+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you need to earn these days for decent life???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How much do you need to earn these days for decent life???

Grand a month might cover bills, food is expensive if you like to eat well, 2 grand, 4? Holidays??
    Never mind kids.....

Re: How much do you need to earn these days for decent life???

70k isn't it?

In Cardiff I reckon 60 - 70K would do it

Don't fill your life with materialistic crap and nowhere near as much as you may think

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Don't fill your life with materialistic crap and nowhere near as much as you may think
    Did you send in the above contribution by postcard?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Did you send in the above contribution by postcard?
    I don't think he's claiming he doesn't fill his life with crap. He's just saying that, if you don't, you could live on a small amount of money. If, by definition, living is having shelter, warmth, food and nothing else, then I think he is right.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Grand a month might cover bills, food is expensive if you like to eat well, 2 grand, 4? Holidays??
    Never mind kids.....
    Grand a month to cover bills?

I live in Merthyr with a 400 quid a month mortgage and my bills are 1200!!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...ludeSSTC=false

Houses in Gwent can sell for £35,000. That's £140 a month. Council tax would be about £100 a month. Food - if just you, you could easily eat for £40 a week or £160 a month. £400 a month.

Water rates £50 a month
    Electricity and gas, about £80 a month.

£530 a month. Add in house insurance, and a bit for a rainy day, and for £600 a month you could be buying a property in Gwent, eating and living in warmth.

Everything else is, frankly, a luxury. So, it's open to definition of what living comfortably is. I reckon you could live a minimal existence for £8000 per year. And, in 25 years, you'd own your own property. If you could get in a lodger, you could feasibly charge £100-£120 a week for rent and you'd be living on less than £4k a year.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCPhil View Post

Houses in Gwent can sell for £35,000. That's £140 a month. Council tax would be about £100 a month. Food - if just you, you could easily eat for £40 a week or £160 a month. £400 a month.

Water rates £50 a month

£530 a month. Add in house insurance, and a bit for a rainy day, and for £600 a month you could be buying a property in Gwent, eating and living in warmth.

Everything else is, frankly, a luxury. So, it's open to definition of what living comfortably is. I reckon you could live a minimal existence for £8000 per year. And, in 25 years, you'd own your own property. If you could get in a lodger, you could feasibly charge £100-£120 a week for rent and you'd be living on less than £4k a year.
    You are effing crazy if you think you can live on £8000 a year. Do you really think you can live on £150 pw? You're mad if you think it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    You are effing crazy if you think you can live on £8000 a year. Do you really think you can live on £150 pw? You're mad if you think it can be done.
    £35 a week mortgage
    £40 a week food
    £12 water
    £20 gas and electric

£107 a week will pay for all that.

£35 a week mortgage
    £40 a week food
    £12 water
    £20 gas and electric

What about Council Tax? House insurance. Travel costs. Furniture. £150 a week, what an exaggeration.

£35 a week mortgage
    £40 a week food
    £12 water
    £20 gas and electric

Surely the average mortgage is around £500 per month, maybe more?
    £200 c tax
    £200 gas and leccy
    Water £40
    Tv bb phone £80
    Insurance etc 100
    Food £4-500

Guess getting mortgage free is the big one, fancy mobiles like do u need one? Gym subs etc, clothes, cars, eating and drinking out, holidays are all luxuries that change per person, some do none some seem to blow it all every month whatever they earn.
    A guy I know, good job, £70k, buys big house in Cyncoed, cars, 2 grand mountain bikes, kids, can't even pay his own tax bill, goes back to daddy fir it....I find this bizarre the need to blow it all....

Water rates £50 a month

Yeah that sounds a great life. Merely existing.

It may have been better if the OP had asked how much disposable income is required for a decent life. After all, those who own their home outright don't have the essential expenditure of servicing a mortgage or paying rent. And what constitutes decent? For a good many it must include at least one holiday each year, while for others' it's no big deal. Few would contend a holiday is a necessity. As one gets older one realises that good health trumps bling of all descriptions.

A mate of mine retired at 60, he owned homes in Wales, Spain and Florida, had a tidy sized yacht and plenty of dosh to keep him comfortable in his retirement. He died last year aged 62.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Yeah that sounds a great life. Merely existing.
    It would still be a good life in comparison to some around the world. Which means that "decent" life is arbitrary.

The question, really, should be "how much do you spend on luxury items that you feel you can't live without?". It's materialism, and every body wants different things.

It would still be a good life in comparison to some around the world. Which means that "decent" life is arbitrary.

The question, really, should be "how much do you spend on luxury items that you feel you can't live without?". It's materialism, and every body wants different things.
    ^^
    Way more succinct than my attempt to say similar.

Wanting a wife and children is not materialistic and on 150 a week that's simply not possible

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Grand a month to cover bills?

I live in Merthyr with a 400 quid a month mortgage and my bills are 1200!!!!
    I know young folk earning 30k to 40k with kids who find it tough, ie no free cash , however there is a new "tough now " , tough now includes having a car maybe two , high end mortgage in a nice area , £30 pounds a month mobile contracts x 2 , subscriptions,must have two holiday a year. ,I'm not critical ,just seems that the new poor have a lot more than I can remember poor having in the late 60's and 70's , interestingly back then buying consumer goods and day day shopping was expensive , as you had no real big supermarkets selling cheaper clothing for the kids , and no access to credit cards ,and benefits and state aid was hard to come by .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I know young folk earning 30k to 40k with kids who find it tough, ie no free cash , however there is a new "tough now " , tough now includes having a car maybe two , high end mortgage in a nice area , £30 pounds a month mobile contracts x 2 , subscriptions,must have two holiday a year. ,I'm not critical ,just seems that the new poor have a lot more than I can remember poor having in the late 60's and 70's , interestingly back then buying consumer goods and day day shopping was expensive , as you had no real big supermarkets selling cheaper clothing for the kids , and no access to credit cards ,and benefits and state aid was hard to come by .
    Very true.

A decent life = the living wage. The real one that is.

An enjoyable but not extravagant live? 25-35k?

big money...

Banned

What is a decent life???

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    What is a decent life???
    I guess there is no such thing......it depends and varies. Some people live off peanuts, some I know work hard then travel fir 5 months every year. I guess I mean the basics covered.....content

I'm sure Maslow's heirarchy of needs has been trotted out on here many times, but maybe it's worth a bump:

Mazlow.jpg

I'm still in my thirties, so it's the top triangle which occupies every waking hour so as to have a 'decent' life. I have a great sense of belongingness being on the fringe of the clique. I should add that we have five dogs.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 30-04-17 at 10:02.