+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dave Moans sacked by Hartlepool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Dave Moans sacked by Hartlepool

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Desperation time for Hartlepool. They'd averaged 1.04 points a game before he went there, but 0.89 points a game after his appointment.

How much of that is down to Jones is debatable. Since their relegation from League 1 in 2012-13, they've finished 19th, 22nd and 16th in the bottom tier, so the relegation threat to the National League has been real for some time. It appears that Jones has had the thankless task of being in charge of a sinking ship, though it also has to be said that his appointment hasn't given the club a "bounce" sometimes associated with a new manager.
    Stats tell 20% of a story. I say 20% to highlight how arbitrary stats are. Stats are often skewed, you're a culprit quite often.

Hartlepool sold 3 first team players in January and loaned out a few. Who decides that? At that level, it's finances, so most likely it's the owners. The manager is left with a threadbare squad, they go unbeaten for a few games, then the dead cat stops bouncing.

They won 3 in 4 in a 2 week period. What happens after that? Does Jones change the team radically? Do the players lose confidence with every bad result.

It's not as simple as 13 points out of 51. There are so many other factors involved that, using statistics alone, would be the dumbest thing anyone can do in making decisions like this.

Jones v populist TV presenter. Only one winner, and Stelling is now as responsible as anyone of Hartlepool drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Stats tell 20% of a story. I say 20% to highlight how arbitrary stats are. Stats are often skewed, you're a culprit quite often.

Hartlepool sold 3 first team players in January and loaned out a few. Who decides that? At that level, it's finances, so most likely it's the owners. The manager is left with a threadbare squad, they go unbeaten for a few games, then the dead cat stops bouncing.

They won 3 in 4 in a 2 week period. What happens after that? Does Jones change the team radically? Do the players lose confidence with every bad result.

It's not as simple as 13 points out of 51. There are so many other factors involved that, using statistics alone, would be the dumbest thing anyone can do in making decisions like this.

Jones v populist TV presenter. Only one winner, and Stelling is now as responsible as anyone of Hartlepool drop.
    If you'd bothered to read what I wrote, I did question how much of Hartlepool's drop in results was down to Jones.

I read every single irrelevant word of it. You could have looked up some of the Hartlepool happenings over the last few years to draw a more informed conclusion.

I read every single irrelevant word of it. You could have looked up some of the Hartlepool happenings over the last few years to draw a more informed conclusion.
    I did.

If you're suggesting that a club's problems are never as a result of the manager, whether in a small way or greater, then by the same token, there's no point clubs having managers. If Jones is responsible for 3 wins out of 4, then he's also responsible in some way for 2 points from 7 games. Make your mind up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If you'd bothered to read what I wrote, I did question how much of Hartlepool's drop in results was down to Jones.
    Fwiw I am hoping Newport stay up. Cheltenham v 'Pool on Saturday. I am surprised by the support for Jones on here. Miserable git,although I agree we had some great times with him. Not sure why he went up North. Had never managed at that level.

A little while ago in an interview on WalesOnline, Neil Warnock suggested that a manager's job is most important when the chips are down, when things start going wrong - the best managers are the ones that are able to turn results around quite quickly. Do you agree with this?