the odds) Corbyn wins, what would he do ? - he was an 'outer' having voted against joining in the first place and voting against all the other EU treaties - he is then faced with the prospect of leading the Brexit negotiation process
    If the election goes as badly as most people think it will for his party, surely even Corbyn will realise that he will look ridiculous trying to cling on to his job.

For me, Corbyn has, typically, got it completely wrong already. Back in 2010 it was announced by a Coalition Government in which the Conservatives were the biggest party that we should have five year set term elections in the national interest and now the first time there is a tory majority, all that gets ripped up two years after the last vote on the altar of grubby party considerations.

The best laugh I've had since the election was announced was listening to John Redwood tie himself up in knots as he tried to reconcile his earlier opinion that holding an early election would be a purely cynical move with his current view that Theresa May was right to go to the country.

For the last few weeks we've been told about how "normal" Government would, effectively, stop in the wake of the tremendously important Brexit negotiations and now we are getting a General Election when most experts say it will be impossible to fit in all of Brexit work needed to be done in the time allocated.

You barely heard from Theresa May during the Brexit vote and it only emerged after the event that she has spoken to some people, somewhere about backing the remain side, now she seems to be advocating a harder Brexit than anyone expected from a tory party with her in charge. She said she wouldn't be looking for an early election, but now she's called one - you cannot trust anything Mrs May says.

That would be the line I'd be following if I were the leader of an opposition party as I argued that now is not the time for snap general elections called on party political rather than national grounds and I expect some of them might do, but the leader of the party who, despite the current woes, is really the only possible alternative to the tories when it comes to forming a UK Government won't do so and, hopefully, he'll pay for that by losing his job.

Bob - correct me if I am wrong but I think Corbyn had the rules changed so that in the event of any subsequent Labour leadership election - the previous incumbent would automatically have the right to go on the ballot paper.

Which would mean you would have the bizarre episode of Corbyn resigning to allow the party to choose a new leader, he automatically goes back on the list - and he'll win again as he'll have the majority support of the Labour party (niot including the the parliamentary Labour party).

What are the odds on Dianne Abbot or Tom Watson I wonder, dream ticket and both Labour heavyweights in their own right.

Personally I dont think it's over yet - here is a prediction - there will be a new party created of like minded Labour / Lib Dem / Tory / Plaid and SNP supporters - that will stand on a single ticket of getting the UK back into the EU or single market and if they win , they will then call an election after 2018 - so a new Govt can take over.

Blair / Paddy Pantsdown / Sturgeon / Wood alliance - a bit far fetched - but in the current climate entirely possible
    Corbyn may be able to stand again in any leadership election, but isn't the point that, if Labour do as badly as predicted, he will jump, rather than be pushed?