+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Morning after thoughts

Morning after thoughts

At times last night - especially when Ralls and Pilkington came on I thought we played some really good football.

Some of the interplay was excellent, and I thought Bennett and a Richards were especially impressive.

Bennett is a lovely footballer and for once a full back who is comfortable going forward. His weakness for me is standing off his man. Too many early crosses- and considering he's reasonably quick I think he can get tighter.

Richards sometimes gets turned, but is wholehearted and has a decent engine and reasonable technique- is just like to see him hit a few more ambitious balls. Sometimes comes back rather than trying to get to the by line or get an early cross in.

Difficult to see the solid Perrier getting back in.

I also felt that Gunnar won a lot of ball in the middle and disastrous back pass apart Morrison was good again.

Given the goals given at Villa and Wolves where he was outmuscled/ fouled and the Barnsley one where Gunnar was clearly fouled, then Morrisons goal yesterday just shows the different laws the refs seem to use for challenges in the box.

We were very unlucky with that.
    Also the Newcastle goal- is like to see the challenge for the free kick again- looked soft to me- and with a kick a yard or 2 outside the 18 yard box why line up the wall a similar distance in front of the 6 yard box ?

Most of the time walls seem to be 8-9 yards back - that one looked 11-12.

2 games v Newcastle this season where they were given all the big decisions.
    I felt over the 180 minutes of those 2 games we matched them. I'm still yet to see us beat them ( missed the cup game) in nearly 40 years as a fan.

First Team

Re: Morning after thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    At times last night - especially when Ralls and Pilkington came on I thought we played some really good football.

Some of the interplay was excellent, and I thought Bennett and a Richards were especially impressive.

Bennett is a lovely footballer and for once a full back who is comfortable going forward. His weakness for me is standing off his man. Too many early crosses- and considering he's reasonably quick I think he can get tighter.

Richards sometimes gets turned, but is wholehearted and has a decent engine and reasonable technique- is just like to see him hit a few more ambitious balls. Sometimes comes back rather than trying to get to the by line or get an early cross in.

Difficult to see the solid Perrier getting back in.

I also felt that Gunnar won a lot of ball in the middle and disastrous back pass apart Morrison was good again.

Given the goals given at Villa and Wolves where he was outmuscled/ fouled and the Barnsley one where Gunnar was clearly fouled, then Morrisons goal yesterday just shows the different laws the refs seem to use for challenges in the box.

We were very unlucky with that.
    Also the Newcastle goal- is like to see the challenge for the free kick again- looked soft to me- and with a kick a yard or 2 outside the 18 yard box why line up the wall a similar distance in front of the 6 yard box ?

Most of the time walls seem to be 8-9 yards back - that one looked 11-12.

2 games v Newcastle this season where they were given all the big decisions.
    I felt over the 180 minutes of those 2 games we matched them. I'm still yet to see us beat them ( missed the cup game) in nearly 40 years as a fan.
    I would agree up to a point about last nights game.
    We were certainly competitive for the majority of the match and the disallowed goal was a debatable decision to say the least.
    However, imo when it mattered Newcastle had a little more quality all round. Whilst I would agree that they tended to get the 50/50 calls I wonder if part of their quality is that they played the ref better than us.

Who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I would agree up to a point about last nights game.
    We were certainly competitive for the majority of the match and the disallowed goal was a debatable decision to say the least.
    However, imo when it mattered Newcastle had a little more quality all round. Whilst I would agree that they tended to get the 50/50 calls I wonder if part of their quality is that they played the ref better than us.

Who knows
    Apart from our goal. The decisions more than evened themselves out.

Richards - could have been red.
    2 penalty decisons rejected.

Your right Newcastle just had the all round quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Apart from our goal. The decisions more than evened themselves out.

Richards - could have been red.
    2 penalty decisons rejected.

Your right Newcastle just had the all round quality.

Morrison's goal should have stood.

The Halford shirt tug should have been a penalty.

I'm not convinced the Jazz 'push' was a penalty - he had both hands out but there was no real push. The Newcastle player felt him there and fell over.

Perez should have had a yellow for his ankle breaker on Harris, and another for kicking the ball away when they were 2 up.

Jazz could have had a red instead of a yellow for his two footed tackle.

Overall a fair result would have been 1 - 3 (or 1 - 2 with a spectacular McGregor penalty save).

Newcastle had the better quality and always looked able to move up a few more gears. No surprise and no disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

I'm not convinced the Jazz 'push' was a penalty - he had both hands out but there was no real push. The Newcastle player felt him there and fell over.

Perez should have had a yellow for his ankle breaker on Harris, and another for kicking the ball away when they were 2 up.

Overall a fair result would have been 1 - 3 (or 1 - 2 with a spectacular McGregor penalty save).

Newcastle had the better quality and always looked able to move up a few more gears. No surprise and no disgrace.
    A lot of people missed the tackle on Harris,should have had a card for that.

My brief thoughts summed up would be;

1) Craig Noone let himself down and I imagine nobody knows that more than he does. He can be considered no more than a squad player for next season, if he stays. I don't believe he will.

2) Jazz Richards should have seen red for an awful challenge and was incredibly lucky not to concede a penalty. A committed performer but has weaknesses to work on.

3) There is no room for sentiment in football from a manager's point of view. Whittingham has been a great servant but I have no issue at all with Warnock bringing him off. Newcastle were on top and he tried to make a change to win the match.

4) Kadeem Harris has ability but I'm still not convinced that he can reach the levels required to be a top championship winger. That said, we see plenty of hardworking players only really start to perform in their mid to late 20s so I feel we should keep him for next season. If we can get him to sign a new contract.

5) Pilkington has plenty of footballing ability and City will benefit hugely next season if he has a good pre-season. I'd like us to keep him.

6) For Junior Hoilett, see Pilkington. They need to work hard with him on his end product.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

We could have had a few more. 2 close headers from Manga and Zohore, 2 bad misses from Noone, they also had a few decent chances including when McGregor saved well from Murphy after Morrisons mistake.

On another day we would have got a result.

I'm surprised no one else has picked up on how far the ref put the wall back for the free kick for their goal.
    Looked excessive to me .