+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roooooney!

Re: Roooooney!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    If they were able to do that, it would mean them going on a 5 game unbeaten run. Their longest unbeaten run this season in the league stands at 2 matches. Also, 11 points from 5 games would be their best of the season.

Some other interesting stats coming up.

Everton haven't beaten Swansea in the last 6 meetings.
    Neither Everton, nor West Brom have lost away to a side currently in the bottom 6.
    Sunderland's away form to teams in the bottom half is abysmal - 7 defeats out of 8 and only 1 goal scored in those 7 games. The game they didn't lose was that extraordinary 4-0 win at Palace. At home against teams in the bottom half, they've only lost 3 of 8, failing to score in only 1 of those.
    Swansea have only kept one clean sheet away from home this season, on the opening day. They haven't kept a clean sheet against a top half side at home all season, but have scored in all bar two of those games.

I reckon Swansea getting 7 points from those games would be pretty extraordinary.
    I just think West Brom and Sunderland have nothing to play for. I was also impressed wth Swansea. They cut open United at will and looked nothing like a relegation side.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I just think West Brom and Sunderland have nothing to play for. I was also impressed wth Swansea. They cut open United at will and looked nothing like a relegation side.
    I think much of that was down to Man Utd, but that's just my opinion. They didn't press or show much enthusiasm for the task.

I've also noticed that Swansea's home win against Southampton was the only time they've beaten a top half side at home.

If you looked at Swansea's last 4 games, it would be quite easy to say defeats to Man Utd and Everton and wins against Sunderland and West Brom. Football doesn't always work like that. It would be just as likely that Swansea pick up something against the odds in those first two games as it is they'd drop points against expectations in the last two. Relegated sides with nothing to play for sometimes play with a freedom they didn't have. Swansea will be hoping this is the case next weekend, as will Hull the weekend after.

I think the order of fixtures is interesting, too. Next weekend, Swansea might be 5 points adrift before they kick off against Everton. That in itself adds pressure to the game. The weekend after, Swansea play first with Hull's game at Palace taking place on the Sunday. There could be a scenario where Hull need to win or they're in the bottom 3 going into the last Sunday of the season, or there could be another scenario where a win sees them safe.

It's a fascinating battle!

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    Pompous prat! Have you tried responding on this website using an iPad? It's torture, trying to fend off the pop-up ads. If you had, you could excuse me the 'e' off 'incapable'. Why don't you mark my posting so we can all see the grammatical and spelling errors?
    No excuses.

An absolutely abysmal post that lowered the quality of this forum.

Danny Mills stating that players will go down in the box as if they don't the play won't be brought back. But if there is contact and you try to carry on but can't a ref should be brave enough to call it back - you haven't had an advantage.

I can't stand this "engineering" penalties lark, especially when it's so readily accepted by pundits. It's gamesmanship at best and cheating at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Danny Mills stating that players will go down in the box as if they don't the play won't be brought back. But if there is contact and you try to carry on but can't a ref should be brave enough to call it back - you haven't had an advantage.

I can't stand this "engineering" penalties lark, especially when it's so readily accepted by pundits. It's gamesmanship at best and cheating at worst.
    Harry Kane admitted he went down because he felt contact. He could have stayed on his feet and probably would have if the challenge was anywhere else on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    No excuses.

An absolutely abysmal post that lowered the quality of this forum.
    image.jpg

A big thing imo that hasn't really been mentioned is that if results go as they should this weekend and Swansea can only manage a draw/loss at home to Everton and Hull beat Sunderland at home, then Swansea go to Sunderland needing to win just to stay up. It might be an easier game on paper but that is some serious pressure. Come on Hull!

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    A big thing imo that hasn't really been mentioned is that if results go as they should this weekend and Swansea can only manage a draw/loss at home to Everton and Hull beat Sunderland at home, then Swansea go to Sunderland needing to win just to stay up. It might be an easier game on paper but that is some serious pressure. Come on Hull!
    It's a difficult scenario to get stats for. In 2014-15, Burnley were 8 points adrift and certain for relegation with 3 games to go. Despite winning the next, they still went down along with QPR. Both teams managed to pick up a win in their last 2 games.

Generally, though, teams that have been relegated from the Premier League don't pick up many, if any, points once relegation has been confirmed.