+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Closer to 1 in 3 according to Wikipedia. Any link to that Bellamy quote? I've only ever seen it on here.
    Admittedly I looked a few weeks ago, and he's scored a few goals since then. It's still 25 in 85, which is hardly setting the world alight. The Bellamy quote was at that fan's meeting, and was reported on here by multiple reliable sources. I can't remember who but they all came back and said CB laid into him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Where are you getting this 1 in 4 figure from?

In the league this season he's scored 9 times in 21 appearances, plus 5 assists.
    Even if you throw champions league and Europa league games into the mix i think his record is better than 1 in 3
    He's got 25 in 85 in Denmark since his return. Admittedly he's scored a few since I last looked but that's 1 in 3.4 for the best club in Denmark by a country mile. He's not very good. It was an awful transfer and I will be amazed if he makes it in Serie A.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My understanding at the time was that he was brought in as one for the future. That might have been a good ploy. However, we didn't buy a decent striker that was ready to start games, neither did we invest in any pace. For a while we worked hard and ground out the odd result here and there, but the limitations of the squad were all too evident. In that respect, it was a mistake to have signed Cornelius, simply because the money would have been better spent on someone who, hopefully, would have started most games that season.
    I don't think the club were in a position to spend £8m and £45k a week on someone "for the future". I think (and I could be wrong) those comments came out after his "performance" at Accrington Stanley where he looked like a pub footballer. He has a very strange running style, his technique is average at best and he couldn't trap a bag of cement. The best bit was his "header" against Man City. He was God awful. Good luck to him but he was hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    He was just used as a stick to bash mackay when he wasn't given a chance.

Pro Tan'ers did what Tan did and tried to discredit everything he did.

What did he have, like 1 start in the league cup ?
    I hate VT but Cornelius was utterly, utterly dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I hate VT but Cornelius was utterly, utterly dreadful.
    He had 8 appearances for us. The majority of those were for about 2-5 minutes. No starts in the league.

And some of those appearances were coming off an injury.

He may have been bad in those attempts but what did we expect?.

I think the signing showed ambition.

He had 8 appearances for us. The majority of those were for about 2-5 minutes. No starts in the league.

And some of those appearances were coming off an injury.

He may have been bad in those attempts but what did we expect?.

I think the signing showed ambition.
    Him to be able to control a football, get somewhere near the ball at his diving header. I don't know why I'm arguing with a WUM

Him to be able to control a football, get somewhere near the ball at his diving header. I don't know why I'm arguing with a WUM
    What have I said in the history of using this forum that you would claim was written to just wind someone up.

Cornelius played 8 games for the club. I'd guess under 150 minutes of football in his cardiff career.

People wanted shot of zahore after he'd played well over 20 times. Now look what has happened.

What have I said in the history of using this forum that you would claim was written to just wind someone up.

Cornelius played 8 games for the club. I'd guess under 150 minutes of football in his cardiff career.

People wanted shot of zahore after he'd played well over 20 times. Now look what has happened.
    Firstly, it is Zohore. Also, the signing showed ambition and Boris hasn't made any gaffes. They're two gems.

Also, Zohore actually showed some promise at Burnley away, I went away thinking OK, we might actually have something here. Cornelius was nothing like that, he got bullied by League 2 defenders. It was embarrassing.

The amount he cost must be taken into account, we needed someone who would hit the ground running when we went up and for that amount of money we should have.
    Malky screwed up. You don't pay that much and then give him the number 9 shirt for someone you see as one for the future,Malky thought he had his main striker for the season, he was wrong.

Firstly, it is Zohore. Also, the signing showed ambition and Boris hasn't made any gaffes. They're two gems.

Also, Zohore actually showed some promise at Burnley away, I went away thinking OK, we might actually have something here. Cornelius was nothing like that, he got bullied by League 2 defenders. It was embarrassing.
    Gaffes since becoming foreign sec I said, didn't I?.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    The amount he cost must be taken into account, we needed someone who would hit the ground running when we went up and for that amount of money we should have.
    Malky screwed up. You don't pay that much and then give him the number 9 shirt for someone you see as one for the future,Malky thought he had his main striker for the season, he was wrong.
    Yep I can't deny it didn't work out and he didn't produce when he had his chances.

I think if we had a different owner we would have persisted with him though. He was expensive and his wage was quite high but look at lambert. And 8 million isn't that huge in championship.

Yep I can't deny it didn't work out and he didn't produce when he had his chances.

I think if we had a different owner we would have persisted with him though. He was expensive and his wage was quite high but look at lambert. And 8 million isn't that huge in championship.
    I'm sure I read at the time that Everton had been watching him and valued him at 3.5mill,if we had spent that and brought him in as a backup to an experienced striker I'm sure we would have persisted with him for far longer. Unfortunately we had chucked all our eggs into a Corn shaped box and so we started the hardest season we've had for many years on the back foot.
    And that's not even considering the even more bizarre john Brayford transfer.

