+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

  1. #1

    Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Scored Bolton's third today as they won promotion. Was a regular scorer at Reading.

    Was shit for us?

  2. #2

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    As soon as he signed for us he was played out of position. Hes a centre forward and Slade continuously played him wide right. As a result the fans turned against him, expecting him to score goals from an unfamiliar position.

    We never exploited his best qualities.

  3. #3

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?


    I thought he did OK

  4. #4

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Because he wasn't good enough

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cardifonia
    Posts
    2,340

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    As soon as he signed for us he was played out of position. Hes a centre forward and Slade continuously played him wide right. As a result the fans turned against him, expecting him to score goals from an unfamiliar position.

    We never exploited his best qualities.
    How the hell he managed to get us within a whisker of the play-offs is baffling.

  6. #6

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    He didn't do well anywhere , if you look at his goals to appearances he's scored 21 goals since leaving Reading in 2014, he was an in and out player for Reading coming on as a sub to score, to be fair he was a worker but seemed to run wide a lot,when we needed him in the box, another genuis overpaid OGS signing.

  7. #7

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    because he was and is shit

  8. #8

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    How the hell he managed to get us within a whisker of the play-offs is baffling.
    Whisker

  9. #9

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    As soon as he signed for us he was played out of position. Hes a centre forward and Slade continuously played him wide right. As a result the fans turned against him, expecting him to score goals from an unfamiliar position.

    We never exploited his best qualities.
    It was Ole who played him wide right to be fair.

    Slade gave him a go centre forward but his rigid hoofball tactics were never designed to get the best out of a small diminutive striker.

  10. #10

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    How the hell he managed to get us within a whisker of the play-offs is baffling.
    It's baffling that you think we were "within a whisker of the play-offs". We were in the the top 6 a few times before Christmas and never looked like getting back afterwards. I'll grant you, it was a mathematical possibility until fairly late on, but it never looked likely.

  11. #11

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    It's baffling that you think we were "within a whisker of the play-offs". We were in the the top 6 a few times before Christmas and never looked like getting back afterwards. I'll grant you, it was a mathematical possibility until fairly late on, but it never looked likely.
    Taking away the early weeks of the season, we were in the top 6 after 1 game in December. The closest we got was 2 points adrift after 39 games, before a run of 2 points out of 12 saw us 6 points off the pace with 3 games to go. No chance of getting that back.

    In 2007/08 (cup final season) we were 5 points adrift with 4 games to play (the others around us had only 3 to play). We finished 6 points off the playoffs that season, too. I can't recall many suggesting we were a whisker from reaching the playoffs that season, either.

  12. #12

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    How the hell he managed to get us within a whisker of the play-offs is baffling.
    Absolutely spot on . The guy is an utter buffoon .
    Where is he managing now ?

  13. #13
    International Vimana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    way out west
    Posts
    12,201

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    How the hell he managed to get us within a whisker of the play-offs is baffling.
    It is.
    At last you agree.

    Fair play it's taken you some time.

  14. #14
    International Vimana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    way out west
    Posts
    12,201

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Back to ALF,

    I think its fairly obvious some players thrive on confidence, and in an alien or even slightly hostile environment, its easy to lose confidence and finesse - rapidly.
    It's happened to some of the biggest names.

    I'm not sure it started well for ALF, and didn't get much better very quickly.

    I've heard it suggested that 'players are paid enough , they should perform', but it's not that simple. Never has been - in any field.
    That said, they are paid enough to always try their hardest though.

  15. #15

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    As soon as he signed for us he was played out of position. Hes a centre forward and Slade continuously played him wide right. As a result the fans turned against him, expecting him to score goals from an unfamiliar position.

    We never exploited his best qualities.
    Spot on. ALF is well regarded at Reading. He was a goal scorer. A jack in the box. Thats it. Playing him wide right was totally the wrong position for him.

  16. #16

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Lack of pace in midfield, lack of mobility when he had a striking partner, lack of creativity outside of corners and free-kicks so ALF was asked to be all things and then score.

  17. #17

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Over Splott and Tremorfa Parks, we used to call this type of lazy barsteward a "GOAL HANGER", no more, no less, that's all he is.

  18. #18

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Spot on. ALF is well regarded at Reading. He was a goal scorer. A jack in the box. Thats it. Playing him wide right was totally the wrong position for him.
    ?

  19. #19

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Taking away the early weeks of the season, we were in the top 6 after 1 game in December. The closest we got was 2 points adrift after 39 games, before a run of 2 points out of 12 saw us 6 points off the pace with 3 games to go. No chance of getting that back.

    In 2007/08 (cup final season) we were 5 points adrift with 4 games to play (the others around us had only 3 to play). We finished 6 points off the playoffs that season, too. I can't recall many suggesting we were a whisker from reaching the playoffs that season, either.

  20. #20

    Re: Why didn't Le Fondre do well at Cardiff?

    Luis Suarez would have struggled to score goals with our Russ's footballing philosophy.

    ALF. Lazy very average player who, like many of his ilk, living on his past rep and pickng up a nice little wage wherever he goes.
    He is a 'have boots will travel' type player which, in itself, is more admirable than bench warming.

    In a strong team, dominating games and creating chances, he will score you a few goals. When he played with us, we certainly weren't that.

    He might well be able to play under NW and forge a partnership with big Ken, and I'm sure Neil could bring the best out of him but personally, I would prefer to see a fresh face brought in to compete with our promising youngsters (Healey, Kennedy and Mark Harris)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •