+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “He must have been watching a different game to me”.

Re: “He must have been watching a different game to me”.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Great write up as usual just wondering why you omitted the lack of youngsters being involved in the blog?
    Seeing that you are a massive supporter of the up and coming youngsters, do you think NW as given the
    youngsters a fair crack because last season you were right down on the manager for the same reason?
    Here's what I said in another thread yesterday;-

"I must have dreamt that Warnock gave a league debut to an eighteen year old and a first team debut to a 21 year old who was playing non league football six months ago last week."

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    I've never been one to blame officials for any loses we have, especially now the infamous Barry Knight has long gone. We are certainly quite a way behind Newcastle who deserved their win last night. Their cutting edge and quality was evident and perhaps just as significantly the squad depth embarrassed us somewhat.

But the ref was awful. The challenge which ended Kadeems game and perhaps season went unpunished and I thought that Newcastle were given much more benefit of doubt than we were throughout.

Paul, thought Zahore was offside and I don't understand 'phases of play' well enough to make a significant contribution but it looked a harsh decision when a defender touches the ball.

Over​all thought we looked tired and leggy.

I am not sure some of the criticism I've seen aimed at certain players is deserved. Much has been asked of them since Warnock took over and with such a small squad they have trained and played to maximum levels to essentially rescue our season. Let's give them a break.

In a way I am pleased with last night as it reiterates the areas we need to strengthen... Guile, pace and finishing and a little more steel and workrate in the middle of the park.

Jazz was super again and made some excellent challenges.

Just the thought of Barry Knight of Orpington makes my blood boil!

I agree about Jazz, one of the most improved players since Warnock arrived in my opinion. Prior to that I was wondering if we had made a mistake in signing him.

One of the problems City have had for the last 3 seasons is something I've constantly commented on - ie, the lack of goalscoring ability from players other than our 'recognised strikers'. For me, with modern football, it's essential that there are at least 3 or 4 others who can strike a ball hard and accurately when given the chance.We are powder-puff weak in front of goal, and I would hope that any new midfield players Warnock brings in, will have a good scoring record.

That's another reason why I'm not excactly overwhelmed with the news that Hoillett and Harris are going to be here next season. If you're looking for a top 6 postition, I don't think either of these two would be regular fixtures in the team..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    One of the problems City have had for the last 3 seasons is something I've constantly commented on - ie, the lack of goalscoring ability from players other than our 'recognised strikers'. For me, with modern football, it's essential that there are at least 3 or 4 others who can strike a ball hard and accurately when given the chance.We are powder-puff weak in front of goal, and I would hope that any new midfield players Warnock brings in, will have a good scoring record.

That's another reason why I'm not excactly overwhelmed with the news that Hoillett and Harris are going to be here next season. If you're looking for a top 6 postition, I don't think either of these two would be regular fixtures in the team..

I am not convinced that either will be a regular fixture next season. Warnock has talked about having a stronger bench & this is where I think we will see both of them for parts of next season. Harris in particular will be a good weapon to have on the bench if we need to chase a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Surely the point is that while there is a general acceptance that Zohore was offside at times in the move before the Newcastle player touched the ball, but at none of these times was he deemed to be offside by the official. The linesman was right in front of me and did not wave his flag until Zohore touched the ball, so he didn't believe there had been a foul, he clearly judged our player to be offside, hence I quoted the part of the law that it seems to me he applied to this incident.

You mention "grey areas". Time was when there was no such thing in football, the laws were clear and easy to understand for everyone and, although they may disagree at times with how they were applied by the officials, spectators were at least clear in the knowledge as to why a decision had been made.

There was a time under the old offside law where FIFA stated that any benefit of the doubt with offside decisions should be applied to attacking players rather than defending ones. For me, that was a change for the better and there was never any need for the complicated changes that have prompted around twenty posts in this thread arguing from different points of view without us still really knowing why the linesman raised his flag at the time that he did - more proof that the modern day offside law is an ass.
    To be fair, the first line of the offside laws says 'it is not an offence to be in an offside position'. That was brought in to give a built-in advantage to attackers, and to the game itself. It means there are less offsides because the linesman doesn't have to raise his flag unless he feels the attacker is interfering with play. It's a good rule but obviously it's open to the interpretation of what constitutes 'interfering with play' at times.

The confusion with the Zohore incident comes from that. Zohore was clearly in an offside position when the ball was played but checked his run so he was now quite a distance behind both defender and ball. The linesman probably felt that he was far enough away to be not affecting the play so didn't raise his flag. If Zohore stops then play can go on but he carries on running, puts pressure on the defender, challenges him then takes the ball which, like I said, makes him offside three times over. There's no doubt to give him the benefit of.

My sympathy is totally with the defender here. He's caught Zohore offside and should be rewarded with an instant flag and a free-kick. Instead, he finds himself running towards the byline with Zohore somewhere behind him. He can't leave the ball, in case the linesman has missed the fact that Zohore was in an offside position, but if he starts playing it then Zohore might suddenly become onside again (because of the rule you highlighted) and take it off him (or intercept a mishit pass). I'm all for letting the game flow but as soon as Zohore started running for the ball the flag should've gone up.