+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 81

Thread: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

  1. #41

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Admittedly I looked a few weeks ago, and he's scored a few goals since then. It's still 25 in 85, which is hardly setting the world alight. The Bellamy quote was at that fan's meeting, and was reported on here by multiple reliable sources. I can't remember who but they all came back and said CB laid into him.
    The debate doesn't seem to be whether he can set the world alight or not, but if he can kick a ball let alone is he good enough to be a pro. 25 in 85 confirms that he is.

    He will always go down as one of our worst signings because he was too expensive and too raw, but he's clearly good enough to make a living in the game and at a level that the majority of players aren't good enough to reach.

  2. #42

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The debate doesn't seem to be whether he can set the world alight or not, but if he can kick a ball let alone is he good enough to be a pro. 25 in 85 confirms that he is.

    He will always go down as one of our worst signings because he was too expensive and too raw, but he's clearly good enough to make a living in the game and at a level that the majority of players aren't good enough to reach.
    He's good enough in Denmark but there were concerns in Denmark at the time about his readiness to step up, which I must admit I ignored at the time. For one thing or another, he was not the player we desperately needed and even though he's far superior to 99.9% of people who've ever used this messageboard (Ross McCormack being one!) he still should go down as one of the worst players we've had. Be it jealousy or whatever, he was spoken about in a very unfavourable light by one of his fellow pros and that sticks in my throat.

  3. #43

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's good enough in Denmark but there were concerns in Denmark at the time about his readiness to step up, which I must admit I ignored at the time. For one thing or another, he was not the player we desperately needed and even though he's far superior to 99.9% of people who've ever used this messageboard (Ross McCormack being one!) he still should go down as one of the worst players we've had. Be it jealousy or whatever, he was spoken about in a very unfavourable light by one of his fellow pros and that sticks in my throat.
    I meant he's good enough to play at a level that the majority of pros aren't, not the majority of CCMB users...

  4. #44

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Funny, people were saying the same about Zohore..

    Maybe if Cornelius was given a chance like Zohore was he would've looked as good, if not better, and developed into a top flight player, as I expect Zohore to.

  5. #45

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Funny, people were saying the same about Zohore..

    Maybe if Cornelius was given a chance like Zohore was he would've looked as good, if not better, and developed into a top flight player, as I expect Zohore to.
    He was Denmarks Young Player of the Year, chased by big clubs throughout Europe and was scoring goals for fun at a very young age.

    We paid OTT for him

    What he didn't deserve was to be used as a pawn in an inhouse feud, publicly humiliated by the owner and hung out to dry. He was a 20 year old kid, playing football in a new country and was given 6 months (although he was written off long before he left).

    Bellamy has clearly been proved wrong on this one if the stories of what he said are true. Looks like our next manager doesn't recognise a talent when it's right in front of him!

  6. #46

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    He was Denmarks Young Player of the Year, chased by big clubs throughout Europe and was scoring goals for fun at a very young age.

    We paid OTT for him

    What he didn't deserve was to be used as a pawn in an inhouse feud, publicly humiliated by the owner and hung out to dry. He was a 20 year old kid, playing football in a new country and was given 6 months (although he was written off long before he left).

    Bellamy has clearly been proved wrong on this one if the stories of what he said are true. Looks like our next manager doesn't recognise a talent when it's right in front of him!
    That about sums it up.

  7. #47

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    He was Denmarks Young Player of the Year, chased by big clubs throughout Europe and was scoring goals for fun at a very young age.

    We paid OTT for him

    What he didn't deserve was to be used as a pawn in an inhouse feud, publicly humiliated by the owner and hung out to dry. He was a 20 year old kid, playing football in a new country and was given 6 months (although he was written off long before he left).

    Bellamy has clearly been proved wrong on this one if the stories of what he said are true. Looks like our next manager doesn't recognise a talent when it's right in front of him!
    Absolutely.

    Every word out of the club about Corn Dog was running with the idea that Mackay failed to perform his duties properly.

