+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 45

Thread: Outstanding Contribution

  1. #1

    Outstanding Contribution

    Peter Whittingham

  2. #2

    Re: Outstanding Contribution


  3. #3

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    to me up there with phil dwyer

    a legend to cardiff city

  4. #4
    International Colonel Cærdiffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Land of North
    Posts
    26,763
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Absolute legend. Been crushing it for a decade, I really hope he stays but it really looks like we're seeing the end of an era.

    Good luck wherever you go, Whitts

  5. #5

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Stay Whitts.

  6. #6

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    to me up there with phil dwyer

    a legend to cardiff city
    Agree that Whitts has become a legend at CCFC but for those who are too young to remember Dwyer, two completely different players there mind. Phil "Joe" Dwyer was no expert when it came to accurate passing or goals from free kicks but he was absolutely fearless when it came to defending/tackling, not characteristics you associate with Whittingham!

  7. #7

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    He'll do what he fancies.

  8. #8

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Thank you Whitts, and, presumably (unfortunately) goodbye and good luck.

  9. #9

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    I hope he stays but if he doesn't then am already looking forward to the autobiography.

  10. #10

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I hope he stays but if he doesn't then am already looking forward to the autobiography.
    "In the next round we faced Premier League side Middlesbrough, I received the ball in the box, turned and swiveled past 5 men and shot into the far corner to score. I allowed myself a little smile for that one."

  11. #11

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    I'll be gutted if he leaves. He's still more than good enough for this division. Even if he's rotated more, he'll win us points over the season. Legend..

  12. #12

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Agree that Whitts has become a legend at CCFC but for those who are too young to remember Dwyer, two completely different players there mind. Phil "Joe" Dwyer was no expert when it came to accurate passing or goals from free kicks but he was absolutely fearless when it came to defending/tackling, not characteristics you associate with Whittingham!
    Massive Dwyer fan but sadly he could not do a tenth on the pitch that Whitts could and would struggle in today's game

  13. #13

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I'll be gutted if he leaves. He's still more than good enough for this division. Even if he's rotated more, he'll win us points over the season. Legend..
    Anyone can take a corner. Apparently.

  14. #14

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Everyone has his sell by date and if players expectations don't match managers offer then there has to be a parting of the ways,if l were Whitts and Bristol City come knocking then it's a no brainer especially as the bridge tolls are due to reduce in the future and as for lining up against us at least if he were to score you know he wouldn't celebrate,a badge kisser he certainly is not

  15. #15

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    And I suppose anyone can score this many good goals

    https://youtu.be/KIViASn5zjA

  16. #16

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    And I suppose anyone can score this many good goals

    https://youtu.be/KIViASn5zjA
    Goals? Pah! They are overrated.

    Energy and tackling seems to be more important than goals and passing to a lot of Cardiff fans these days.

  17. #17
    International Colonel Cærdiffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Land of North
    Posts
    26,763
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    And I suppose anyone can score this many good goals

    https://youtu.be/KIViASn5zjA
    Some terrific goals in there. Scored with his head more than I remember too

  18. #18
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    28,301
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Absolute legend. Been crushing it for a decade, I really hope he stays but it really looks like we're seeing the end of an era.
    This ^^

    All the best Whitts, you will always have a 'licence to thrill' me.

  19. #19
    International Vimana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    way out west
    Posts
    12,202

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    "In the next round we faced Premier League side Middlesbrough, I received the ball in the box, turned and swiveled past 5 men and shot into the far corner to score. I allowed myself a little smile for that one."


    Whitts

  20. #20

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Offer him a job for life at our club. No doubt he will shoot off somewhere else for a few seasons, but insist he comes back in a coaching roll. What he don't know about our club, ain't worth mentioning. Any youngster coming through, won't find a better roll model than him, the way he conducts himself and everything is spot on, and that's rare in football these days. Hes Cardiff through and through. He could be hanging around outside the shops on grand avenue ely, drinking strongbow, with a staffy, and you wouldn't no the difference from someone who was born here. That's how Cardiff witts is.

  21. #21

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Some terrific goals in there. Scored with his head more than I remember too
    Indeed. He's a club legend. The only shame with that video is that those moments of genius that we got used to have been few and far between in recent seasons. I wonder why that is?

