+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Election really all about Brexit?

Is the Election really all about Brexit?

Since the election was announced, I've heard quite a few voters who say they are traditional Labour followers say that they will be voting Tory on June 8 because it's the only way we can be sure of getting out of the EU. I can understand Brexiteers who would normally vote Lib Dem opting to switch their allegiance, because a second referendum is the central plank of the that parties electoral campaign, but there's been nothing from the Labour Party since the referendum last year to indicate that they favour a re run.

I've also heard the occasional Labour voter who is switching to the Lib Dems just because of that promise of a second referendum, so, it would appear that for some people, the election is all about Brexit. Therefore, it looks as if Theresa May is getting the sort of response she's looking for given the way she spoke last week and she must be delighted as well to see that there appear to be no traditional Conservative voters who are deserting their party because they disagree with it's stance on the issue which we are told this election is all about.

I've not heard one person who classes themselves as a Tory voter say that they will be supporting someone else on 8 June because they disagree with their parties stance on Brexit and yet I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that millions of them must have voted Remain on June 23 last year.

Therefore, it seems to me that Mrs May has the best of both worlds - absolute loyalty from her own support despite at least one policy they do not like and a willingness in opposition parties to switch their votes (often to her party) solely because of the issue she says the election is all about.

Is there anyone on here who will decide who to vote for based solely on Brexit?

Re: Is the Election really all about Brexit?

I heard that Tony Blair and David Cameron are both voting for Jeremy Corbyn, so that the world doesn't end the day after the election.

Labour will do well to avoid a 150 seat Tory majority.
    The opinion polls are probabaly underestimating Tory votes which is the scale of the hammering Labour are going to face.

Dawn Butler is extremely inarticulate and thick, but there are many MPs of all parties like her. She is a good example of someone being selected as a Labour candidate because of her connections rather than her ability.

I voted to remain and have always been a proud Labour voter , I have never failed to vote , I believe it should be mandatory from 16 years of age upwards , however and sadly I will not be voting Labour this time around as I do not follow their current thinking on many matters .

The Tories are being very reticent about recommitting to their 2015 General Election pledges re no increase in Income Tax or VAT. That could alter some people's opinions as the latter will hit everybody in the pocket. They love increasing VAT as it's a regressive tax that hits the poorest hardest.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Since the election was announced, I've heard quite a few voters who say they are traditional Labour followers say that they will be voting Tory on June 8 because it's the only way we can be sure of getting out of the EU. I can understand Brexiteers who would normally vote Lib Dem opting to switch their allegiance, because a second referendum is the central plank of the that parties electoral campaign, but there's been nothing from the Labour Party since the referendum last year to indicate that they favour a re run.

I've also heard the occasional Labour voter who is switching to the Lib Dems just because of that promise of a second referendum, so, it would appear that for some people, the election is all about Brexit. Therefore, it looks as if Theresa May is getting the sort of response she's looking for given the way she spoke last week and she must be delighted as well to see that there appear to be no traditional Conservative voters who are deserting their party because they disagree with it's stance on the issue which we are told this election is all about.

I've not heard one person who classes themselves as a Tory voter say that they will be supporting someone else on 8 June because they disagree with their parties stance on Brexit and yet I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that millions of them must have voted Remain on June 23 last year.

Therefore, it seems to me that Mrs May has the best of both worlds - absolute loyalty from her own support despite at least one policy they do not like and a willingness in opposition parties to switch their votes (often to her party) solely because of the issue she says the election is all about.

Yes me. Though I may spoil my ballot paper if all the candidates in Wurzleland are Pro Brexit as may well be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The Tories are being very reticent about recommitting to their 2015 General Election pledges re no increase in Income Tax or VAT. That could alter some people's opinions as the latter will hit everybody in the pocket. They love increasing VAT as it's a regressive tax that hits the poorest hardest.
    So it's not all about Brexit then

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I voted to remain and have always been a proud Labour voter , I have never failed to vote , I believe it should be mandatory from 16 years of age upwards , however and sadly I will not be voting Labour this time around as I do not follow their current thinking on many matters .
    Of what value are votes by people who weren't motivated to vote in the first place?

