+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Let's be controversial on a quiet Saturday evening. Leon Britton anyone....?

Let's be controversial on a quiet Saturday evening. Leon Britton anyone....?

The type of player Cardiff should be on the lookout for. So says the 4th Official whoever that is in a weblog today:-

"Swansea City’s veteran midfielder Leon Britton is edging closer to the concluding stages of his playing days and has fierce competition for a place in the starting line-up under Paul Clement’s regime. The Bluebirds should be keen to add a dynamic and combative midfielder like Britton who has plenty of experience of English football and who could help them in their push for a promotion next season".

I don't think many would disagree with the analysis that that is, indeed, the type of player we need to patrol the midfield in the next campaign especially if PW is to be moved on. You'd ideally want someone more youth and the likelihood of getting into double figures on the credit side if the scoresheet, but anyone in that category will come with a sizable price tag unless the manager can persuade a Chelsea or Man City to loan us one of their upcoming megastars for the season as I've urged on here recently.

I don't know what wages Britton would need but I'm sure there wouldn't be a fee involved and you can't argue with the suggestion that he's bags of experience, still has something left in the tank and given a fair chance by the Bluebirds' faithful could be an extremely valuable contributor in a team with an eye on promotion. He certainly knows what it's all about.

Question is would Cardiff fans give him a chance? Leggy, Curtis and others were able to make successful moves down the M4.

Views, please?

Re: Let's be controversial on a quiet Saturday evening. Leon Britton anyone....?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    The type of player Cardiff should be on the lookout for. So says the 4th Official whoever that is in a weblog today:-

"Swansea City’s veteran midfielder Leon Britton is edging closer to the concluding stages of his playing days and has fierce competition for a place in the starting line-up under Paul Clement’s regime. The Bluebirds should be keen to add a dynamic and combative midfielder like Britton who has plenty of experience of English football and who could help them in their push for a promotion next season".

I don't think many would disagree with the analysis that that is, indeed, the type of player we need to patrol the midfield in the next campaign especially if PW is to be moved on. You'd ideally want someone more youth and the likelihood of getting into double figures on the credit side if the scoresheet, but anyone in that category will come with a sizable price tag unless the manager can persuade a Chelsea or Man City to loan us one of their upcoming megastars for the season as I've urged on here recently.

I don't know what wages Britton would need but I'm sure there wouldn't be a fee involved and you can't argue with the suggestion that he's bags of experience, still has something left in the tank and given a fair chance by the Bluebirds' faithful could be an extremely valuable contributor in a team with an eye on promotion. He certainly knows what it's all about.

Question is would Cardiff fans give him a chance? Leggy, Curtis and others were able to make successful moves down the M4.

Views, please?
    FCUK FOF.

Re: Let's be controversial on a quiet Saturday evening. Leon Britton anyone....?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    FCUK FOF.

Why sign an ageing midfield player who can't score goals, while at the same time getting rid of an ageing midfield legend who has scored 98 goals?

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Why sign an ageing midfield player who can't score goals, while at the same time getting rid of an ageing midfield legend who has scored 98 goals?
    Britton has one obvious flaw in his background which would make a move a big challenge. In addition he's 35 in September, has only played 3 full games this season & his last move away from Swansea was far from successful - some players are suited to certain clubs & I believe that Britton is one of these.

No thank you, not that he would want to play for us is any event.

He will be a first team regular for them next season though

No thanks.
    Someone mentioned Tom Huddlestone on Friday night.

NOW you are talking 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post

Views, please?

Laughable

Also why would he come to Cardiff and help us in the Championship when he can stay with the Jacks and help them in the Championship.

No ****ing way

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    No thanks.
    Someone mentioned Tom Huddlestone on Friday night.

NOW you are talking 👍
    Now that would suit .

Ledley?

1. He's a ****ing Tory, Sludge would have a cardiac.
    2. He's an alleged kiddie fiddler, not great publicity for the club.
    3. Isn't he dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    3. Isn't he dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    3. Isn't he dead?

Ledley's a good shout

What more does Britton offer than Whitts?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Ledley's a good shout

What more does Britton offer than Whitts?
    Britton is more mobile but no. Just no. He'd never come here either and the fans wouldn't take to him.

If we're going for someone, Ledley please. Ledley and Gunnar at the base of the midfield, with a proper 10 in front of them.