  22. #22

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    "In the next round we faced Premier League side Middlesbrough, I received the ball in the box, turned and swiveled past 5 men and shot into the far corner to score. I allowed myself a little smile for that one."
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=simDhhSmM2Q

  23. #23

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Indeed. He's a club legend. The only shame with that video is that those moments of genius that we got used to have been few and far between in recent seasons. I wonder why that is?
    Change of position?
    Ball flying over his head?

  24. #24

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Indeed. He's a club legend. The only shame with that video is that those moments of genius that we got used to have been few and far between in recent seasons. I wonder why that is?
    Whitts is a playmaker and when he was as at his best , he had quality strikers infront of him to feed balls to , sadly lately he has had poor strikers infront not making intelligent runs or him to be as creative. Also didn't help that he was played too deep and was less effective last few seasons until Warnock was manager

  25. #25
    International Colonel Cærdiffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Land of North
    Posts
    26,763
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Indeed. He's a club legend. The only shame with that video is that those moments of genius that we got used to have been few and far between in recent seasons. I wonder why that is?
    cos of all the ads on this site I reckon.

  26. #26

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    And I suppose anyone can score this many good goals

    https://youtu.be/KIViASn5zjA
    Superb.
    As has been said many times, City legend

  27. #27

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Obviously the goal I was referring to and one of my all time city goals. Peter has been a pleasure to watch and I hope he's here next year.

  28. #28

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Change of position?
    Ball flying over his head?
    First one, yes. Second one, no.

    Just my opinion, but we saw the best of Whittingham when Dave Jones was manager. Whitts was a bit of a marmite figure during his first couple of seasons with us - undoubtedly talented but lazy, for every good game there'd be a long spell of nothing. He was in the side more than out, but hardly the first name on the sheet.

    Jones put him on penalty duties one season and it reaped dividends. Suddenly Whitts was hungry for putting the ball in the net. The brilliant goals kept coming. He was one of the best free kick takers anywhere. Jones played him out on the left usually, occasionally on the right, but gave Whitts a free role.

    When Malky took over, he wanted to make Whittingham a more all round midfielder - he wouldn't accept players not putting in a shift. I recall a tale Malky once said that he showed a video of some tackle that Whitts had made to him time and time again.

    Getting a more defensive game out of Whittingham, and trying to make him a playmaker was, for me, a mistake. His first season under Malky was excellent, but during the season we won promotion, he was eventually "rested" due to poor form, probably a month or more later than many City fans wanted.

    Whittingham's form in the Premier League matched the club's. In truth, he's never got back to those great days, mainly because he's been asked to play a different game from the one Jones wanted. I have issues with Jones' management, but he got Whittingham playing at his very best. It's worth remembering that Jones was sacked almost 6 years ago. The moments of Whittingham brilliance we've seen since then have been few in comparison with his form under Jones.

    So yes, a different role is to blame in some way. Hunger might be another - he's famously lazy (I remember years ago one City player suggesting Whittingham would never leave the club because it would mean him having to move and set up his gaming machine). Balls over his head? Nah. We saw plenty of that under Dave Jones, when he thrived.

  29. #29

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    First one, yes. Second one, no.

    Just my opinion, but we saw the best of Whittingham when Dave Jones was manager. Whitts was a bit of a marmite figure during his first couple of seasons with us - undoubtedly talented but lazy, for every good game there'd be a long spell of nothing. He was in the side more than out, but hardly the first name on the sheet.

    Jones put him on penalty duties one season and it reaped dividends. Suddenly Whitts was hungry for putting the ball in the net. The brilliant goals kept coming. He was one of the best free kick takers anywhere. Jones played him out on the left usually, occasionally on the right, but gave Whitts a free role.

    When Malky took over, he wanted to make Whittingham a more all round midfielder - he wouldn't accept players not putting in a shift. I recall a tale Malky once said that he showed a video of some tackle that Whitts had made to him time and time again.

    Getting a more defensive game out of Whittingham, and trying to make him a playmaker was, for me, a mistake. His first season under Malky was excellent, but during the season we won promotion, he was eventually "rested" due to poor form, probably a month or more later than many City fans wanted.