Remainers are more likely to be educated and perhaps more likely to realise that Brexit is happening regardless of what they choose to do in this election. Labour leavers are more likely to be less educated and therefore might believe the propaganda.

Labour are a shambles and obviously they don't have much support in our free press so can't conveniently hide that fact. Tories haven't achieved much in government, only a cheerleader would claim otherwise. They are probably the safer bet but if you vote for them you have to swallow the pill and accept that they will do some pretty heartless things to vulnerable people.

This election is probably the most depressing I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Remainers are more likely to be educated and perhaps more likely to realise that Brexit is happening regardless of what they choose to do in this election. Labour leavers are more likely to be less educated and therefore might believe the propaganda.

Labour are a shambles and obviously they don't have much support in our free press so can't conveniently hide that fact. Tories haven't achieved much in government, only a cheerleader would claim otherwise. They are probably the safer bet but if you vote for them you have to swallow the pill and accept that they will do some pretty heartless things to vulnerable people.

The Tories are certainly not the safer better for the disabled, public sector workers,immigrants,the poor etc etc.

Agree with your final sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    So it's not all about Brexit then
    No, its because the opposition is so weak, and its a golden chance to get a massive majority , form her own cabinet, anyone with a feeling about politics could see this coming, other than Gordon Brown that is .

Standard ill informed response full of self importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    totally expected though

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    What do you make of the data posted on this webpage regarding the educational levels of the respective voters?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-eu-referendum

Remainers are more likely to have been educated under a Blair government.
    Says it all really.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    What do you make of the data posted on this webpage regarding the educational levels of the respective voters?

Saw Similar results in other surveys too backing this up.

But people are tired of experts ....( apparently )

This will the first election fought that will include no policies

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Haven't we enough laws already without criminalising failing to vote?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 View Post
    This will the first election fought that will include no policies
    And no leaders ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    The Tories are certainly not the safer better for the disabled, public sector workers,immigrants,the poor etc etc.

Agree with your final sentence
    I believe that if Labour (or Labour & Lib Dems) had been in power these past seven years their policies/reforms would have been very nearly identical. And that should they be elected to office in June they would retain those policies/reforms. Why I'm so sure is that I can recall the Thatcher/Major years, and the proceeding Blair/Brown tenures when they undid absolutely nothing that the Tories introduced. Without being confrontational, can you tell me of any instance of memory failure?

Edit: I recall Blair restored union rights for GCHQ workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Thanks,

over to you Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    I believe that if Labour (or Labour & Lib Dems) had been in power these past seven years their policies/reforms would have been very nearly identical. And that should they be elected to office in June they would retain those policies/reforms. Why I'm so sure is that I can recall the Thatcher/Major years, and the proceeding Blair/Brown tenures when they undid absolutely nothing that the Tories introduced. Without being confrontational, can you tell me of any instance of memory failure?

Edit: I recall Blair restored union rights for GCHQ workers.
    You make a fair point about the Blair Governments not undoing previous Tory policies. I think Corbyn would be different and he has already made clear that the need for 50% of trade unionists needing to vote in regard potential strike action will be scrapped. He has also confirmed the end of public sector pay constraint. He may not be a good leader but this is the first time in decades that I am hearing a Labour leader looking to stand up for his own. In my eyes he deserves real credit for that.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

At the moment it's anyone except Labour, with PC looking likely, however, I will read a few manifestos before the final decision.

Does earning 70k make you rich? I guess it depends how you define rich, it puts them roughly at the 95th percentile of earners in a country with amongst the highest living standards in the world. I think it is a no brainer personally.

I feel like we are losing a little bit of perspective in this country.