+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Future Sanitised Football

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Future Sanitised Football

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Agreed on the rugby comment, although the better referees tend to make most of the decisions and get on with it (Nigel Owens springs to mind), however, I have noticed more and more rugby referees playing safe and going the TMO for almost everything. Could that eventually happen in football ?
    It also happens in cricket a lot. Although the current offside rule is gobbledegook as far as I'm concerned and is a dangerous development away from what I feel is one of the main reasons why football is truly the world game (it's rules are simple to understand), it's still nowhere near as complicated a game as rugby and cricket can be. I think the authorities have got things right at the moment. The officials need some help when it comes to whether the ball crossed the line or not decisions, but nothing else. Everyone loves to have a moan at a ref or linseman, but they get the overwhelming majority of decisions right - what would help them more would be a move away from the current vogue for TV companies trying to turn even the most minor of incidents into some sort of controversy which "the experts in the studio" have to discuss at half time or at the end of the game and a proper clampdown on divers - I'd love to see an official who was convinced someone was diving to try and get his side a penalty be able to award a spot kick at the other end of the pitch, but I think that may be too radical for the law makers .

As for the subject of the thread, I don't miss that feeling that I may be in danger of being attacked at a football game at all. I do miss the sort of match day atmospheres that seemed to be much more common a decade ago than they are now though, but the best atmospheres I've experienced in the new ground have been for a few Wales matches and City games against Man City, Leicester, Palace and a couple of Swansea derbies, only the latter two have had that "edge" to them where the atmosphere could be described as volatile in terms of feeling because of who the opposition were.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 26-04-17 at 06:23.