+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Good luck Merthyr Town

Good luck Merthyr Town

One legged play off semi final V Hitchen Town tonight at Pennydarren Park.

http://www.merthyrtownfc.co.uk/news/...ff-semi-final/

Go up this season and they are only one promotion away from the Conference.

Re: Good luck Merthyr Town

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post

Lost 4-1 on penalties after extra time.

After a pretty even first half Merthyr dominated the second half and all of extra time. The Hitchin goalie made a couple of saves that were top class, and you just knew it wasn't going to be Merthyr's night. The save he made in the 120th minute from a point blank header was as good as I've ever seen. So, it was no surprise that he saved three of the first 4 spotkicks which takes Hitchin through to the final at Leamington on Monday.

Great effort from Merthyr, and they couldn't have done any more. A break until August now, and then start the fight all over again. It'll be interesting next year with Hereford Utd now up to Merthyr's division.
    Last edited by Hot Shot Hamish.; 27-04-17 at 09:12.

That's such a shame and the manner of losing is going to be painful for a long time for players and fans alike.
    Losing on penalties in a cup final is hard enough to bear, even playing Sunday football, but when the whole of next season depends on it and potentially beyond depends on it.

Hopefully they keep the squad together and can go one better next year.

Real shame for them, their home form has been so strong this year as well. I fancied them to beat Hitchin though away to Leamington who finished clear in 2nd place would have been difficult.

Hopefully they can give it another go next year, would be good to see them back to at least the Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post

Merthyr are back and we are loving it

I think this league is about their level they havent got the finance to compete at the next level.

I dont think the fans will be too bad. Unlike City fans they dont demand success. They are happy to be owning their own club and success at all costs is not on their agenda.

I expect Hereford to go straigh through the division next year.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I think this league is about their level they havent got the finance to compete at the next level.

I dont think the fans will be too bad. Unlike City fans they dont demand success. They are happy to be owning their own club and success at all costs is not on their agenda.

I expect Hereford to go straigh through the division next year.
    Unfortunately, even at that level, money is required to succeed. Hopefully the players aren't solely driven by money and stay on to go one better although I suspect vultures will be circling.

As you say though, nice to be the owners and I suppose managing success and disappointment is easier when you are the masters of your own destiny.
    Respect

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Unfortunately, even at that level, money is required to succeed. Hopefully the players aren't solely driven by money and stay on to go one better although I suspect vultures will be circling.

As you say though, nice to be the owners and I suppose managing success and disappointment is easier when you are the masters of your own destiny.
    Respect
    I think he left years ago mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    I think he left years ago mate.
    no pun intended