+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cornelius off to Serie 'A'....no fee mentioned

The main problem for me is how we tried to use him in the rare occasions he actually go on the pitch.

We launched the ball at him from 50 yards away expecting him to hold it up and bring other players into the game, like a wizened old warhorse like helgusson.
    However, nothing I've seen of him playing at Copenhagen suggests that this is his game. Not yet anyway.
    Most times I've seen him he likes balls player for him to run onto, or crosses to attack. Holding the ball up is a very different skill.
    As he's 6ft4 and strong he has the physical attributes to be able to play that way, but it doesn't usually seem to come until later in a player's career. Even the likes of jay bothroyd who did that job excellently for us was a very different player as a youngster. I can't ​think of a player in their teens who was that effective in that kind of role, Rooney was always strong i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The main problem for me is how we tried to use him in the rare occasions he actually go on the pitch.

We launched the ball at him from 50 yards away expecting him to hold it up and bring other players into the game, like a wizened old warhorse like helgusson.
    However, nothing I've seen of him playing at Copenhagen suggests that this is his game. Not yet anyway.
    Most times I've seen him he likes balls player for him to run onto, or crosses to attack. Holding the ball up is a very different skill.
    As he's 6ft4 and strong he has the physical attributes to be able to play that way, but it doesn't usually seem to come until later in a player's career. Even the likes of jay bothroyd who did that job excellently for us was a very different player as a youngster. I can't ​think of a player in their teens who was that effective in that kind of role, Rooney was always strong i suppose.
    He was just used as a stick to bash mackay when he wasn't given a chance.

Pro Tan'ers did what Tan did and tried to discredit everything he did.

What did he have, like 1 start in the league cup ?

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

I don't think the people bashing Cornelius were largely pro tanners or the people defending him were particularly anti tan.

My understanding at the time was that he was brought in as one for the future. That might have been a good ploy. However, we didn't buy a decent striker that was ready to start games, neither did we invest in any pace. For a while we worked hard and ground out the odd result here and there, but the limitations of the squad were all too evident. In that respect, it was a mistake to have signed Cornelius, simply because the money would have been better spent on someone who, hopefully, would have started most games that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My understanding at the time was that he was brought in as one for the future. That might have been a good ploy. However, we didn't buy a decent striker that was ready to start games, neither did we invest in any pace. For a while we worked hard and ground out the odd result here and there, but the limitations of the squad were all too evident. In that respect, it was a mistake to have signed Cornelius, simply because the money would have been better spent on someone who, hopefully, would have started most games that season.
    I don't think the club were in a position to spend £8m and £45k a week on someone "for the future". I think (and I could be wrong) those comments came out after his "performance" at Accrington Stanley where he looked like a pub footballer. He has a very strange running style, his technique is average at best and he couldn't trap a bag of cement. The best bit was his "header" against Man City. He was God awful. Good luck to him but he was hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Wasn't the 'one for the future' line brought out by Malky when it became clear Cornelius wasn't good enough - whether that was injuries, fitness problems, lack of experience or ability? Cornelius himself thought he was signing for Cardiff to play in the first team in the Premier League.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...s-cardiff-city

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23085388

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...triker-4726359

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Wasn't the 'one for the future' line brought out by Malky when it became clear Cornelius wasn't good enough - whether that was injuries, fitness problems, lack of experience or ability? Cornelius himself thought he was signing for Cardiff to play in the first team in the Premier League.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...s-cardiff-city

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23085388

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...triker-4726359
    Definitely. He was going to be our number one striker and then we saw him play...

I hate VT but Cornelius was utterly, utterly dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I hate VT but Cornelius was utterly, utterly dreadful.
    He had 8 appearances for us. The majority of those were for about 2-5 minutes. No starts in the league.

And some of those appearances were coming off an injury.

He may have been bad in those attempts but what did we expect?.

I think the signing showed ambition.

He had 8 appearances for us. The majority of those were for about 2-5 minutes. No starts in the league.

And some of those appearances were coming off an injury.

He may have been bad in those attempts but what did we expect?.

I think the signing showed ambition.
    Him to be able to control a football, get somewhere near the ball at his diving header. I don't know why I'm arguing with a WUM

Banned

He'll never make it in serie a,the ccmb footballing experts declared he'd never make a footballer,after watching him warm up.

Funny, people were saying the same about Zohore..

