+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mark Harris - From ball boy to first team starter...

Blue in the Face

Mark Harris - From ball boy to first team starter...

From ball boy to first team starter - Wales Under-19 international Mark Harris' incredible season at Cardiff City

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...arter-12963947

It's been a whirlwind season for Cardiff City who appeared to be dead and buried in the early stages of the campaign before staging a remarkable recovery following the arrival of Neil Warnock.

But for one man in particular, it has been a season like no other.

Mark Harris has checked off a number of firsts during the course of the 2016-17 campaign and will hope to build on his breakthrough season with more regular action next time around.

Harris made his first-team debut as a substitute in Cardiff's 2-1 FA Cup third round defeat to Fulham in January, just 10 days after his 18th birthday.

His incredible rise was capped off as Warnock named him in his starting line up for the Bluebirds clash against Wigan, with Harris playing 57 minutes of the goalless draw against the Latics at the DW Stadium.

It completes an incredible campaign for the Wales Under-19 international who started the season as a second year apprentice and was a ball boy for first team matches.

"I found out I was playing (against Wigan) on the Friday after our training session at Bolton Wanderers," Harris told the club's matchday programme.

"At the end of the season the gaffer pulled us all in and named the team - and when he said my name it was a huge shock but I was buzzing.

"I instantly got on the phone and all my family came up to Wigan to watch.

"I was a ball boy at the start of the season. It was very pleasing to play against Fulham and start at Wigan.

"It's what I've been working towards since joining the club at the age of seven, It has been my dream; my goal so I'm obviously delighted."

Warnock has made no secret of his admiration for Harris during the course of the campaign, highlighting on numerous occasions that he was on the cusp of breaking into the first team.

And after being awarded his full first team debut against Wigan, Harris is eager to impress the Cardiff faithful and show Warnock he is worth a regular place in the Cardiff squad.

"The support the manager has given me is exactly what you want as a youngster coming through," he added.

"You always want your manager to have belief and confidence in you.

"I want to prove everyone now that I can play first team football. I want to be playing week in, week out and it is my job now to use the last few games and the upcoming pre-season to prove my abilities to the gaffer and everyone else at Cardiff City."

Mark Harris' remarkable rise during the 2016-17 campaign

July 2016 - Starts the season as a second year apprentice.

August 13, 2016 - A ball boy for the Bluebirds' first-team matches, Harris scores in a 4-3 win for the Under-18s in their opening day clash against Hull, later earning a call-up to the Under-23 development squad.

November 12, 2016 - Scores for Wales Under-19s in their 3-2 win over England in Bangor.

January 8, 2017 - Makes first-team debut in a 2-1 defeat to Fulham in the third round of the FA Cup.

January 10, 2017 - Signs his first professional contract with the Bluebirds, a deal that will see him remain at the club until June 2019.

April 22, 2017 - Makes his first start for the Bluebirds in a 0-0 draw with Wigan.

May 3, 2017 - Gets his own thread on CCMB

Re: Mark Harris - From ball boy to first team starter...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    From ball boy to first team starter - Wales Under-19 international Mark Harris' incredible season at Cardiff City

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...arter-12963947

It's been a whirlwind season for Cardiff City who appeared to be dead and buried in the early stages of the campaign before staging a remarkable recovery following the arrival of Neil Warnock.

But for one man in particular, it has been a season like no other.

Mark Harris has checked off a number of firsts during the course of the 2016-17 campaign and will hope to build on his breakthrough season with more regular action next time around.

Harris made his first-team debut as a substitute in Cardiff's 2-1 FA Cup third round defeat to Fulham in January, just 10 days after his 18th birthday.

His incredible rise was capped off as Warnock named him in his starting line up for the Bluebirds clash against Wigan, with Harris playing 57 minutes of the goalless draw against the Latics at the DW Stadium.

It completes an incredible campaign for the Wales Under-19 international who started the season as a second year apprentice and was a ball boy for first team matches.

"I found out I was playing (against Wigan) on the Friday after our training session at Bolton Wanderers," Harris told the club's matchday programme.

"At the end of the season the gaffer pulled us all in and named the team - and when he said my name it was a huge shock but I was buzzing.

"I instantly got on the phone and all my family came up to Wigan to watch.

"I was a ball boy at the start of the season. It was very pleasing to play against Fulham and start at Wigan.

"It's what I've been working towards since joining the club at the age of seven, It has been my dream; my goal so I'm obviously delighted."

Warnock has made no secret of his admiration for Harris during the course of the campaign, highlighting on numerous occasions that he was on the cusp of breaking into the first team.

And after being awarded his full first team debut against Wigan, Harris is eager to impress the Cardiff faithful and show Warnock he is worth a regular place in the Cardiff squad.

"The support the manager has given me is exactly what you want as a youngster coming through," he added.

"You always want your manager to have belief and confidence in you.

"I want to prove everyone now that I can play first team football. I want to be playing week in, week out and it is my job now to use the last few games and the upcoming pre-season to prove my abilities to the gaffer and everyone else at Cardiff City."

Mark Harris' remarkable rise during the 2016-17 campaign

July 2016 - Starts the season as a second year apprentice.

August 13, 2016 - A ball boy for the Bluebirds' first-team matches, Harris scores in a 4-3 win for the Under-18s in their opening day clash against Hull, later earning a call-up to the Under-23 development squad.

November 12, 2016 - Scores for Wales Under-19s in their 3-2 win over England in Bangor.

January 8, 2017 - Makes first-team debut in a 2-1 defeat to Fulham in the third round of the FA Cup.

January 10, 2017 - Signs his first professional contract with the Bluebirds, a deal that will see him remain at the club until June 2019.

April 22, 2017 - Makes his first start for the Bluebirds in a 0-0 draw with Wigan.

May 3, 2017 - Gets his own thread on CCMB
    And if he goes out on loan, potentially a whole new department for Loramski to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    And if he goes out on loan, potentially a whole new department for Loramski to manage.
    A new wing in the museum!

What team would you look to have him go on loan to? A team like Fleetwood or Scunthorpe? Or closer to us like Plymouth?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

What team would you look to have him go on loan to? A team like Fleetwood or Scunthorpe? Or closer to us like Plymouth?
    The Cwty if they stay up ,better still give him a pre season and a squad place until January

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

I've not seen him play but wouldn't it be great to have a young local lad playing for city.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    It's obviously a lot more interesting to follow youngsters out on loan, rather than the le Fondre's or Adeyemi's who don't have a future here. You can watch these lads at under-23 level as much as you want but I don't think you can really start to assess them until they start playing first team football, at whatever level. Rhys Healey went to Newport, who were the lowest club in the football league, but was still able to make enough of an impression to force his way into our first team this season. I very much doubt that Harris and Meite will be near the first team at the start of next season but hopefully they'll be able to make a similar impression if they go out on loan.

It's a wonder why we don't use Cwnty more often, they need good loans and we need young talent to develop ,there has always been a rich vain of talent in that area, especially via the Hartridge School

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's a wonder why we don't use Cwnty more often, they need good loans and we need young talent to develop ,there has always been a rich vain of talent in that area, especially via the Hartridge School

Have you seen their pitch. ?!

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    County seem to only look to loan from us and Swansea. But they seemed to have opted for more Swans players than ours this year. Think there's a limit to only fielding three loan players at a time. Though County have taken more than three loan players at one time since being in the football league, they've had to rotate in fielding them.

Really really want Newport to stay up though for this loaning outlet as much as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Have you seen their pitch. ?!
    It is a massive problem. Can't be good for injuries either.