+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British & Irish Lions

Re: British & Irish Lions

I love all the English hate for Gatland in those BBC comments. I have posted on there myself just pointing out that when Lord Bald made his Lions selection in 2005 he selected 20 Englishmen with three more to join the squad if fit. He selected just 9 Welshmen.Wales had just won the Grand Slam.

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    I got no interest in rugby but I am interested in facts and figures.
    So, can someone explain to me why they need to take a squad of 41 players?
    Surely a squad of 30 players would be enough, 2 for each position, and a few on stand by incase of injuries.
    It's two teams effectively, a midweek team and a weekend team. Fixtures come thick and fast on a Lions tour.

It's a brave call by Gatland - see picking Jamie Roberts or only two Scottish players - but he's got it right in primarily and English side and I'm sure there is an argument that you are not picking your best 40 odd players but picking a squad that can win a series. Don't forget that 3+ of those picked now are next to guaranteed to be injured for the final test and while you can bring in individual quality from back-up you may not be able to bring in the right person for the squad so easily.

It's a brave call but not as biased and predictably so as Clive Woodward.

Scotland do ok in one 6nations in about 20 years, and all of a sudden they are outraged because they only got 3 players selected. Gatland was always gonna pick a lot of Welsh players, because he knows them. Just like Graham Henry, and Lord bald did in previous lion's tours

First Team

There are some strange choices but they probably reflect the style that Gatland is going to deploy.
    Yes, there are too many Welsh players in there and the likes of the Gray brothers,Launchbury and Haskell are unlucky too miss out.
    It matters not a jot though as this is going to be a whitewash and they could pick anyone and the result would not change.
    The only plus point is that Gatland can shoulder the blame and his dated style of play can be consigned to the tip.

Garland said he and his team never consided people's nationality , I believe every word he says , just as I do listening to Arry

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    scottish or scots not scotch you ****ing moon unit
    Is the Moon Unit you are on about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOHHwwqAN5s