Craig Bellamy said he was the worst pro he'd ever seen, and he played like it too. We couldn't afford to be patience with a lone striker on £45k a week. Good luck to him but 1 in 4 since he's left is hardly a ringing endorsement.
    Yep, thats how he was viewed by his fellow professionals.

Always wondered if there was a bit of jealousy as he was on big bucks as well.

I did tip him to be great........

Gaffes since becoming foreign sec I said, didn't I?.
    Yes, and there have been loads

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Yep, thats how he was viewed by his fellow professionals.

Always wondered if there was a bit of jealousy as he was on big bucks as well.

I did tip him to be great........
    I think a lot of people thought he'd do well, considering who he was linked with as well! Maybe he even believed his own hype, we don't know but he didn't show it

Admittedly I looked a few weeks ago, and he's scored a few goals since then. It's still 25 in 85, which is hardly setting the world alight. The Bellamy quote was at that fan's meeting, and was reported on here by multiple reliable sources. I can't remember who but they all came back and said CB laid into him.
    The debate doesn't seem to be whether he can set the world alight or not, but if he can kick a ball let alone is he good enough to be a pro. 25 in 85 confirms that he is.

He will always go down as one of our worst signings because he was too expensive and too raw, but he's clearly good enough to make a living in the game and at a level that the majority of players aren't good enough to reach.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The debate doesn't seem to be whether he can set the world alight or not, but if he can kick a ball let alone is he good enough to be a pro. 25 in 85 confirms that he is.

He will always go down as one of our worst signings because he was too expensive and too raw, but he's clearly good enough to make a living in the game and at a level that the majority of players aren't good enough to reach.
    He's good enough in Denmark but there were concerns in Denmark at the time about his readiness to step up, which I must admit I ignored at the time. For one thing or another, he was not the player we desperately needed and even though he's far superior to 99.9% of people who've ever used this messageboard (Ross McCormack being one!) he still should go down as one of the worst players we've had. Be it jealousy or whatever, he was spoken about in a very unfavourable light by one of his fellow pros and that sticks in my throat.

He's good enough in Denmark but there were concerns in Denmark at the time about his readiness to step up, which I must admit I ignored at the time. For one thing or another, he was not the player we desperately needed and even though he's far superior to 99.9% of people who've ever used this messageboard (Ross McCormack being one!) he still should go down as one of the worst players we've had. Be it jealousy or whatever, he was spoken about in a very unfavourable light by one of his fellow pros and that sticks in my throat.
    I meant he's good enough to play at a level that the majority of pros aren't, not the majority of CCMB users...

Funny, people were saying the same about Zohore..

Maybe if Cornelius was given a chance like Zohore was he would've looked as good, if not better, and developed into a top flight player, as I expect Zohore to.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Funny, people were saying the same about Zohore..

Maybe if Cornelius was given a chance like Zohore was he would've looked as good, if not better, and developed into a top flight player, as I expect Zohore to.
    He was Denmarks Young Player of the Year, chased by big clubs throughout Europe and was scoring goals for fun at a very young age.

We paid OTT for him

What he didn't deserve was to be used as a pawn in an inhouse feud, publicly humiliated by the owner and hung out to dry. He was a 20 year old kid, playing football in a new country and was given 6 months (although he was written off long before he left).

Bellamy has clearly been proved wrong on this one if the stories of what he said are true. Looks like our next manager doesn't recognise a talent when it's right in front of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    He was Denmarks Young Player of the Year, chased by big clubs throughout Europe and was scoring goals for fun at a very young age.

We paid OTT for him

What he didn't deserve was to be used as a pawn in an inhouse feud, publicly humiliated by the owner and hung out to dry. He was a 20 year old kid, playing football in a new country and was given 6 months (although he was written off long before he left).

Bellamy has clearly been proved wrong on this one if the stories of what he said are true. Looks like our next manager doesn't recognise a talent when it's right in front of him!
    That about sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post

We paid OTT for him

Absolutely.

Every word out of the club about Corn Dog was running with the idea that Mackay failed to perform his duties properly.

Wasn't his transfer used as a part of the suing of Mackay?.

Didn't Vinny over see the deals to flog him quickly?.

It is done now and there is little point in getting worked up about it. But I'd take bellamys comments with a pinch of salt given he has been employed throughout this period by Vinny T.

Apparently reports in Denmark suggest that we do have a sell on clause with a 'large proportion' of the fee due to us. If true this could provide a decent boost to Warnock's Summer transfer kitty.

http://the72.co.uk/79435/cardiff-cit...-danish-media/

Absolutely.

Every word out of the club about Corn Dog was running with the idea that Mackay failed to perform his duties properly.

Wasn't his transfer used as a part of the suing of Mackay?.

Didn't Vinny over see the deals to flog him quickly?.

It is done now and there is little point in getting worked up about it. But I'd take bellamys comments with a pinch of salt given he has been employed throughout this period by Vinny T.
    Is that his stage name?

I agree, we gave up on Cornelius far too early, especially taking into account he was only a kid and coming off an injury, I hope he goes on to have a good career

Andreas Cornelius is better than Kenneth Zohore