+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ugo Ehiogu RIP

Ugo Ehiogu RIP

Aged 44. Died after suffering a cardiac arrest yesterday while working as Spurs U23 coach.

Re: Ugo Ehiogu RIP

Bloody hell.

It's hits home more when they are taken so young.

RIP

Terrible news. He was a rock, excellent centre back. RIP

Such sad news for someone so young. RIP Ugo.

I was there for the game Pat Murphy describes here;-

"His first game I remember, against Norwich he had a shocker - losing 3-2. The next nine years he was a tremendous centre-back alongside Gareth Southgate.".

I felt sorry for him that day and was pleased to see how much his career prospered after that uncomfortable start. So sad, and very surprising, that such a physically strong player can be cut down so young.

RIP

Shit.

Gone at 44. No age at all.

Just goes to show you never know what's around the corner in this life. All the more reason to enjoy it while you can.

RIP.

RIP. Top defender; skilful, strong, intelligent, great reader of the game and always spoke well.

R I P.....too young

How can such a super fit athelete, who was no doubt well maintained and looked after from being a professional footballer, die at such a young age from a heartattack

He seems a well respected lad as well , few ex collegues well cut up today on the radio.

Sad news, I guess it must be pot luck if survive cardiac arrest. I would have thought if they got him to hospital he would have been ok, guess not....rip

Very sad news and baffling how someone so physically strong and fit could die suddenly.Perhaps there was a heart defect that had not ever been picked up.A great shame.He was clearly highly regarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Very sad news and baffling how someone so physically strong and fit could die suddenly.Perhaps there was a heart defect that had not ever been picked up.A great shame.He was clearly highly regarded.
    or maybe it's all these supplements they're taking

Shocking and very sad. Much too young.

First Team

Brings it home when someone in your age group gets taken.RIP.
    I know that heart issues are a significant problem with ex athletes as they need to train down over a period of time so that their bodies can adjust. There was a tv documentary on Steve Redgrave where he had a 5 year programme that if not followed would result in cardiac issues because the heart and valves were so enlarged from the intense exercise that they would not cope with a sudden cessation of physical activity.
    Whilst Ugo was almost certainly physically still active as he was involved in the Spurs coaching set up I wonder if this an example of this?
    With other issues such as the brain damage from heading that hit the headlines recently I wonder if the demands we place on athletes is causing a major medical problem in the long term. The Players union and clubs really need to investigate these things if only to avoid more premature deaths .