Re: Outstanding Contribution

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    And I suppose anyone can score this many good goals

https://youtu.be/KIViASn5zjA
    Superb.
    As has been said many times, City legend

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Obviously the goal I was referring to and one of my all time city goals. Peter has been a pleasure to watch and I hope he's here next year.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Change of position?
    Ball flying over his head?
    First one, yes. Second one, no.

Just my opinion, but we saw the best of Whittingham when Dave Jones was manager. Whitts was a bit of a marmite figure during his first couple of seasons with us - undoubtedly talented but lazy, for every good game there'd be a long spell of nothing. He was in the side more than out, but hardly the first name on the sheet.

Jones put him on penalty duties one season and it reaped dividends. Suddenly Whitts was hungry for putting the ball in the net. The brilliant goals kept coming. He was one of the best free kick takers anywhere. Jones played him out on the left usually, occasionally on the right, but gave Whitts a free role.

When Malky took over, he wanted to make Whittingham a more all round midfielder - he wouldn't accept players not putting in a shift. I recall a tale Malky once said that he showed a video of some tackle that Whitts had made to him time and time again.

Getting a more defensive game out of Whittingham, and trying to make him a playmaker was, for me, a mistake. His first season under Malky was excellent, but during the season we won promotion, he was eventually "rested" due to poor form, probably a month or more later than many City fans wanted.

Whittingham's form in the Premier League matched the club's. In truth, he's never got back to those great days, mainly because he's been asked to play a different game from the one Jones wanted. I have issues with Jones' management, but he got Whittingham playing at his very best. It's worth remembering that Jones was sacked almost 6 years ago. The moments of Whittingham brilliance we've seen since then have been few in comparison with his form under Jones.

So yes, a different role is to blame in some way. Hunger might be another - he's famously lazy (I remember years ago one City player suggesting Whittingham would never leave the club because it would mean him having to move and set up his gaming machine). Balls over his head? Nah. We saw plenty of that under Dave Jones, when he thrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    First one, yes. Second one, no.

Just my opinion, but we saw the best of Whittingham when Dave Jones was manager. Whitts was a bit of a marmite figure during his first couple of seasons with us - undoubtedly talented but lazy, for every good game there'd be a long spell of nothing. He was in the side more than out, but hardly the first name on the sheet.

Jones put him on penalty duties one season and it reaped dividends. Suddenly Whitts was hungry for putting the ball in the net. The brilliant goals kept coming. He was one of the best free kick takers anywhere. Jones played him out on the left usually, occasionally on the right, but gave Whitts a free role.

When Malky took over, he wanted to make Whittingham a more all round midfielder - he wouldn't accept players not putting in a shift. I recall a tale Malky once said that he showed a video of some tackle that Whitts had made to him time and time again.

Getting a more defensive game out of Whittingham, and trying to make him a playmaker was, for me, a mistake. His first season under Malky was excellent, but during the season we won promotion, he was eventually "rested" due to poor form, probably a month or more later than many City fans wanted.

Whittingham's form in the Premier League matched the club's. In truth, he's never got back to those great days, mainly because he's been asked to play a different game from the one Jones wanted. I have issues with Jones' management, but he got Whittingham playing at his very best. It's worth remembering that Jones was sacked almost 6 years ago. The moments of Whittingham brilliance we've seen since then have been few in comparison with his form under Jones.

So yes, a different role is to blame in some way. Hunger might be another - he's famously lazy (I remember years ago one City player suggesting Whittingham would never leave the club because it would mean him having to move and set up his gaming machine). Balls over his head? Nah. We saw plenty of that under Dave Jones, when he thrived.
    Tap post.

Where does he go in terms of all time club legends? Top 5? Top 3? For his achievements in the 10 years, his length of service and commitment to the club when others have come knocking - for me he's up there with our greatest players ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    Where does he go in terms of all time club legends? Top 5? Top 3? For his achievements in the 10 years, his length of service and commitment to the club when others have come knocking - for me he's up there with our greatest players ever.
    In the 25 years I've been watching, I think only Earnshaw can challenge him.

"As we pull out of the services, Whitts is showing off a bag full of assorted cassettes he swiped from the shop. You never know what you’re going to get with Whitts, sometimes it’s Country, sometimes it’s Trance. But that’s what we all love about him, you never know what you’re going to get."
    http://markkennedysdiary.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    In the 25 years I've been watching, I think only Earnshaw can challenge him.
    Is that the same Earnshaw that couldn't wait to pi$$ off and join big old West Brom ?!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Is that the same Earnshaw that couldn't wait to pi$$ off and join big old West Brom ?!
    Hardly fair to boil his City career down to that. I didn't blame him for wanting to try the Premier League.