    Wasn't his transfer used as a part of the suing of Mackay?.

    Didn't Vinny over see the deals to flog him quickly?.

    It is done now and there is little point in getting worked up about it. But I'd take bellamys comments with a pinch of salt given he has been employed throughout this period by Vinny T.

  8. #48

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Apparently reports in Denmark suggest that we do have a sell on clause with a 'large proportion' of the fee due to us. If true this could provide a decent boost to Warnock's Summer transfer kitty.

    http://the72.co.uk/79435/cardiff-cit...-danish-media/

  9. #49

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Absolutely.

    Every word out of the club about Corn Dog was running with the idea that Mackay failed to perform his duties properly.

    Wasn't his transfer used as a part of the suing of Mackay?.

    Didn't Vinny over see the deals to flog him quickly?.

    It is done now and there is little point in getting worked up about it. But I'd take bellamys comments with a pinch of salt given he has been employed throughout this period by Vinny T.
    Is that his stage name?

    I agree, we gave up on Cornelius far too early, especially taking into account he was only a kid and coming off an injury, I hope he goes on to have a good career

  10. #50

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Andreas Cornelius is better than Kenneth Zohore

  11. #51

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My understanding at the time was that he was brought in as one for the future. That might have been a good ploy. However, we didn't buy a decent striker that was ready to start games, neither did we invest in any pace. For a while we worked hard and ground out the odd result here and there, but the limitations of the squad were all too evident. In that respect, it was a mistake to have signed Cornelius, simply because the money would have been better spent on someone who, hopefully, would have started most games that season.
    Summed up perfectly.
    He wasn't as rubbish as some made out.
    However for slightly more money we could have signed Wilfred Bony ( we were in for him before Swansea) and probably stated up and made a 10m profit.

    Spending most of your striker transfer budget on 'one for the future' when you best alternative is Campbell was total stupidity and cost Malky his job and ultimately our place at the top table IMHO.

  12. #52

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Funny, people were saying the same about Zohore..

    Maybe if Cornelius was given a chance like Zohore was he would've looked as good, if not better, and developed into a top flight player, as I expect Zohore to.
    Also Gestede - total money spent on him 12m.

  13. #53

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Apparently reports in Denmark suggest that we do have a sell on clause with a 'large proportion' of the fee due to us. If true this could provide a decent boost to Warnock's Summer transfer kitty.

    http://the72.co.uk/79435/cardiff-cit...-danish-media/
    Optimistic.

  14. #54

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Also Gestede - total money spent on him 12m.
    Gestede isn't a top flight quality player and the fact that 12m has been spent on him is baffling

    He's a decent Championship striker, nothing more than that

  15. #55
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    6,694

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My understanding at the time was that he was brought in as one for the future. That might have been a good ploy. However, we didn't buy a decent striker that was ready to start games, neither did we invest in any pace. For a while we worked hard and ground out the odd result here and there, but the limitations of the squad were all too evident. In that respect, it was a mistake to have signed Cornelius, simply because the money would have been better spent on someone who, hopefully, would have started most games that season.
    Wasn't the 'one for the future' line brought out by Malky when it became clear Cornelius wasn't good enough - whether that was injuries, fitness problems, lack of experience or ability? Cornelius himself thought he was signing for Cardiff to play in the first team in the Premier League.

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...s-cardiff-city

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23085388

    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...triker-4726359

  16. #56

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Gestede isn't a top flight quality player and the fact that 12m has been spent on him is baffling

    He's a decent Championship striker, nothing more than that
    Yet, he's playing at that level and 12m has been spent on him. Some fans thought he was useless too, just like Cornelius who looks set to be playing in Serie A next season.

  17. #57

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wasn't the 'one for the future' line brought out by Malky when it became clear Cornelius wasn't good enough - whether that was injuries, fitness problems, lack of experience or ability? Cornelius himself thought he was signing for Cardiff to play in the first team in the Premier League.

