+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Moyes charged over that slap comment

David Moyes charged over that slap comment

Re: David Moyes charged over that slap comment

It is laughable.
    Just goes to show what a sad world we live in.

cretin. id like to give him a fecking slap

I'm guessing if i said that in work and anyone complained I'd be disciplined

It was the only right outcome. You can't got around saying things like that to anyone, especially when you're being filmed by national media, regardless of gender.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm guessing if i said that in work and anyone complained I'd be disciplined
    The main thing is she didn't complain.

This is entirely down to media coverage and faux outrage over a man making a joke with a women.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    It was the only right outcome. You can't got around saying things like that to anyone, especially when you're being filmed by national media, regardless of gender.
    Are you joking?.

I mean, people would be being fired all day every day if this we started disciplining employees over harmless jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Are you joking?.

I mean, people would be being fired all day every day if this we started disciplining employees over harmless jokes.
    I'm not sure what line of work you are in, but if I was giving a formal presentation and threatened to slap someone for asking a difficult question I'm quite sure I'd need to explain myself to my boss shortly afterwards.

This is entirely down to media coverage and faux outrage over a man making a joke with a women.
    Even if i had a joke with a woman in work and they didn't complain, but someone else did i would be disciplined.

I guess in her job there would be quite a lot of pressure on a female reporter not to complain about this sort of thing even if she was offended.

I don't think Moyes is sexist, but he's an idiot. I doubt any of the rest of us would make such a comment in such a public forum.

Is it only a problem if the person its aimed at complains? What if they feel like they can't raise it because they fear the sack if they do? I'm not saying that's the case here but you don't have to think hard to imagine places where it might be. Is it not ok for someone else to speak up on their behalf?

I'm not sure what line of work you are in, but if I was giving a formal presentation and threatened to slap someone for asking a difficult question I'm quite sure I'd need to explain myself to my boss shortly afterwards.
    Only post match interviews in football are not formal, at all. Moyes is not making a formal presentation to customers or shareholders, he is doing an off the cuff interview.

And often interviewer make jokes.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 26-04-17 at 11:05.

He apologised. That was sufficient methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Is it only a problem if the person its aimed at complains? What if they feel like they can't raise it because they fear the sack if they do? I'm not saying that's the case here but you don't have to think hard to imagine places where it might be. Is it not ok for someone else to speak up on their behalf?
    Yes definitely. Otherwise some will be taken advantage of.

But this, it is just nothing. The fact remains that if he'd said it to a man nothing would've been made of it.

The equivalent in my day to day life would be me being disciplined for making a joke with a fedex driver or something Really I am in work, I should be formal and professional, but I assure you the communications are not!.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 26-04-17 at 11:14.

Yes definitely. Otherwise some will be taken advantage of.

But this, it is just nothing. The fact remains that if he'd said it to a man nothing would've been made of it.

The equivalent in my day to day life would be me being disciplined for making a joke with a fedex driver or something Really I am in work, I should be formal and professional, yet I assure you the communications are not!.
    So if we want to pick on someone, we should make sure it's someone who can't fight back.

So if we want to pick on someone, we should make sure it's someone who can't fight back.
    Not really sure what you mean.

He even clarifies that he is all for equality. Both sexes will get a slap.

Only post match interviews in football are not formal, at all. Moyes is not making a formal presentation to customers or shareholders, he is doing an off the cuff interview.

And often interviewer make jokes.
    He was also representing his employer and profession in front of the national & world media.

Not really sure what you mean.

He even clarifies that he is all for equality. Both sexes will get a slap.
    It's not a difficult concept, why do you think companies have HR departments? If your boss is making what he thinks is great bantz but is actually upsetting and a colleague goes to HR to let them know, it doesn't make the complaint less valid because you didn't do it yourself. Or if you feel that you have too much to lose so grudgingly put up with it, does that make the boss's behaviour ok?

Gender has nothing to do what I'm saying.

He was also representing his employer and profession in front of the national & world media.
    Lets be honest morals and football went out the window many moons ago.

Managers treat officials like dirt to no outcry or punishment.

Professionals in name only.

It was a joke. A pretty bad one but still.

It's not a difficult concept, why do you think companies have HR departments? If your boss is making what he thinks is great bantz but is actually upsetting and a colleague goes to HR to let them know, it doesn't make the complaint less valid because you didn't do it yourself. Or if you feel that you have too much to lose so grudgingly put up with it, does that make the boss's behaviour ok?

Gender has nothing to do what I'm saying.
    It would be like me taking it upon myself to go to HR when someone took someones favourite parking spot.

Gender might not be why you are commenting now but the reason for the coverage is entirely because of gender.

There's not much to argue over. I agree with what you've said. But in this case there was no malice behind it.

Blog Entries

This^ , I wouldn't have complained either, not unless I thought it was a genuine threat, I would have just laughed at him, if other people complained then they should mind their own business imo.

I'm imagining the same scenario on here, someone says something considered inappropriate to me, I laugh about it but other people report the post, what should admin do in that situation? I would feel pretty bad if someone got banned over something I was not even bothered about, I imagine that woman is feeling pretty awkward right now and a tad patronised.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I'm imagining the same scenario on here, someone says something considered inappropriate to me, I laugh about it but other people report the post, what should admin do in that situation? .
    Seek you out and give you a damn good slapping.

I'm totally against slapping women - except when they deserve to be slapped, of course.

A storm in a bra cup.

If the FA came down on serious offences they would have some credibility in this, but they don't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Seek you out and give you a damn good slapping.

I'm totally against slapping women - except when they deserve to be slapped, of course.
    Mike! He's picking on me.

It would be like me taking it upon myself to go to HR when someone took someones favourite parking spot.

Gender might not be why you are commenting now but the reason for the coverage is entirely because of gender.

There's not much to argue over. I agree with what you've said. But in this case there was no malice behind it.
    Of course there was, he was trying to intimidate her into asking him nicer questions next time instead of doing her job. He tried to make it in what he thought was a jokey way but there's no question about what his intention.

Maybe this is the first time he's ever tried to influence a reporter, in which case he's very unlucky it was caught on tape. More likely is that he's done it before and the other journos who cover his matches are probably relieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    This^ , I wouldn't have complained either, not unless I thought it was a genuine threat, I would have just laughed at him, if other people complained then they should mind their own business imo.

I'm imagining the same scenario on here, someone says something considered inappropriate to me, I laugh about it but other people report the post, what should admin do in that situation? I would feel pretty bad if someone got banned over something I was not even bothered about, I imagine that woman is feeling pretty awkward right now and a tad patronised.
    People's jobs and careers is a bit different to anonymous posting on a messageboard.