+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Should simulation recieve more than a yellow card

Should simulation recieve more than a yellow card

As much as I hate the jacks I couldn't stand Rashford diving. For instances where it's clear afterwards that player cheated, should they be punished? Possibly not a ban as that only sees to favour the opposition the week after and not the team the player cheated against.

This only Strengthens the case for video refs which in my opinion will kill the game as we know it.

Re: Should simulation recieve more than a yellow card

5 game ban

Video ref and straight red if the player has dived. Then a 3 game ban.

Same punishment for players who scream and swear at the refs, it'll soon stop.

I think the problem is that there are surprisingly few clear cut cases like this. Most fall* into the category of a player making a meal and they will be the hard ones to call, especially on the spot*.

*Excuse the puns

There should be retro active punishments for anything the ref misses. Every EPL game should be reviewed by a a panel and all offences missed or mistaken by the referee should be taken into account. It would soon stop the cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

So you wanna get rid of the PASHUN?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

The above.

Also for cynical "professional, take one for the lads" type fouls - yellow card plus immediate 15 minute sin-binning.

It's not good enough to say "another case for technology" and that be the end of it. Ultimately, the technology would just be policing the players more effectively but these grown men shouldn't need policing and therefore we need a wider re-education programme too.

Questions to answer:
    1. Who is teaching these kids to seek out contact even if there would be none naturally? Is it the same managers who would be so verbally critical of opposition players for doing the same? If yes then managers and coaches need to up their ideas.
    2. Why are ex-pros so accepting of it? The majority of pundits are former players but apart from making the case for technology or arguing that refs wouldn't give a decision if the player didn't go down, what are they doing to stop these kids from cheating?
    3. Is there too much of a disconnect between officials and players? In rugby you hear an ex-front rower talk about all the gamesmanship that goes on in the scrum and ruck and points out where the players have been able to fool the ref. Do officials in football have enough of an understanding about what an attacker would want and what a defender would do?
    4. Are fans so concerned with winning that they will still ask for Rashford's autograph next week?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It's not good enough to say "another case for technology" and that be the end of it. Ultimately, the technology would just be policing the players more effectively but these grown men shouldn't need policing and therefore we need a wider re-education programme too.

Questions to answer:
    1. Who is teaching these kids to seek out contact even if there would be none naturally? Is it the same managers who would be so verbally critical of opposition players for doing the same? If yes then managers and coaches need to up their ideas.
    2. Why are ex-pros so accepting of it? The majority of pundits are former players but apart from making the case for technology or arguing that refs wouldn't give a decision if the player didn't go down, what are they doing to stop these kids from cheating?
    3. Is there too much of a disconnect between officials and players? In rugby you hear an ex-front rower talk about all the gamesmanship that goes on in the scrum and ruck and points out where the players have been able to fool the ref. Do officials in football have enough of an understanding about what an attacker would want and what a defender would do?
    4. Are fans so concerned with winning that they will still ask for Rashford's autograph next week?
    Good post. I really don't think it's as simple as 'it would disappear overnight'.

I've long thought that training sessions include how to fall convincingly, because so many players go down in such a similar fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Questions to answer:
    Decent thought provoking post.
    Points 1 and 2, it is a case of evolution. Not that long ago, we would all be up in arms (usually on European cup nights) over blatant diving but soon realised if British teams want to compete at the highest levels then a lot more "kidology" was required.
    Most of the pundits given air time these days are the "new" breed and unfortunately, this kidology
    (aka cheating) is part and parcel of the modern game.
    Point 3 I believe that refs do know what a striker is trying to do but it is seen (and i don't have a problem with it) as a skill to coax the defender into making a rash challenge.
    Nothing new here I might add, it's just that the modern day striker has 'nurtured the skill.
    I do think though that if he is caught diving, credit should be given to the defender for his part.

If proven that the striker was simulating then retrospective action should be taken, a ban of some sort.

The authorities will be reluctant to approve this however, they still need some "grey areas" for the BIG teams to succeed but hopefully the new "non-corrupt" FIFA and EUAFA will force this through.

Diving has always been part of the game:

1970s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaGLlHmYqOY

I remember watching this one on telly, from the early 90s: http://sabotagetimes.com/football/th...ds-united-1992 (although I remember it being Gordon Durie and not Gordon Watson)

It's probably one thing that rugby has over football. They have a panel that looks at this kind of skullduggery. And dish out hash bans. Diving and faining injury, waving imaginary cards etc, has become embarrassing. Football needs a panel that looks at this sort of thing. Dish out a few severe bans, and it will soon stop

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    There should be retro active punishments for anything the ref misses. Every EPL game should be reviewed by a a panel and all offences missed or mistaken by the referee should be taken into account. It would soon stop the cheating.

Those thinking it can't change over night are talking bollocks. If the punishments included 3 game bans it would stop.

FA set to introduce retrospective bans for diving from next season, two game bans perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    It's probably one thing that rugby has over football. They have a panel that looks at this kind of skullduggery. And dish out hash bans. Diving and faining injury, waving imaginary cards etc, has become embarrassing. Football needs a panel that looks at this sort of thing. Dish out a few severe bans, and it will soon stop
    It's starting to creep into international rugby now. Just watch Rhys Webb as an example.

Its impossible to prove and is one of those subjects where opinions can greatly differ. Its not like a ball crossing the goaline where technology can prove 100% one way or another.

If anyone watched the Madrid game last night, Aspas got given a 2nd yellow for diving and got sent off, when the replay clearly showed Ramos had caught him. Yes Aspas exagerated the fall but hed clearly been caught.

Aspas had been in the refs year all night, got his first yellow for appealing another stonewall handball that didnt get given and I think the ref just wanted him off the pitch.

Also, I dont believe in retrospective bans for cases that go unpunished in a game (ie Rashford) as only ones to benefit from that are the future teams played and not the team that got "cheated".

Lets say Swansea lost that game, then United were playing a relegation rival in the next game, and Rashford was banned for that game. Where is the fairness in that?
    Last edited by J R Hartley; 18-05-17 at 12:22.