+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cycling

Blog Entries

Re: Cycling

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Strava is so yesterday, love.

Its "map my ride" now.
    Map my ride as you are training for an event it's just about acceptable to post on fb Jim, anyone else please note... WE DO NOT CARE! (unless you have great story of how you fell off in some spectacular way)

I'd add to the general advice that although I've done some 'serious' cycling (time trials, Audax events etc), I really like having a mirror mounted on the end of the handlebars. It's good to see what's happening behind you.

Also, it’s desirable, but not a legal requirement to have a bell. Bikes at the point of sale have to be fitted with bells, but there is no law saying they must be fitted to bicycles no longer on shop display. The Highway Code does not stipulate that bells must be used, but rather suggests that cyclists ‘be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians, letting them know you are there when necessary, for example by ringing your bell. I think a bell is a 'must' when using the Taff trail - although I prefer a hooter.

Finally, don't be misled by the guys who think it's cool to dress in black (like they did in the 1930s to avoid being seen as events on the public road were prohibited). As I see it, the whole point of garish clothing is to BE SEEN - I use cat-sick yellow tops or trade tops with the most eye-catching design possible. Why Sky Cycling jerseys are predominately black is beyond me - and loads of guys wear their tops.

These three tips are all to do with your safety and the safety of those with whom you share the road and cycling paths.

Some good tips on here, not sure about buying a second hand bike unless its one that has been bought and not really used. I have 4 bikes now, two off road one hybrid (also a boardman, halfords finest) and one road bike. Started with a budget bike and the spend has got progressively higher. I have bikes that look like brand new but have done 5,000 miles, they do wear out and repairs can be expensive.
    Off road is more fun , possibly harder and probably safer as you dont have to worry about the traffic killing you . You will need a mountain bike for off road , there are lots of different types but I would spend maybe 3 or 4 hundred pounds on a middle of the road decent make.
    Road cycling , you need a road bike (no shit sherlock) half decent bike around £1000

Half way house is a hybrid which would let you do a bit of road and enjoy the many cycle paths in South Wales. Taff Trail is a brilliant way of spending a sunny afternoon. Probably best place to start, no cars just people with dogs and kids to manoeuvre round.

Get a cycle helmet, padded shorts put a gel seat on your saddle for extra protection.
    Take your time dont try to kill yourself knocking up miles

Get the map your ride app and you can monitor the miles you covered and the difficulty in the miles.

I started cycling round your age( a few years ago) . I am about two stone lighter now, have done cycling holidays in the far east , doing Mallorca with my partner in June . Possibly as fit as I have ever been.
    Great advice thank you.

Do loads of drugs like Wiggo and win things and block car users by riding three abreast and film them with silly little helmet cameras . I love cyclists me

Quote Originally Posted by Watcliff View Post
    Great advice thank you.
    it was good advice

I used to mountian bike to a good standard, If you are after a decent enough mountian bike, i prefer a hardtail ( but others might disagree ) the Calibre bikes at go-outdoors were well received by the MTB press when they were launched a few years back and they are still well spec'ed bikes for a sensible price

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

I used to mountian bike to a good standard
    Shocker!

Some good advice on here as ever. I'd add two things. Get a good solid lock. I actually caught two little scumbags nicking a kids bike in broad daylight in town a few weeks ago, one of them had a pair of bolt cutters up his jacket which made light work of the cable type lock, the other one jumped on and was gone. Whole thing took less than 20 seconds. The copper I talked to said there had been a spate of them in recent weeks.
    The other thing is to have your wits about you on the road, especially when approaching side roads. The selfish, aggressive and downright dangerous behaviour you see from car drivers has to be seen to be believed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Do loads of drugs like Wiggo and win things and block car users by riding three abreast and film them with silly little helmet cameras . I love cyclists me
    I dont understand why anyone would ride two abreast when there is other traffic users on the road. I also use the car as a mode of transport and cant stand cyclists who would want to slow traffic up to 15mph ?

Don't underestimate your size when purchasing cycling gear. A blow-out in one's Spandex is not desirable.

I dont understand why anyone would ride two abreast when there is other traffic users on the road. I also use the car as a mode of transport and cant stand cyclists who would want to slow traffic up to 15mph ?
    ^^^ this

I've got the bicycle, I realise what a bunch of complete knobheads a lot of drivers are now!!

I've got the bicycle, I realise what a bunch of complete knobheads a lot of drivers are now!!
    The same can be said of many but not all cyclists.

At 51 I'm thinking of taking up cycling, fresh air and exercise being the obvious benefits. Any top tips from anyone please?
    No fresh air about these days. Your better off in a car with aircon turned on

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    No fresh air about these days. Your better off in a car with aircon turned on
    It's opened up a whole new world for me. Should be made compulsory!!

It's opened up a whole new world for me. Should be made compulsory!!
    I used to bike ride a lot. Mostly everyday back and forth roverway to work....the amounts of times I nearly got killed lol, I got fed up in the end and bought a car, now I'm the one nearly doing the killing when it come to bike riders. You're right though...wish more people would dump the car and jump on a bike am especially youngsters, the roads would be a lot quieter and safer if they did

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The same can be said of many but not all cyclists.
    Pretty much on a daily basis I nearly get clattered by people riding bikes on the pavement.
    Another regular occurrence is crossing the road when cars are stopped at the red light only to have some clown barrelling through the crossing on his bike.
    Like car drivers, I'm sure that the vast majority of bike riders are considerate and sensible riders, but there are some right twats out there.

Don't. Wear. Lycra.

Also, be wary of the state of the road, especially in Cardiff the amount of potholes and poor-quality roads is ridiculous