+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Job Opportuntiy

Job Opportuntiy

Re: Job Opportuntiy

19K sounds like bugger all too.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    And you have to suck up to Tan on a regular basis.

It's like 3 times the average salary. So not untold riches but pretty comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    It's like 3 times the average salary. So not untold riches but pretty comfortable
    Sounds ok. I'll apply then. No need for anyone else to. 再见 小伙子.

That's what I thought. Would be interesting to know if they are paying in sterling or chinese yuan and where it's based (although it says all over China). I'm no expert, but China has cities of different tiers paying different salaries. You should earn far more in a Tier 1 city like Beijing than others.

Strange it hasn't mentioned the fairly considerable language barrier too.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That's what I thought. Would be interesting to know if they are paying in sterling or chinese yuan and where it's based (although it says all over China). I'm no expert, but China has cities of different tiers paying different salaries. You should earn far more in a Tier 1 city like Beijing than others.

Strange it hasn't mentioned the fairly considerable language barrier too.
    Actually yeah, looks like 19k would be bigger all in the centre of Shanghai but not bad in other parts

You can earn from 12k upwards teaching English in Beijing with absolutely no experience or qualification, so given what they ask for in this job, I think it's cheap.

You can earn from 12k upwards teaching English in Beijing with absolutely no experience or qualification, so given what they ask for in this job, I think it's cheap.
    I know someone that has gone to China to teach and hasn't the slightest idea about their language
    If you can speak english that is enough. No idea how works.

Actually yeah, looks like 19k would be bigger all in the centre of Shanghai but not bad in other parts
    And if youre not in a city like that theres not going to be much expat community.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I know someone that has gone to China to teach and hasn't the slightest idea about their language
    That's pretty normal for teaching English as a foreign language in any country. You rarely need to be able to speak the same language.

But for your day to day life I imagine it's pretty depressing after a while.

And if youre not in a city like that theres not going to be much expat community.
    It's been ten years since i was last there, and i was working with some French guys who were working there on their French salaries which was probably about 40k and they were living like ****ing rockstars

Edit- thinking about it they were also getting free accommodation

It's been ten years since i was last there, and i was working with some French guys who were working there on their French salaries which was probably about 40k and they were living like ****ing rockstars

Edit- thinking about it they were also getting free accommodation
    Wonder what relocation this job offers. Knowing City, they'll pay for a flight with three stopovers and then you're on your own finding a room.

I am currently looking for people to work in Beijing and offering 10 USD an hour, only about 25 hours a month though. Also you need to speak either Vietnamese, Thai or Malay.

Qualified translators in Beijing get about 15 USD an hour in our company, no idea what benefits they get with that.

Feedback

slightly off thread....

my kids have started to learn mandarin and one of the first things they have learned is what their name in mandarin is. now call me old fashioned but I thought your name was your name, but apparently when you speak in Mandarin it is something else altogether.

Does anyone know why this is the case?

One for Malky then....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    One for Malky then....

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    slightly off thread....

my kids have started to learn mandarin and one of the first things they have learned is what their name in mandarin is. now call me old fashioned but I thought your name was your name, but apparently when you speak in Mandarin it is something else altogether.

Does anyone know why this is the case?
    It's tondo with the difficulty in translation between letter based and pictographs like in Chinese
    I think they try to find a combination of Chinese characters that sound vaguely similar to the western name but also have the kind of Chinese characters that our would want in your name.
    I.e. if there's a character for a steaming pile of manure then they would avoid using that one.

They seem to love their word-play over there too.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    It works because it's the correct way to teach languages. Here we tend to get taught to translate word by word. There, you are essentially taught from scratch as if you have no other language skills. In the same way that you would teach a child to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It works because it's the correct way to teach languages. Here we tend to get taught to translate word by word. There, you are essentially taught from scratch as if you have no other language skills. In the same way that you would teach a child to talk.
    I'm not sure that's entirely right. It's not really a 'here' or 'there' issue as if you're teaching English as a second/foreign language then the methods will be similar whether it's in London or China.

If you mean 'here', as in how we were taught French at school, then I can see your point. Teaching as a foreign language is more about speaking and real practice than doing page 15 of Tricolore. But it's not really from scratch as almost everyone who wants to learn English has some knowledge, even if its as basic as hello and one two three. Absolute beginners are very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I am currently looking for people to work in Beijing and offering 10 USD an hour, only about 25 hours a month though. Also you need to speak either Vietnamese, Thai or Malay.

Qualified translators in Beijing get about 15 USD an hour in our company, no idea what benefits they get with that.
    Il be in Beijing mid-July!

Any recommendations?