Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
I am almost certain no one from the eu has publicly set an amount that we will have to pay. That 100 billion was calculated by the financial times.

I can see why you want it to be an us and them, it makes it simpler but the reality is we have a load of people sitting around a table deciding our futures who are all financially secure and therefore have little stake in the outcome.

The FT are saying the ultimate source was the EU following a request to increase the amount, particularly from France & Germany who have probably realised that they are going to stump up a lot more cash when we leave noting that the majority of EU members get more cash back than they actually put in. Also I have not seen any denial from the EU about the 100bn euro sum despite having ample opportunity to do so.

Personally I do not want it to be an us & them, I voted remain & have not changed my mind although admittedly some of the methods being employed by Juncker & co have made me question my decision. That said stupid comments by Boris & Farage have not helped the situation either. I remain firmly of the opinion that give & take is required from both sides to obtain the best possible outcome. If either side resorts to bully boy tactics then the talks are doomed to fail in my view. I hope that what we are seeing at present is initial posturing & when talks begin in earnest a far more professional & respectful stance will be taken by both parties.