+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Clapping and cheering banned by students in case it causes offence

Clapping and cheering banned by students in case it causes offence

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-nation-union/

"Students who whoop, cheer and clap should face “consequences” because they are excluding deaf people, delegates at the National Union of Students conference said."

Audience members were repeatedly warned that they must cease whooping to express support for a speaker, because it has a “serious impact” on the accessibility of the conference.

---------------------

It's stuff like this that got Trump elected in the US. Why anyone listens to students for any reason is beyond me, if it were up to me I'd raise the voting age to 25.

Re: Clapping and cheering banned by students in case it causes offence

Using "jazz hands" instead is surely excluding blind people? They'd have no idea if everyone was 'jazz-handing' or not.

What about those poor double-hand-amputees too? How will they use the ol' jazz hands?

"students who whoop, cheer and clap should face “consequences"

I have no problem at all with cheering and clapping. Whooping however is an entirely different matter. It's one of those annoying Americanisms like shouting "yay" that has crept in.
    I know it's harsh but I think the only answer to this has to be the removal of the perpetrators larynx.

The Snowflake generation getting offended on behalf of others again.

Avoiding eye contact with your peers could be seemed racist?!? WTF?!?

Wonder if she knows sign language, seeing as she's so concerned about the feelings of deaf people. And to think, idiots like this are the next generation to run our world. God help us

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post

I definitely would.

Big hairy bush. Would take you half hour to find your way in

Offensive jazz stereotyping there imo.

Don't get me started on student politics! It's usually the people who care more about a career in politics or adding to their CV and rarely people who want to represent their student body.

Do you think they asked a deaf group whether they wanted to ban whooping and clapping? What sort of deaf person wanted to ban a form of expression of excitement or joy?

Whoopist
    Reported

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    Wonder if she knows sign language, seeing as she's so concerned about the feelings of deaf people. And to think, idiots like this are the next generation to run our world. God help us
    What about people who mute (are you allowed to say that) do the "speakers" take their feelings and human rights into consideration.

What if they have whooping cough?

Banned

Jazz hands?

image.jpg

The racist bastards

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The Snowflake generation getting offended on behalf of others again.

Avoiding eye contact with your peers could be seemed racist?!? WTF?!?
    You’re racist if you don’t have interacial sex too now apparently, not sure how that works with the 'race is a social construct' thing though, confused? you will be..

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    I definitely would.
    If it will shut her up, do it.

I watched a TV prog a while back, " Have we gone too P.C " or something like that

they had a bunch of " student council " members from a few uni's, fook me, what a bunch, the stuff they had banned " as to not cause offence " one of them had banned a Mexican themed night, as it might cause offence to Mexicans :-(

at times i worry about my daughters futures with these students next in-line to run our country, pleased to say my constant ranting at home and made my oldest see stuff from both sides, she has the " P.C world in school " and my own " un P.C world " at home, she will i hope find a balance somewhere between them both

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    I definitely would.
    She has a face like a stuntman's knee

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-nation-union/

"Students who whoop, cheer and clap should face “consequences” because they are excluding deaf people, delegates at the National Union of Students conference said."

Audience members were repeatedly warned that they must cease whooping to express support for a speaker, because it has a “serious impact” on the accessibility of the conference.

---------------------

It's stuff like this that got Trump elected in the US. Why anyone listens to students for any reason is beyond me, if it were up to me I'd raise the voting age to 25.
    CS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    Which 'she' is that?

The picture (taken from the Telegraph story) is of the outgoing NUS President Malia Bouattia who has been demonised by large parts of the press and political establishment since she was elected. Completely unfairly in my view. The Telegraph article claims that the appeal/threat about clapping and cheering was made by 'Estelle Hart, an NUS elections committee member who was chairing a session' and 'Shelly Asquith, the NUS vice president for welfare'.

Hyped up nonsense - both the appeal and the coverage - but gets column inches because it is another stick to beat Malia Bouattia, even when she has not opened her mouth on the subject. Cynical and pathetic.

To be fair most students are busy getting pissed, playing FIFA and cramming last minute for exams to attend a conference to talk about 'banning' anything. Slightly over the top thread title...

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I watched a TV prog a while back, " Have we gone too P.C " or something like that

they had a bunch of " student council " members from a few uni's, fook me, what a bunch, the stuff they had banned " as to not cause offence " one of them had banned a Mexican themed night, as it might cause offence to Mexicans :-(

at times i worry about my daughters futures with these students next in-line to run our country, pleased to say my constant ranting at home and made my oldest see stuff from both sides, she has the " P.C world in school " and my own " un P.C world " at home, she will i hope find a balance somewhere between them both
    Remember students at Cardiff University trying to ban Germaine Greer because her:
    'Trans-exclusionary views should have no place in feminism or society. Such attitudes contribute to the high levels of stigma, hatred and violence towards trans people – particularly trans women – both in the UK and across the world.'
    Don't think they'll be inviting David Moyes any time soon.