Bloody hell tit, Earnshaw is a club legend and is city through and through. You may have a short money but we had a little bit of financial trouble at the time!
    The following season we had to sell Collins, Gabbidon, Kav, McAnuff and I'm sure there's more. Peter Thorne was gone by that time as well. We were signing players for tiny fees or for free, totally clear to me and others that we didnt have much of a pot to piss in. Collins, Gabbidon and Kavanagh never even wanted to leave, the club just accepted fees for them. If Earnshaw didn't go the previous season, he would have certainly gone the next season in an exodus with all of the above.

You are a complete idiot

Uh oh!
    What have you said Ton?
    I guess you are just fishing there as it's gone a bit quiet on here
    That or your marbles are going

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Uh oh!
    What have you said Ton?
    I expect he'll trying playing the 'you lot are so easy to wind up ' card, but will anyone buy it?

Really needs to be sorted and still praying it will be, though am doubtful.

With the suggestion that we are going to be more attacking next season and have a good go at finishing top 6, then having Whitts in the squad is a must surely. He thrives on attacking football and having more attacking options would surely give him the opportunity to do what he does best.

He's not going to play every week and there will be games when we want to try and be more energetic in the middle of the park, but there are games where he could really be vital to us. There are very few central midfielders in the championship who could offer what he does, certainly not at a much higher cost.

The guy has had numerous opportunities to go elsewhere and has stuck by us through thick and thing. Yes, he's earned a lot of money doing so, but he could easily have earned more money by moving to West Ham or WBA, by pushing for a move when their offers were on the table.

Loyalty in football is pretty much dead, Whitts is one of the exceptions and every effort should be made to repay his loyalty to us.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Uh oh!
    What have you said Ton?

I've had a "yellow card", for picking on bhad grammur, sow eye gotta hav mi funn sumhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
    "As we pull out of the services, Whitts is showing off a bag full of assorted cassettes he swiped from the shop. You never know what you’re going to get with Whitts, sometimes it’s Country, sometimes it’s Trance. But that’s what we all love about him, you never know what you’re going to get."
    http://markkennedysdiary.blogspot.co.uk/
    I stiil laugh out loud at this diary. Whoever wrote it is a genius. I know MM knows. Can he, or someone else put me out of my misery?

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    Really needs to be sorted and still praying it will be, though am doubtful.

With the suggestion that we are going to be more attacking next season and have a good go at finishing top 6, then having Whitts in the squad is a must surely. He thrives on attacking football and having more attacking options would surely give him the opportunity to do what he does best.

He's not going to play every week and there will be games when we want to try and be more energetic in the middle of the park, but there are games where he could really be vital to us. There are very few central midfielders in the championship who could offer what he does, certainly not at a much higher cost.

The guy has had numerous opportunities to go elsewhere and has stuck by us through thick and thing. Yes, he's earned a lot of money doing so, but he could easily have earned more money by moving to West Ham or WBA, by pushing for a move when their offers were on the table.

Loyalty in football is pretty much dead, Whitts is one of the exceptions and every effort should be made to repay his loyalty to us.
    I really hope he stays, still has plenty to contribute. My mate was taking to him at the awards do the other night and he says he wants to stay but hasn't yet been offered a deal. Presumably that will come in the next week or two.
    One thing I hope is that the club do a better job of sorting out a testimonial than they did with Super Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I really hope he stays, still has plenty to contribute. My mate was taking to him at the awards do the other night and he says he wants to stay but hasn't yet been offered a deal. Presumably that will come in the next week or two.
    One thing I hope is that the club do a better job of sorting out a testimonial than they did with Super Kev.

I also hope that he stays although it does need to be on sensible money.

Not sure if your mate got the wrong end of the stick or someone is fibbing as Warnock has been very clear in saying that Whitts has been offered a new deal:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...ngham-12550560

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    I also hope that he stays although it does need to be on sensible money.

Not sure if your mate got the wrong end of the stick or someone is fibbing as Warnock has been very clear in saying that Whitts has been offered a new deal:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...ngham-12550560
    That was 3 months ago and it has since been taken off the table

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That was 3 months ago and it has since been taken off the table
    Also this -

The fan favourite – of whom supporters chant 'He scores when he wants'

So we've all been singing it wrong for years.