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...s-cardiff-city

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23085388

    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...triker-4726359
    Definitely. He was going to be our number one striker and then we saw him play...

  18. #58

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Yet, he's playing at that level and 12m has been spent on him. Some fans thought he was useless too, just like Cornelius who looks set to be playing in Serie A next season.
    Playing at a certain level and having money spent on you doesn't equate to being a Premier League quality player
    He's made 46 Premier League appearances and scored 6 goals, he's not a Premier League quality player

  19. #59

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Playing at a certain level and having money spent on you doesn't equate to being a Premier League quality player
    He's made 46 Premier League appearances and scored 6 goals, he's not a Premier League quality player
    In your opinion. Not in the opinion of two PL managers.

  20. #60

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by CCFCPhil View Post
    In your opinion. Not in the opinion of two PL managers.

    Both of whom were sacked very soon after signing Rudy & are no longer PL managers. In fact neither are currently a manager at any level

  21. #61

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by CCFCPhil View Post
    In your opinion. Not in the opinion of two PL managers.
    And where are they now?

    Gestede isn't a bad player, but he's not Premier League quality

  22. #62

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    And where are they now?

    Gestede isn't a bad player, but he's not Premier League quality
    Where's Gestede now. I'll give you a clue, playing at a much higher level than Cardiff fans thought he could. Same fans criticising Cornelius off the back of a few sub appearances.

  23. #63

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Where's Gestede now. I'll give you a clue, playing at a much higher level than Cardiff fans thought he could. Same fans criticising Cornelius off the back of a few sub appearances.
    And about to be relegated back down to the Championship, having been relegated last season as well

  24. #64

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Bit of history rewriting going on here. Cornelius was not even good enough to be an apology for a footballer when with us.

    I'm going to suggest he might be slightly better now but I'd still not want him over Zohore based on what I saw him unable to do with my own eyes.

  25. #65

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Cornelius was a total waste of space. Rumours about him being homesick and this that and the other. Kids his age are going off to fight in wars, and he was whinging about coming to Cardiff and earning 30 grand a weak. I hope he breaks his leg in serie a. Fuking g fraud

  26. #66

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    And about to be relegated back down to the Championship, having been relegated last season as well
    43 games in the EPL and still yet to finish on the winning side.

    In all fairness he's breaking Premiership records. Utter garbage

  27. #67

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Bit of history rewriting going on here.
    http://http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/cardiff-chief-executive-simon-lim-slams-former-manager-malky-mackay-over-imprudent-and-careless-9127535.html

    Comment from Paul Lim in 2014: "To commit the club to a significant cost and liability over a five year contract for one player is not prudent, especially as he was not to contribute to our success now, but was for the future."

  28. #68

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Where's Gestede now. I'll give you a clue, playing at a much higher level than Cardiff fans thought he could. Same fans criticising Cornelius off the back of a few sub appearances.
    I remember Kenny Dalglish commenting how he rated Gestede after the Carling cup final.

  29. #69

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    My impression is that, of Rudy Gestede and Fraizer Campbell, more City fans prefer Campbell. Both Campbell and Gestede have made 17 Premier League starts since leaving Cardiff City, while Gestede has come off the bench 4 more times than Campbell. Gestede has scored 6 PL goals since leaving us, Campbell 5.

    In terms of goals at least, it could be argued that Gestede is marginally the better striker. I can't say I was the greatest fan of either of them and I'm not looking to put up a case for Gestede, but thought I'd leave that with you.

  30. #70

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    With the Cornelius to Atalanta deal now done and no mention of us receiving any sell on clause we once again see another example of Vincent Tans business prowess.

    The guy is a well connected idiot of the highest order

    Good luck Acorn go show him up further for the fool he is

  31. #71

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    With the Cornelius to Atalanta deal now done and no mention of us receiving any sell on clause we once again see another example of Vincent Tans business prowess.

