+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycling

Cycling

At 51 I'm thinking of taking up cycling, fresh air and exercise being the obvious benefits. Any top tips from anyone please?

Re: Cycling

Buy plenty of radox

Bulletproof cycling shorts may be recommended by some.

Buy a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcliff View Post
    At 51 I'm thinking of taking up cycling, fresh air and exercise being the obvious benefits. Any top tips from anyone please?
    seems obvious but get the right size and type of bike and a good saddle, find an independent bike shop and decide what type of bike you want for your riding, i.e., road, off road, mixed etc good luck, brilliant way to keep fit and enjoy the countryside

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    seems obvious but get the right size and type of bike and a good saddle, find an independent bike shop and decide what type of bike you want for your riding, i.e., road, off road, mixed etc good luck, brilliant way to keep fit and enjoy the countryside
    Depending on your budget and type of bike it'll slso be worth looking through gumtree and eBay. There's plenty of people selling refurbished bikes in and around Cardiff at decent prices and if you decide it's not for you you won't lose too much money selling it on.
    It can be quite daunting taking to the roads so try the taff trail - it's lovely and stress free.

One last thing - buy some decent shorts.

Blog Entries

Always remember your helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Depending on your budget and type of bike it'll slso be worth looking through gumtree and eBay. There's plenty of people selling refurbished bikes in and around Cardiff at decent prices and if you decide it's not for you you won't lose too much money selling it on.
    It can be quite daunting taking to the roads so try the taff trail - it's lovely and stress free.

One last thing - buy some decent shorts.
    i bought mine of e bay but did loads of research first and knew the size etc, i echo the shorts thing, shorts and saddle so important

I am a little bit younger than you & bought a bike a little while ago & must say that I love it. I decided to invest in a decent bike so bought a Boardman hybrid & I am really pleased that I did as it is such an easy bike to ride. I was a little nervous cycling on roads at first but am ok now, although I do prefer off road trails.

Some good advice on here about shorts as I didn't at first & found the experience quite painful! In addition I would buy a decent helmet as this can prove invaluable if you come off.

If you work does your employer do a bike for work scheme? I know a few people who have bought a bike in this way as it is more cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Always remember your helmet.
    Trust you to bring sex into it.

You haven't asked a question for ages.

Blog Entries

i bought mine of e bay but did loads of research first and knew the size etc, i echo the shorts thing, shorts and saddle so important
    Are shorts important for women too? or is it a man thing?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Trust you to bring sex into it.

You haven't asked a question for ages.
    No idea what you're talking about.

[QUOTE=Mrs Steve R;4738805]Are shorts important for women too? or is it a man thing?

Depends on how long you like to ride. A decent lube is also important.

I'm a few years younger than you but a long-term cyclist - until recently. Cycling can trigger type 3 Prostatitis/Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Chronic Pelvic Pain Disorder.

Google these terms and be careful with your body, it's the only one you will ever have.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Depends on how long you like to ride. A decent lube is also important.
    You know what I mean, ok I will put it another way, why are good shorts so important?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    You know what I mean, ok I will put it another way, why are good shorts so important?

Because that illegal stuff get you pi$$ed to quick and can make you ill.

Hope this helps.

Some good tips on here, not sure about buying a second hand bike unless its one that has been bought and not really used. I have 4 bikes now, two off road one hybrid (also a boardman, halfords finest) and one road bike. Started with a budget bike and the spend has got progressively higher. I have bikes that look like brand new but have done 5,000 miles, they do wear out and repairs can be expensive.
    Off road is more fun , possibly harder and probably safer as you dont have to worry about the traffic killing you . You will need a mountain bike for off road , there are lots of different types but I would spend maybe 3 or 4 hundred pounds on a middle of the road decent make.
    Road cycling , you need a road bike (no shit sherlock) half decent bike around £1000

Half way house is a hybrid which would let you do a bit of road and enjoy the many cycle paths in South Wales. Taff Trail is a brilliant way of spending a sunny afternoon. Probably best place to start, no cars just people with dogs and kids to manoeuvre round.

Get a cycle helmet, padded shorts put a gel seat on your saddle for extra protection.
    Take your time dont try to kill yourself knocking up miles

Get the map your ride app and you can monitor the miles you covered and the difficulty in the miles.

I started cycling round your age( a few years ago) . I am about two stone lighter now, have done cycling holidays in the far east , doing Mallorca with my partner in June . Possibly as fit as I have ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Some good tips on here, not sure about buying a second hand bike unless its one that has been bought and not really used. I have 4 bikes now, two off road one hybrid (also a boardman, halfords finest) and one road bike. Started with a budget bike and the spend has got progressively higher. I have bikes that look like brand new but have done 5,000 miles, they do wear out and repairs can be expensive.
    Off road is more fun , possibly harder and probably safer as you dont have to worry about the traffic killing you . You will need a mountain bike for off road , there are lots of different types but I would spend maybe 3 or 4 hundred pounds on a middle of the road decent make.
    Road cycling , you need a road bike (no shit sherlock) half decent bike around £1000

Half way house is a hybrid which would let you do a bit of road and enjoy the many cycle paths in South Wales. Taff Trail is a brilliant way of spending a sunny afternoon. Probably best place to start, no cars just people with dogs and kids to manoeuvre round.

Get a cycle helmet, padded shorts put a gel seat on your saddle for extra protection.
    Take your time dont try to kill yourself knocking up miles

Get the map your ride app and you can monitor the miles you covered and the difficulty in the miles.

I started cycling round your age( a few years ago) . I am about two stone lighter now, have done cycling holidays in the far east , doing Mallorca with my partner in June . Possibly as fit as I have ever been.
    What he said. Also make sure the seat is at the right height - worth going to an independant bike store that know what they are doing. Or you could end up knackering your knees up before you get much distance under your belt.

My advice, don't over think it. You don't need to Lycra up, wear a helmet (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/heal...n-surgeon.html), spend a fortune on accessorising your latest hobby. Just buy a reasonable bike jump on and enjoy.

Always and i mean Always Strava your ride, post is on every social media site you use

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Always and i mean Always Strava your ride, post is on every social media site you use
    Strava is so yesterday, love.

Its "map my ride" now.

Wanna be "friends" on facebook Matt, I am keeping everyone up to date on my training for the upcoming Harlech to Cardiff ride for Cardiff City Football Development. I know you would love it , how far I have travelled the average speed , the climbs , where I went fastest. Sounds great, doesnt it ?
    I havent seen you name pop up on the sponsorship form yet, possibly an oversight?

Its "map my ride" now.

Wanna be "friends" on facebook Matt, I am keeping everyone up to date on my training for the upcoming Harlech to Cardiff ride for Cardiff City Football Development. I know you would love it , how far I have travelled the average speed , the climbs , where I went fastest. Sounds great, doesnt it ?
    I havent seen you name pop up on the sponsorship form yet, possibly an oversight?
    seeing mickey mouse aint cheap you know

seeing mickey mouse aint cheap you know
    You mean , Matt has been to Disney land?

Wonder why he has never mentioned this before?

Its "map my ride" now.

get you leaving strava behind, you with the times treadsetter you i hear all the old skool bikers still use Strava

on a serious note, i was going to do it when you posted about some ball, but i got sidetracked, my dog has had a op ( the vet said it was a today or she wouldnt make it to the next evening ) on her leg and i am keeping a eye on her all the time, so not 100% concentrated on online stuff at the mo, and bloody knackered as sleeping on the sofa to keep a eye on her, I will get on it now

You mean , Matt has been to Disney land?

Wonder why he has never mentioned this before?
    you know full well Jimmy, its Disney World you rascal you