+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Relegation/promotion outcomes

Relegation/promotion outcomes

Ignoring who you personally like and dislike, what teams do you think would be best to be relegated/promoted to give Cardiff the best chance next year.

Assuming Sunderland and Middlesbrough are already doomed the premier league relegation looks like a choice between Swansea and Hull.
    Both have new managers who look good and have been improved since they arrived.
    For me Swansea would be the best to go down. Assuming they lose llorente and sigurdsson. They have been up there for longer and some older players will be on inflated wage that they may struggle to shift.

For the championship promotion. We will lose one out of reading, Fulham, Huddersfield Sheffield weds and possibly Leeds.
    Reading have been punching above their weight all season, can't see them being as good next season.
    Fulham are a proper team, and are definitely moving in he right direction.
    Huddersfield look like they are building something good also, but may struggle to replace their influential loanees.
    Sheffield Wednesday have been strong for a few years now, but you have to wonder how long they can keep up spending at this rate. Sooner or later they will have to cut their cloth accordingly.
    Leeds look like missing out, but they have the resources to improve next year if their owner doesn't do anything too crazy. That said they are a bit one dimensional.

Of that lot i think I'd rather be rid of Fulham.

At the bottom of the championship it looks like a straight swap between Blackburn, and Birmingham with forest an outside chance.
    Blackburn will be crap again next season so would like them to stay up, i have a feeling that Birmingham and forest would improve, so one of them to go down would be good. And of course redknapp taking them down would be quite funny.

Who do you think would be the best for us?

Re: Relegation/promotion outcomes

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Ignoring who you personally like and dislike, what teams do you think would be best to be relegated/promoted to give Cardiff the best chance next year.

Assuming Sunderland and Middlesbrough are already doomed the premier league relegation looks like a choice between Swansea and Hull.
    Both have new managers who look good and have been improved since they arrived.
    For me Swansea would be the best to go down. Assuming they lose llorente and sigurdsson. They have been up there for longer and some older players will be on inflated wage that they may struggle to shift.

For the championship promotion. We will lose one out of reading, Fulham, Huddersfield Sheffield weds and possibly Leeds.
    Reading have been punching above their weight all season, can't see them being as good next season.
    Fulham are a proper team, and are definitely moving in he right direction.
    Huddersfield look like they are building something good also, but may struggle to replace their influential loanees.
    Sheffield Wednesday have been strong for a few years now, but you have to wonder how long they can keep up spending at this rate. Sooner or later they will have to cut their cloth accordingly.
    Leeds look like missing out, but they have the resources to improve next year if their owner doesn't do anything too crazy. That said they are a bit one dimensional.

Of that lot i think I'd rather be rid of Fulham.

At the bottom of the championship it looks like a straight swap between Blackburn, and Birmingham with forest an outside chance.
    Blackburn will be crap again next season so would like them to stay up, i have a feeling that Birmingham and forest would improve, so one of them to go down would be good. And of course redknapp taking them down would be quite funny.

Who do you think would be the best for us?
    I'd take Jacks down, for reasons you mention, also there will be two extra games to really look forward to (in addition to the Wurzels)

Fulham for promotion as they are an excellent side who I think would do okay in the premiership and deserve their chance. Also they will give us more problems than say Leeds who themselves, lets face it, give us so much subject matter on this board that they just have to miss out!

Would be good to see B'Ham fail after the scandalous sacking of Rowett. Redknapp plying his trade in the 3rd tier would also be entertaining.

I've never understood the regular opinion from fans that Birmingham or Forest are going to be a team to watch. Neither have had a good season for ages, yet they are often predicted to be "up there" based on name rather than anything else.

Yes, Jacks down. I think they'd struggle again.

Happy to see Blackburn stay up, not bothered whether Brum or Forest go.

In terms of promotion from Lee Gwan, it would be hilarious if Bolton blew it and Rochdale sneaked into the playoffs and went up!

Reading not as good next season eh? The cheek of it.

I'd like to see Leeds promoted, buy a shedload of superstars (gambling on a cup run and European games the following season), get to the top of the prem by Christmas, draw us in the Fa Cup round 3, lose, then go into freefall.

Oh, that's been done already, hasn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I'd like to see Leeds promoted, buy a shedload of superstars (gambling on a cup run and European games the following season), get to the top of the prem by Christmas, draw us in the Fa Cup round 3, lose, then go into freefall.

Lol!

I'd like to see Leeds and Jacks moaning about why they haven't done better as we finish above them in a year's time!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Reading not as good next season eh? The cheek of it.
    You heard it here twelfth.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    The championship next season will be tough as well great. Sheff U and Sheff Wed, Brum, Wolves and Villa, The Jacks, Bristol City, Sunderland and Boro , lots of local rivalry there. We'll struggle to make the top 10 - unless Warnock manages to find 6 or more great players who are willing to fight as a team and play like one + a 20 goal a season striker or 2.

It will be fun watching our Neil have a go at it though.
    This kind of post cracks me up.
    There probably isn't a team in the league who wouldn't win the whole damn thing if they brought in 6 great new players including 2 20+ goal strikers.
    I think you may want to temper your expectations or i can see you being a bit disappointed in the summer.

There probably isn't a team in the league who wouldn't win the whole damn thing if they brought in 6 great new players including 2 20+ goal strikers.
    I think you may want to temper your expectations or i can see you being a bit disappointed in the summer.
    If we had two 20 goal strikers and still only struggled into the top 10, you can at least guarantee some exciting matches.

We had 20+ goal scorers a few times when Jones was our manager but didn't get promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We had 20+ goal scorers a few times when Jones was our manager but didn't get promotion.
    When did we have 2 players who both scored 20 goals in the league in the same season though?

When did we have 2 players who both scored 20 goals in the league in the same season though?
    Since 2003 (in all competitions):

2003/04: Earnshaw - 26
    2005/06: Jerome - 20
    2006/07: Chopra - 22
    2008/09: McCormack - 23
    2009/10: Whittingham - 25, Chopra - 21
    2010/11: Bothroyd - 20

We got promoted in 2012/13 when our top scorer was Heidar Helgusson with 9. He, Whitts and Gunnarsson all scored 8 league goals.

I can't see Middlesbrough nor Sunderland challenging next season. Middlesbrough will be the stronger, Sunderland will be a mess.

Swansea will be outsiders if promoted, and Hull will go straight back up if it's then.

Plus, we are losing Brighton and Newcastle. Replacing those with tso long trips north so would be nicer for something that won't take all weekend to go and see. Plus, 2 games on Sky if it's Swansea.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Brilliant

We got promoted in 2012/13 when our top scorer was Heidar Helgusson with 9. He, Whitts and Gunnarsson all scored 8 league goals.
    Who was manager for 5 of those 6 seasons Eric?

So to answer my question, we didn't ever have 2 players both scoring 20 goals or more in the league in the same season. Thanks

Would like to see Fleetwood pip Bolton to second in League 1 and Rochdale/Scunthorpe to win the playoffs

Swansea to come down and Birmingham to be relegated would be nice

Like to see Sheff Wed go up, think they came down on the eve of the premiership and been down ever since...plus I still love Loovens

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Who was manager for 5 of those 6 seasons Eric?
    Who was manager when we didn't have a 20+ goalscorer but more importantly won promotion?

So to answer my question, we didn't ever have 2 players both scoring 20 goals or more in the league in the same season. Thanks
    We came mightily close to it. In terms of league goals, had Chopra scored 1 more, it wouldn't have made any difference in terms of winning automatic promotion.

You heard it here twelfth.
    Yep I would take 12th in the PL next season.