Maybe if Cornelius was given a chance like Zohore was he would've looked as good, if not better, and developed into a top flight player, as I expect Zohore to.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

Maybe if Cornelius was given a chance like Zohore was he would've looked as good, if not better, and developed into a top flight player, as I expect Zohore to.
    Also Gestede - total money spent on him £12m.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Also Gestede - total money spent on him £12m.
    Gestede isn't a top flight quality player and the fact that £12m has been spent on him is baffling

He's a decent Championship striker, nothing more than that

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Gestede isn't a top flight quality player and the fact that £12m has been spent on him is baffling

He's a decent Championship striker, nothing more than that
    Yet, he's playing at that level and £12m has been spent on him. Some fans thought he was useless too, just like Cornelius who looks set to be playing in Serie A next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Yet, he's playing at that level and £12m has been spent on him. Some fans thought he was useless too, just like Cornelius who looks set to be playing in Serie A next season.
    Playing at a certain level and having money spent on you doesn't equate to being a Premier League quality player
    He's made 46 Premier League appearances and scored 6 goals, he's not a Premier League quality player

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

He was Denmarks Young Player of the Year, chased by big clubs throughout Europe and was scoring goals for fun at a very young age.

We paid OTT for him

What he didn't deserve was to be used as a pawn in an inhouse feud, publicly humiliated by the owner and hung out to dry. He was a 20 year old kid, playing football in a new country and was given 6 months (although he was written off long before he left).

Bellamy has clearly been proved wrong on this one if the stories of what he said are true. Looks like our next manager doesn't recognise a talent when it's right in front of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    He was Denmarks Young Player of the Year, chased by big clubs throughout Europe and was scoring goals for fun at a very young age.

We paid OTT for him

What he didn't deserve was to be used as a pawn in an inhouse feud, publicly humiliated by the owner and hung out to dry. He was a 20 year old kid, playing football in a new country and was given 6 months (although he was written off long before he left).

Bellamy has clearly been proved wrong on this one if the stories of what he said are true. Looks like our next manager doesn't recognise a talent when it's right in front of him!
    That about sums it up.

We paid OTT for him

Absolutely.

Every word out of the club about Corn Dog was running with the idea that Mackay failed to perform his duties properly.

Wasn't his transfer used as a part of the suing of Mackay?.

Didn't Vinny over see the deals to flog him quickly?.

It is done now and there is little point in getting worked up about it. But I'd take bellamys comments with a pinch of salt given he has been employed throughout this period by Vinny T.

Absolutely.

Every word out of the club about Corn Dog was running with the idea that Mackay failed to perform his duties properly.

Wasn't his transfer used as a part of the suing of Mackay?.

Didn't Vinny over see the deals to flog him quickly?.

It is done now and there is little point in getting worked up about it. But I'd take bellamys comments with a pinch of salt given he has been employed throughout this period by Vinny T.
    Is that his stage name?

I agree, we gave up on Cornelius far too early, especially taking into account he was only a kid and coming off an injury, I hope he goes on to have a good career

Without leaping to Bellamy's defence, he's only been proved wrong if he makes a success of his move to Atalanta. Cornelius has moved for around a third of what we paid for him as well. Nobody has come out well out of this, be it Mackay, Tan, Cornelius or Moody.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Without leaping to Bellamy's defence, he's only been proved wrong if he makes a success of his move to Atalanta. Cornelius has moved for around a third of what we paid for him as well. Nobody has come out well out of this, be it Mackay, Tan, Cornelius or Moody.
    Bellamys alleged comments that he's the worst professional he'd seen are already proved nonsense considering he's now moved 3 times in multi million pound deals and scoring regularly in the Champions League too.
    The ridiculous fee that we paid for him has nothing to do with the poor kid himself so the blame certainly has nothing to do with him although I agree with the other 3 you mention

Bellamys alleged comments that he's the worst professional he'd seen are already proved nonsense considering he's now moved 3 times in multi million pound deals and scoring regularly in the Champions League too.
    The ridiculous fee that we paid for him has nothing to do with the poor kid himself so the blame certainly has nothing to do with him although I agree with the other 3 you mention
    He's basing it on what he saw at Cardiff and about his professionalism, not his talent. He's probably able to bully defenders in Denmark and the early rounds of the Champions League but he wouldn't be able to do that against Kompany or Terry. Personally, I don't think he will be a success in Atalanta but this presumably means we don't have to pay the final year of his wages and if we get a slice of his transfer fee, then good luck to him. Either way, it's happened and if we can claw back any of the money we lost, it's good news for us. I bet the club didn't budget for this.

Apparently reports in Denmark suggest that we do have a sell on clause with a 'large proportion' of the fee due to us. If true this could provide a decent boost to Warnock's Summer transfer kitty.

http://the72.co.uk/79435/cardiff-cit...-danish-media/

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    Apparently reports in Denmark suggest that we do have a sell on clause with a 'large proportion' of the fee due to us. If true this could provide a decent boost to Warnock's Summer transfer kitty.

http://the72.co.uk/79435/cardiff-cit...-danish-media/
    Optimistic.