+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting article on Welsh football (highlights include WPL and developments for women's game)

Interesting article on Welsh football (highlights include WPL and developments for women's game)

http://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/04...elsh-football/

It starts and finishes on perhaps a bit too positive a note (Euros, Woodburn) for what has been a little bit of a come down however the middle sees many different topics covered which helps provide a widespread piece which will remind you of all the good work being done at various levels and some of the more obvious challenges ahead. Highlights include comments on the WPL and how young girls are being encouraged into the game.

Re: Interesting article on Welsh football (highlights include WPL and developments for women's game)

There are still massive holes in the FaW structure, in the valleys some 10 miles from the center of Cardiff and with Children it is difficult to find footballing programs to get my children into. There is a local grassroots team that runs through a series of local volunteers, but nothing like what the FaW are claiming on that site. As a parent i have never heard of beatball, and i have kids that partake in programs like netball tots, rugby tots, gymnastics and the new all star cricket platform. Surely the FaW should be competing with these platforms.

The local Rugby club run a very organised youth structure. As a football fan even im keen to get my child into this, because it is so well run, the opportunities that would be available to him would be too good to miss. Would i prefer this to be football, of course i would however it just isn't there.

I play cricket and in this i see lots of sporting young players 99% of these are in Rugby systems, there was one lad who was in the Cardiff City youth structures, i cant see him being kept on, there seems to be very few opportunities for him in Wales for him to keep playing football.

That being said i am seeing pitches in our area converting into 3g pitches.