    The guy is a well connected idiot of the highest order

    Good luck Acorn go show him up further for the fool he is
    In fairness it's not just Tan who never puts sell on clause (assuming he hasn't), I really can't remember the last player we sold we put a sell on clause on under any owner

  32. #72

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by darran1927 View Post
    In fairness it's not just Tan who never puts sell on clause (assuming he hasn't), I really can't remember the last player we sold we put a sell on clause on under any owner
    To be honest I never thought for a moment he would have. He was only concerned in proving a point about Malky.
    It was suggested on here by a few that we would be quids in however but the silence suggests otherwise

  33. #73

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    With the Cornelius to Atalanta deal now done and no mention of us receiving any sell on clause we once again see another example of Vincent Tans business prowess.

    The guy is a well connected idiot of the highest order

    Good luck Acorn go show him up further for the fool he is
    Be patient, it took quite a while for the Bale money to come through.

  34. #74

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The debate doesn't seem to be whether he can set the world alight or not, but if he can kick a ball let alone is he good enough to be a pro. 25 in 85 confirms that he is.

    He will always go down as one of our worst signings because he was too expensive and too raw, but he's clearly good enough to make a living in the game and at a level that the majority of players aren't good enough to reach.
    He will always go down as one of our worst signings because Vinny chose to make a really big fuss about it.

  35. #75

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He will always go down as one of our worst signings because Vinny chose to make a really big fuss about it.
    Yeah I agree there. That statement that was put out was one of the lowest things City have ever done.

  36. #76

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Bellamy has clearly been proved wrong on this one if the stories of what he said are true. Looks like our next manager doesn't recognise a talent when it's right in front of him!
    Without leaping to Bellamy's defence, he's only been proved wrong if he makes a success of his move to Atalanta. Cornelius has moved for around a third of what we paid for him as well. Nobody has come out well out of this, be it Mackay, Tan, Cornelius or Moody.

  37. #77

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Without leaping to Bellamy's defence, he's only been proved wrong if he makes a success of his move to Atalanta. Cornelius has moved for around a third of what we paid for him as well. Nobody has come out well out of this, be it Mackay, Tan, Cornelius or Moody.
    Bellamys alleged comments that he's the worst professional he'd seen are already proved nonsense considering he's now moved 3 times in multi million pound deals and scoring regularly in the Champions League too.
    The ridiculous fee that we paid for him has nothing to do with the poor kid himself so the blame certainly has nothing to do with him although I agree with the other 3 you mention

  38. #78

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Bellamys alleged comments that he's the worst professional he'd seen are already proved nonsense considering he's now moved 3 times in multi million pound deals and scoring regularly in the Champions League too.
    The ridiculous fee that we paid for him has nothing to do with the poor kid himself so the blame certainly has nothing to do with him although I agree with the other 3 you mention
    He's basing it on what he saw at Cardiff and about his professionalism, not his talent. He's probably able to bully defenders in Denmark and the early rounds of the Champions League but he wouldn't be able to do that against Kompany or Terry. Personally, I don't think he will be a success in Atalanta but this presumably means we don't have to pay the final year of his wages and if we get a slice of his transfer fee, then good luck to him. Either way, it's happened and if we can claw back any of the money we lost, it's good news for us. I bet the club didn't budget for this.

  39. #79

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    I'm constructing a model (for my own interest) that compares the relative strengths of different leagues across Europe.
    The Danish league is a good fit with the SPL, or the Ukrainian league, and it's basically like a top championship club playing against a load of league one clubs if you are in the best club in those divisions.

    So if you think of Cornelius as a player who scored a shit load for Celtic as a teenager, went on a move to a bottom premier league club that didn't work out then returned to Celtic and continued to score before getting a move to Italy.

  40. #80

    Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Summed up perfectly.
    He wasn't as rubbish as some made out.
    However for slightly more money we could have signed Wilfred Bony ( we were in for him before Swansea) and probably stated up and made a 10m profit.

    Spending most of your striker transfer budget on 'one for the future' when you best alternative is Campbell was total stupidity and cost Malky his job and ultimately our place at the top table IMHO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •