+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

The main problem for me is how we tried to use him in the rare occasions he actually go on the pitch.

We launched the ball at him from 50 yards away expecting him to hold it up and bring other players into the game, like a wizened old warhorse like helgusson.
    However, nothing I've seen of him playing at Copenhagen suggests that this is his game. Not yet anyway.
    Most times I've seen him he likes balls player for him to run onto, or crosses to attack. Holding the ball up is a very different skill.
    As he's 6ft4 and strong he has the physical attributes to be able to play that way, but it doesn't usually seem to come until later in a player's career. Even the likes of jay bothroyd who did that job excellently for us was a very different player as a youngster. I can't ​think of a player in their teens who was that effective in that kind of role, Rooney was always strong i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The main problem for me is how we tried to use him in the rare occasions he actually go on the pitch.

We launched the ball at him from 50 yards away expecting him to hold it up and bring other players into the game, like a wizened old warhorse like helgusson.
    However, nothing I've seen of him playing at Copenhagen suggests that this is his game. Not yet anyway.
    Most times I've seen him he likes balls player for him to run onto, or crosses to attack. Holding the ball up is a very different skill.
    As he's 6ft4 and strong he has the physical attributes to be able to play that way, but it doesn't usually seem to come until later in a player's career. Even the likes of jay bothroyd who did that job excellently for us was a very different player as a youngster. I can't ​think of a player in their teens who was that effective in that kind of role, Rooney was always strong i suppose.
    He was just used as a stick to bash mackay when he wasn't given a chance.

Pro Tan'ers did what Tan did and tried to discredit everything he did.

What did he have, like 1 start in the league cup ?

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

I don't think the people bashing Cornelius were largely pro tanners or the people defending him were particularly anti tan.

My understanding at the time was that he was brought in as one for the future. That might have been a good ploy. However, we didn't buy a decent striker that was ready to start games, neither did we invest in any pace. For a while we worked hard and ground out the odd result here and there, but the limitations of the squad were all too evident. In that respect, it was a mistake to have signed Cornelius, simply because the money would have been better spent on someone who, hopefully, would have started most games that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My understanding at the time was that he was brought in as one for the future. That might have been a good ploy. However, we didn't buy a decent striker that was ready to start games, neither did we invest in any pace. For a while we worked hard and ground out the odd result here and there, but the limitations of the squad were all too evident. In that respect, it was a mistake to have signed Cornelius, simply because the money would have been better spent on someone who, hopefully, would have started most games that season.
    I don't think the club were in a position to spend £8m and £45k a week on someone "for the future". I think (and I could be wrong) those comments came out after his "performance" at Accrington Stanley where he looked like a pub footballer. He has a very strange running style, his technique is average at best and he couldn't trap a bag of cement. The best bit was his "header" against Man City. He was God awful. Good luck to him but he was hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Wasn't the 'one for the future' line brought out by Malky when it became clear Cornelius wasn't good enough - whether that was injuries, fitness problems, lack of experience or ability? Cornelius himself thought he was signing for Cardiff to play in the first team in the Premier League.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...s-cardiff-city

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23085388

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...triker-4726359

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wasn't the 'one for the future' line brought out by Malky when it became clear Cornelius wasn't good enough - whether that was injuries, fitness problems, lack of experience or ability? Cornelius himself thought he was signing for Cardiff to play in the first team in the Premier League.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...s-cardiff-city

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23085388

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...triker-4726359
    Definitely. He was going to be our number one striker and then we saw him play...

I hate VT but Cornelius was utterly, utterly dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I hate VT but Cornelius was utterly, utterly dreadful.
    He had 8 appearances for us. The majority of those were for about 2-5 minutes. No starts in the league.

And some of those appearances were coming off an injury.

He may have been bad in those attempts but what did we expect?.

I think the signing showed ambition.

He had 8 appearances for us. The majority of those were for about 2-5 minutes. No starts in the league.

And some of those appearances were coming off an injury.

He may have been bad in those attempts but what did we expect?.

I think the signing showed ambition.
    Him to be able to control a football, get somewhere near the ball at his diving header. I don't know why I'm arguing with a WUM

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Him to be able to control a football, get somewhere near the ball at his diving header. I don't know why I'm arguing with a WUM
    What have I said in the history of using this forum that you would claim was written to just wind someone up.

Cornelius played 8 games for the club. I'd guess under 150 minutes of football in his cardiff career.

People wanted shot of zahore after he'd played well over 20 times. Now look what has happened.

What have I said in the history of using this forum that you would claim was written to just wind someone up.

Cornelius played 8 games for the club. I'd guess under 150 minutes of football in his cardiff career.

People wanted shot of zahore after he'd played well over 20 times. Now look what has happened.
    Firstly, it is Zohore. Also, the signing showed ambition and Boris hasn't made any gaffes. They're two gems.

Also, Zohore actually showed some promise at Burnley away, I went away thinking OK, we might actually have something here. Cornelius was nothing like that, he got bullied by League 2 defenders. It was embarrassing.

The amount he cost must be taken into account, we needed someone who would hit the ground running when we went up and for that amount of money we should have.
    Malky screwed up. You don't pay that much and then give him the number 9 shirt for someone you see as one for the future,Malky thought he had his main striker for the season, he was wrong.