Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
I don't understand the complaints about the free kick which led to Newcastle's first goal. It was an absolutely blatant foul, no doubt about it. Disallowing Morrison's 'goal' did appear a little harsh, but Manga also looked to have fouled his man and the ref blew up early.

In my view, criticism of the referee is very one-eyed and Warnock once again came across as a right tool after the game due to his whinging. Newcastle were denied two clear penalties and Richards could easily have been sent off instead of booked for what was a very reckless challenge, so things more than evened themselves out over the ninety minutes. The visitors were quite comfortably the better side, although their defence looked lightweight and City missed a couple of straightforward chances. Had they scored one of them it would have made things a lot more interesting, but Newcastle always looked like they could step things up a gear if they needed to.
Criticism of any ref will depend on how you perceive his decision and the one for Morrisons goal was unfair in the context of the ones given against us for Wolves, Villa and Barnsley and also the one NOT given to us at St James Park.

As I said about the foul for the first goal- I'd like to see it again. It looked soft and the Newcastle players did seem to be going over easily- probably also with the 2 'clear penalties' which you claim. I remember a couple of awful dives which could have been bookings and if they are the 2 which I think you are talking about then both were in front of the Newcastle fans who didn't seem too bothered, the City fans near wanted him booked.

In some games we've had things our way - like Leeds away, where the ref seemed to be making a point about not being intimidated, but against Newcastle we seem to get the worst of the big decisions ( although at St James' the Newcastle fans were very unhappy that the ref there let a lot of physical stuff go)