    Whittingham's form in the Premier League matched the club's. In truth, he's never got back to those great days, mainly because he's been asked to play a different game from the one Jones wanted. I have issues with Jones' management, but he got Whittingham playing at his very best. It's worth remembering that Jones was sacked almost 6 years ago. The moments of Whittingham brilliance we've seen since then have been few in comparison with his form under Jones.

    So yes, a different role is to blame in some way. Hunger might be another - he's famously lazy (I remember years ago one City player suggesting Whittingham would never leave the club because it would mean him having to move and set up his gaming machine). Balls over his head? Nah. We saw plenty of that under Dave Jones, when he thrived.
    Tap post.

  30. #30

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Where does he go in terms of all time club legends? Top 5? Top 3? For his achievements in the 10 years, his length of service and commitment to the club when others have come knocking - for me he's up there with our greatest players ever.

  31. #31

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    Where does he go in terms of all time club legends? Top 5? Top 3? For his achievements in the 10 years, his length of service and commitment to the club when others have come knocking - for me he's up there with our greatest players ever.
    In the 25 years I've been watching, I think only Earnshaw can challenge him.

  32. #32

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    "As we pull out of the services, Whitts is showing off a bag full of assorted cassettes he swiped from the shop. You never know what you’re going to get with Whitts, sometimes it’s Country, sometimes it’s Trance. But that’s what we all love about him, you never know what you’re going to get."
    http://markkennedysdiary.blogspot.co.uk/

  33. #33

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    In the 25 years I've been watching, I think only Earnshaw can challenge him.
    Is that the same Earnshaw that couldn't wait to pi$$ off and join big old West Brom ?!

  34. #34

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Is that the same Earnshaw that couldn't wait to pi$$ off and join big old West Brom ?!
    Hardly fair to boil his City career down to that. I didn't blame him for wanting to try the Premier League.

  35. #35

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Is that the same Earnshaw that couldn't wait to pi$$ off and join big old West Brom ?!
    Bloody hell tit, Earnshaw is a club legend and is city through and through. You may have a short money but we had a little bit of financial trouble at the time!
    The following season we had to sell Collins, Gabbidon, Kav, McAnuff and I'm sure there's more. Peter Thorne was gone by that time as well. We were signing players for tiny fees or for free, totally clear to me and others that we didnt have much of a pot to piss in. Collins, Gabbidon and Kavanagh never even wanted to leave, the club just accepted fees for them. If Earnshaw didn't go the previous season, he would have certainly gone the next season in an exodus with all of the above.

  36. #36

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Is that the same Earnshaw that couldn't wait to pi$$ off and join big old West Brom ?!
    You are a complete idiot

  37. #37

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Is that the same Earnshaw that couldn't wait to pi$$ off and join big old West Brom ?!
    Uh oh!
    What have you said Ton?
    I guess you are just fishing there as it's gone a bit quiet on here
    That or your marbles are going

  38. #38

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Uh oh!
    What have you said Ton?
    I guess you are just fishing there as it's gone a bit quiet on here
    That or your marbles are going
    I expect he'll trying playing the 'you lot are so easy to wind up ' card, but will anyone buy it?

  39. #39

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Really needs to be sorted and still praying it will be, though am doubtful.

    With the suggestion that we are going to be more attacking next season and have a good go at finishing top 6, then having Whitts in the squad is a must surely. He thrives on attacking football and having more attacking options would surely give him the opportunity to do what he does best.

    He's not going to play every week and there will be games when we want to try and be more energetic in the middle of the park, but there are games where he could really be vital to us. There are very few central midfielders in the championship who could offer what he does, certainly not at a much higher cost.

    The guy has had numerous opportunities to go elsewhere and has stuck by us through thick and thing. Yes, he's earned a lot of money doing so, but he could easily have earned more money by moving to West Ham or WBA, by pushing for a move when their offers were on the table.

    Loyalty in football is pretty much dead, Whitts is one of the exceptions and every effort should be made to repay his loyalty to us.

  40. #40

    Re: Outstanding Contribution

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Uh oh!
    What have you said Ton?
    I guess you are just fishing there as it's gone a bit quiet on here
    That or your marbles are going



    I've had a "yellow card", for picking on bhad grammur, sow eye gotta hav mi funn sumhow.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •