+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much do you need to earn these days for decent life???

Re: How much do you need to earn these days for decent life???

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Wanting a wife and children is not materialistic and on 150 a week that's simply not possible
    You could send her out to work to pay for her own luxuries and decent life, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    You could send her out to work to pay for her own luxuries and decent life, I suppose.
    Well, well, well there's a surprise. Phil appears then so does Kris. Yawn.

To be fair, Phil's level of English has improved no end since he first started posting on here.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    To be fair, Phil's level of English has improved no end since he first started posting on here.
    Kris has been giving him extra tuition free of charge because he couldn't afford the college course out of 150 a week

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    I bid £260.

Money waiting.
    It would cost more than £260 just to hire a man-eating tiger for an afternoon. You guys need to break down the real world financials on this if you ever want your project to see the light of day. Perhaps a gofund me page or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    They say the best things in life are free, but I would happily pay £250 to see Alan Tate being mauled by a tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    £40k per person in Cardiff would give a decent life as long as you live within your means and don't attempt to become something your not or over stretch by living in high end properties, driving high end cars ,spoiling your children , going on Dubai type holidays, all funded on the credit card .

Life it's about building blocks, in my experience todays modern young families ,with two earners and kids, are trying to run before they can walk ,because they have property collateral behind them it entices way too much credit for inexperienced youngsters .
    Last edited by life on mars; 01-05-17 at 17:26.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    £40k per person in Cardiff would give a decent life as long as you live within your means and don't attempt to become something your not or over stretch by living in high end properties, driving high end cars ,spoiling your children , going on Dubai type holidays, all funded on the credit card .

Life it's about building blocks, in my experience todays modern young families ,with two earners and kids, are trying to run before they can walk ,because they have property collateral behind them it entices way too much credit for inexperienced youngsters .
    lets be honest, 10 - 15 years ago money was being thrown around like confetti, you have a child and earn under 70 K, here you go pal, here is 400 quid a month family tax credit , the policeman next door to me had 2 children ( 1 in school ) and he was getting 390 quid from family tax credit at one point, crazy, just crazy, BUT he loved it, why wouldnt he ? ?

International

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Amen to this sir

Same story here but when I say house. We lived in a tiny little house with great big holes in the roof! But it was a house to us
    Holes in roof?
    Eeeh lad, we'd have given anything for a roof, holes or not. A brick walled yard, that what we ad!

I honestly think that the thread title ought to be:

What do we consider to be a 'decent life' these days ? Can we afford it?

If yes, Great.
    If not, should we get a bit more realistic and cut our cloth accordingly, or find some other method of funding it (legally, ideally) without it actually half killing us just for the sake of our own material ambitions? ;)

That thought should help determine how much would need to be earned. Or where we need a reality check.
    The way I see it is - we all deserve a decent life, but equally we are not entitled to anything that we cannot actually hope to afford.

A lot of folks, friends and colleagues, who I talk to these days seem to have developed material ambitions that are outside their true financial outlook.
    Especially in many areas of e.g. Wales where wages are not fantastic, but cultural/material ambitions remain about the same.
    Well said that man

The British state owes £1,730 billion and the average UK household owes £13,000 (which excludes mortgage payments). Britons, politicians and people, are addicted to debt. The next world financial crisis will make the 2008 one look like a minor blip.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    The British state owes £1,730 billion and the average UK household owes £13,000 (which excludes mortgage payments). Britons, politicians and people, are addicted to debt. The next world financial crisis will make the 2008 one look like a minor blip.
    ------ allegedly!!!!

I honestly think that the thread title ought to be:

What do we consider to be a 'decent life' these days ? Can we afford it?

If yes, Great.
    If not, should we get a bit more realistic and cut our cloth accordingly, or find some other method of funding it (legally, ideally) without it actually half killing us just for the sake of our own material ambitions? ;)

That thought should help determine how much would need to be earned. Or where we need a reality check.
    The way I see it is - we all deserve a decent life, but equally we are not entitled to anything that we cannot actually hope to afford.

A lot of folks, friends and colleagues, who I talk to these days seem to have developed material ambitions that are outside their true financial outlook.
    Especially in many areas of e.g. Wales where wages are not fantastic, but cultural/material ambitions remain about the same.
    Good post. Also, if the suggestion is that a decent life is created by being able to afford a few material treats, we must be easily pleased.

And for some unfashionable reason, it appears that you can't wait and indeed relish the onset of a world financial crisis. Do you mind if I ask why?

The sooner it happens the easier it'll be to recover. The longer it's dragged out then the more difficult and prolonged it'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    It would cost more than £260 just to hire a man-eating tiger for an afternoon. You guys need to break down the real world financials on this if you ever want your project to see the light of day. Perhaps a gofund me page or something similar?
    Nuh. I knows a bloke at the Zoo. Yeah. So.

"Two people disagree with me, therefore they must be the same person"
    It's a cute trait on this forum that I've never come across on other forums.

The sooner it happens the easier it'll be to recover. The longer it's dragged out then the more difficult and prolonged it'll be.
    It's difficult and prolonged NOW!

Our economy is built on debt, it's why we reward people with low interest rates to buy iPads, new kitchens and cars. Savers are penalised with inflation.

The next crash will be the same as the last crash, one domino will set the others falling. I'm not convinced it will happen soon though. 2008 was on the cards as early as 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And for some unfashionable reason, it appears that you can't wait and indeed relish the onset of a world financial crisis. Do you mind if I ask why?
    The next financial crisis would see massive unemployment levels that may never recover due to automation. I think he's just craving the company.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    lets be honest, 10 - 15 years ago money was being thrown around like confetti, you have a child and earn under 70 K, here you go pal, here is 400 quid a month family tax credit , the policeman next door to me had 2 children ( 1 in school ) and he was getting 390 quid from family tax credit at one point, crazy, just crazy, BUT he loved it, why wouldnt he ? ?
    The cut off point for family tax credits with 2 children is £32k, and it tapers from that point at around £400 per £1000 per anum.

So to be getting £400 a month his family income needed to be well below £20k or to be having super high nursery costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Liz brings in a few quid in tourism where as Nigel who never done a days work just flew back from Florida with his 6 kids.
    There is no evidence that the royal family bring in any money in tourism.

In fact, were we to get rid of them we would be able to open up the STATE OWNED palaces that we pay them to live in and attract lots of tourists to look at them instead.

The palace of Versailles gets millions more visitors per year than Buckingham palace.

I think no matter what you earn you spend it.
    Sadly a few years ago I thought having a consolidation loan on my house to consolidate debt was a good idea ( ****ing first plus !!) and it's Cost me a shit load in interest .

Learnt my lesson, got a job and a business interest and paid off two CCJS in last year.

I need to earn 45k a year to have a reasonably comfortable
    Life with that debt hanging over me.

During the financial crash, i had 2 kids and i had my hours cut in work down to 3 days a week. in effect i lost 40% of my weekly wage. It was tough. What i did have however was time my children were young and we could spend our time in parks, and doing things that were free, even though life was tough, i was lucky enough to manage to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads. However life was still decent. If we wanted a holiday it was UK based, maybe camping, its all life experience and children just want to do things as a family anyway.

In the past 5 years things have recovered. The work has picked up and there is a little bit more money there. However i think people can have a decent life on a lot less money than people think, and its amazing how much money you waste.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    During the financial crash, i had 2 kids and i had my hours cut in work down to 3 days a week. in effect i lost 40% of my weekly wage. It was tough. What i did have however was time my children were young and we could spend our time in parks, and doing things that were free, even though life was tough, i was lucky enough to manage to keep food on the table and a roof over our heads. However life was still decent. If we wanted a holiday it was UK based, maybe camping, its all life experience and children just want to do things as a family anyway.

In the past 5 years things have recovered. The work has picked up and there is a little bit more money there. However i think people can have a decent life on a lot less money than people think, and its amazing how much money you waste.
    That would have been more or less my contribution to this thread.
    My business suffered massively during the financial crash, it only just survived. 3 holiday abroad a year became camping weekends. The camping weekends were brilliant some of the best times of our lives as a family .
    I have tried to teach my children that whilst you need money to survive there is much more to life than money and possessions.

On the subject of debt , I hope when I pop my clogs I am into the banks for plenty and they cant get the money from my estate
    Much better than leaving stacks in a savings account . As the expression goes" you cant take it with you "

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post

Almost a blessing in disguise maybe? Precious time with the kids when they are little and like you say you got by ok. I know plenty who didn't want to go full time again after kids, just trying to balance out a work life balance on a 3 to 4 day week. My original question wasn't quite worded right, as ever, it was more to hear what posters feel they need to earn to live, everyone has different needs and wants....
    Apparently, most couples argue about cash so it's obviously a big deal and can impact other parts of your life like health and mental issues. We are led to believe we NEED certain things in life or get used to them, then can't live without them.