+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Welbeck - evil, stupid little bastard

Welbeck - evil, stupid little bastard

No, not that Welbeck. I'm on about Michel Houellebecq - pronounced “Welbeck” - who was described by his own mother as "an evil, stupid little bastard". She also wrote "This individual, who alas came from my womb, is a liar, an imposter, a parasite and above all a petit arriviste ready to do absolutely anything for money and fame". Houellebecq had described her as a disgusting old hippy who ruined his life.

I'm only mentioning Houellebecq on here because Mike asked me. Even though he knows most of you on are as thick as pig shit he thinks a few literary posts might raise the tone of the site.

I think Mike is wrong. The only people who think ordinary people are interested in books are writers. Julian Barnes, a Hampstead literary figure and a Commandeur of L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres wrote the following in The London Review of Books :

"The day after the vote, I was walking in my local park when a man cycled towards me straight over a no cycling sign. I gave him a routine, unthinking glare, to which he responded with a shout of ‘Oi, Flaubert, where are you now?’ A rare North London cry of Brexiteering triumphalism."

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n08/julian-barnes/diary

Really? About 300 people in the world would recognise Julian Barnes but some random lout on a bike recognises him and has read at least one of his books.

Sorry Mike but posts about literature will not work on here. This post is about grown ups who still blame their misfortunes on their parents. Houellebecq is a prime example. His parents let his grandparents bring him up while they went off enjoying a free sex lifestyle all around the world. His mother saw it differently and there is a fascinating interview with her here :

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...drelationships

In my opinion you become a mature adult when you stop blaming your parents for whatever you think they did to you. I know people in their 70s who are still blaming their parents for not loving them enough or some rubbish like that. Just get over it and get on with it.

Are you still blaming your parents?

Re: Welbeck - evil, stupid little bastard

My mother used to say that you should always wear clean underwear in case you get knocked over and I always followed her advice. Then one day I was hit by a bus, and after looking at the open fracture on my shin, I shat my pants anyway. And pissed them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    No, not that Welbeck. I'm on about Michel Houellebecq - pronounced “Welbeck” - who was described by his own mother as "an evil, stupid little bastard". She also wrote "This individual, who alas came from my womb, is a liar, an imposter, a parasite and above all a petit arriviste ready to do absolutely anything for money and fame". Houellebecq had described her as a disgusting old hippy who ruined his life.

I'm only mentioning Houellebecq on here because Mike asked me. Even though he knows most of you on are as thick as pig shit he thinks a few literary posts might raise the tone of the site.

I think Mike is wrong. The only people who think ordinary people are interested in books are writers. Julian Barnes, a Hampstead literary figure and a Commandeur of L'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres wrote the following in The London Review of Books :

"The day after the vote, I was walking in my local park when a man cycled towards me straight over a no cycling sign. I gave him a routine, unthinking glare, to which he responded with a shout of ‘Oi, Flaubert, where are you now?’ A rare North London cry of Brexiteering triumphalism."

Really? About 300 people in the world would recognise Julian Barnes but some random lout on a bike recognises him and has read at least one of his books.

Sorry Mike but posts about literature will not work on here. This post is about grown ups who still blame their misfortunes on their parents. Houellebecq is a prime example. His parents let his grandparents bring him up while they went off enjoying a free sex lifestyle all around the world. His mother saw it differently and there is a fascinating interview with her here :

In my opinion you become a mature adult when you stop blaming your parents for whatever you think they did to you. I know people in their 70s who are still blaming their parents for not loving them enough or some rubbish like that. Just get over it and get on with it.

I do my best not to dwell on my childhood but it's naive to think that appalling parenting that we received didn't affect our behaviour and personality traits. Sometimes it has an effect that we will make the effort to do exactly the opposite of our parents. My father was exceedingly violent whereas I have never laid a hand on anyone in my life and try to use reason and rational discussion where possible - and I have never been a herd animal, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    My mother used to say that you should always wear clean underwear in case you get knocked over and I always followed her advice. Then one day I was hit by a bus, and after looking at the open fracture on my shin, I shat my pants anyway. And pissed them.
    So are you blaming your mother for the rubbish advice or was she driving the bus?

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post

I blame my parents for not insisting I read more books. Unfortunately therefore, I shall not be following your links

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    So are you blaming your mother for the rubbish advice or was she driving the bus?
    She chased him all over town with that bus, passengers got well pissed off.
    A few were reading books though so they never noticed.

It's nice to see the OP taking responsibility for his own condescension and generalisation.

My mum also used to tell me to wear clean underwear in case I was in accident, then she ran me over to make sure I took her advice. I thanked her afterwards, of course, cos I'm a grown up.

These medics are experts, they spend years in training so they would have been able to tell that they were freshly shitted knickers rather than crusty old skid marks. They would have been able to deduce in seconds that your mother knew her eggs, while you were, what doctors call, a 'big girls blouse'.

Another post by a poster who types a lot without actually saying anything.

Danny Welbecks Grandad was a bomb disposal expert in the 2nd world war.
    Stan Welbeck.