+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Books, Books, Books!

Books, Books, Books!

Just recently I have had a change in work and need to have an hour for lunch. I know - what a bummer! Anyway I don't need more than 15 minutes and so for the other 45 I have taken to reading my Kindle. Never been a big reader of books but am really enjoying reading about things I hadn't really much knowlege about. I have been drawn to WWII books especially the Special Forces kind of things and have really enjoyed them. I know there are some well-read folks on here so give me some ideas of NON-fiction that are worth a read and will actually keep my attention. I recently read Soldier Spy - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EBOP2...ng=UTF8&btkr=1 - and that was a load of fantasy drivel. Before that I read SAS Rogue Heroes - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DB43D...ng=UTF8&btkr=1 - and really enjoyed that as it was very informative whilst being gripping in it's writing style. Also really liked Churchill's Secret Warriors - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L7SLS...ng=UTF8&btkr=1 - to give you an idea of another book I liked.

So go on - give me some ideas for what else I can read......

Re: Books, Books, Books!

Anything by Ben MacIntyre. Brilliant writer includes Rogue Heroes about the SAS and A Spy Amongst Friends about Kim Philby.

That one by Andy McNab that has the bloke with a gun on the cover. Edge-of-the-seat stuff that. There's just something about slotting ragheads by moonlight for Queen and country that really stiffens the pickle.

Was going to say Ben MacIntyre. Start with Operation Mincemeat.

a have about 3 boxes of rangers books a coold let you have for a gud price. the new bird wants a clearout but they are fantastic pal you wont be disapointed beleve me

Wow you have read "a spy among friends " by Ben Macintyre an historian ,the best spy book ever in my view ,so intriguing and factual , he has also written other intriguing true stories "zig zag" "Double Cross"" .
    Other recommendations:

Anything by Le Carre. (He worked for secret service)

Stumbled on another good spy writer Charles Cummings his "spy by nature" its first class (he was nearly recruited by the secret service,which adds to the intrigue ).

All have believable intriguing stories.

International

If you are into WWII you should read "Engage the Enemy more closely"by Correlli Barnet.
    It describes every naval engagement by every RN ship of the size of Destroyer or bigger for the whole of the war.
    It's written in a very readable style but id accurate. It also gives insight into the attitudes of the admirals and officers, rivalries, and some of Churchill's political interventions which proved disastrous. (He was First Sea Lord at the outbreak of war.)

The Good Spy: The Life and Death of Robert Ames - Modern day Lawrence of Arabia

Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and Bin Laden, from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001

Antony Beever's Stalingrad is well worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Antony Beever's Stalingrad is well worth a read.
    Top drawer book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Top drawer book.
    Forget about the books in your top drawer. He wants something to read not pictures to drool over.

For war fiction you should read " Bomber " by Len Deighton.

Totally gripping story of a Lancaster bomber raid over Germany seen from all points
    of view ( British , German , civilians etc ).

Read 'For whom the bell tolls' by Hemingway a while back. Set in the Spanish Civil War. Good read.

Thanks to all who have replied and given me some ideas. Will check them all out. I have read Stalingrad - grim reading but gives you a good idea of what went on and not made to be a glamourised book like some I have read. I have a couple of his other ones to read as well. Bomber sounds very interesting.