+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "OK" is racist now

"OK" is racist now

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7709446.html

Two members of alt-right accused of making white supremacist hand signs in White House after receiving press passes

Re: "OK" is racist now

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So despite a lifetime of knowing what that hand gesture actually means, all it took was that one poorly made picture to convince you otherwise?

Here's another one for you:

Oooooo Kaaaayyyyyyyyy...

Bollocks to that.

Deep sea divers use as gesture to others down there that everything okay. Presumably this will have to change to suit the PC brigade's wishes. Crazy.

Next they'll be saying President trump is racist as he uses it in every speech he makes. How absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    A long time ago - I need a sub aqua course - and one of the first things you learn is hand signals.

That sign has always meant - OK. It made it's way into normal 'culture' as an OK type symbol / hand gesture

So because someone somewhere tries to convince others it actually something racist - FFS.

What about thumbs up - is that a sign for something else to
    Yeah, it means I am surfacing doesn't it?

Blue in the Face

OK means average. They are not white supremacists, merely white averagists.

A long time ago - I need a sub aqua course - and one of the first things you learn is hand signals.

That sign has always meant - OK. It made it's way into normal 'culture' as an OK type symbol / hand gesture

So because someone somewhere tries to convince others it actually something racist - FFS.

Apparently, in Roman gladiator times, it meant death. Saw it on QI.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Yeah, it means I am surfacing doesn't it?
    heading to the surface

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    So despite a lifetime of knowing what that hand gesture actually means, all it took was that one poorly made picture to convince you otherwise?

Here's another one for you:

No.

It's a gesture that has been co-opted by the far right as a covert display of racist brotherhood. Just because it's universally acknowledged by most people as meaning "OK", doesn't mean that it's not recognised by a minority as something else. You understand that don't you?

indeed, the first signal you learn on the PADI open water course ( I am a certified PADI Dive instructor )

Isn't it strange how words/symbols can only adopt a negative meaning and once they do you cannot move back to original or onto a further new meaning?

It's an ok sign no matter what they may want it to be. Don't let an alt-right group change the meaning to a negative symbol by giving it possible recognition.

No.

It's a gesture that has been co-opted by the far right as a covert display of racist brotherhood. Just because it's universally acknowledged by most people as meaning "OK", doesn't mean that it's not recognised by a minority as something else. You understand that don't you?

what is even more absurd is you are trying to justify it,

What does this sign mean?

http://www.crystalinks.com/swastika_bw.jpg

For about over 10,000 years prior to the last century it meant something else. So it can't be racist?

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

what is even more absurd is you are trying to justify it,
    Justify? Justify what?

Justify? Justify what?
    you know full well what i mean

No, I don't. Or I wouldn't ask.

Do you mean that I believe that it can be used by racist groups to mean something other than OK?

I do because it is.

Do you mean that I think everyone that uses the sign is now making a racist gesture? I do not.

Do you mean that I support its use as such? I do not.

No, I don't. Or I wouldn't ask.

Do you mean that I believe that it can be used by racist groups to mean something other than OK?

I do because it is.

Do you mean that I think everyone that uses the sign is now making a racist gesture? I do not.

Do you mean that I support its use as such? I do not.
    when CC posted "OK" is racist now "
    you replied " Yes. It is. "

Until Michael Jackson released the Bad album, bad meant bad. Also, my son now tells me that 'sick' doesn't mean sick anymore - sick means bad, which is now good.

I've noticed that many people now say "okey cokey" when they mean "okay", a mash up of "Hokey Cokey" and "okay". Is this racist too or will I offend someone if I say "okey cokey"?

OK.

Reported.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Until Michael Jackson released the Bad album, bad meant bad. Also, my son now tells me that 'sick' doesn't mean sick anymore - sick means bad, which is now good.

The thing is, this nonsense was made up by the weirdo trolls over on the 4chan messageboard to see if they could hook any gullible media outlets into printing it as fact. Yet another success for them then.

It is suddenly all falling in to place.

Alan Shearer long term ISIS plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    The thing is, this nonsense was made up by the weirdo trolls over on the 4chan messageboard to see if they could hook any gullible media outlets into printing it as fact. Yet another success for them then.
    They're getting pretty good at that.

Didn't they get gullible American women to piss their pants in support of rape victims once?