+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: OT: Website design

OT: Website design

Not sure if anyone here has experience or contacts that could offer me some advice. Looking to setup a business offering online services and will require a website that in a nutshell is able to host files and allow access to users, so will need some form of link with cloud storage or similar.

I've emailed a few local web design companies so waiting to hear back but just wondering if anyone can recommend a forum I could sign up to for some quite detailed technical advice?

Cheers

Re: OT: Website design

I asked a question once on:

http://www.webdesignerforum.co.uk/

and they were great.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc90 View Post
    Not sure if anyone here has experience or contacts that could offer me some advice. Looking to setup a business offering online services and will require a website that in a nutshell is able to host files and allow access to users, so will need some form of link with cloud storage or similar.

I've emailed a few local web design companies so waiting to hear back but just wondering if anyone can recommend a forum I could sign up to for some quite detailed technical advice?

Cheers
    Websites are hosted on servers and your hosting package allows you some server space on which to store files (after all, webpages are just that, files). If you have a requirement for a larger-than-usual amount of files to be stored then this can be accommodated for.

Also, a self-hosted wordpress website is your best bet for granting access privileges to users for them to download files.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers
    when you say " able to host files and allow access to users " do you mean like Dropbox or similar ? ? ?

as while hosting is cheap enough, storage space for larger amounts of files doesnt come cheap and you will never compete with the free companies ( like dropbox )

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I asked a question once on:

http://www.webdesignerforum.co.uk/

and they were great.
    Cheers, have signed up and posted

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Websites are hosted on servers and your hosting package allows you some server space on which to store files (after all, webpages are just that, files). If you have a requirement for a larger-than-usual amount of files to be stored then this can be accommodated for.

Also, a self-hosted wordpress website is your best bet for granting access privileges to users for them to download files.

Let me know if you need any more info.
    Thanks for the advice mate, hadn't really thought about it before but yeah I guess while the website was in it's early stages or at least in test then the space available with a normal hosting package would probably be sufficient intially with a view to maybe integrate a cloud storage solution further down the line.

Have been looking at wordpress but also looking at other content management website design packages now so will see what my best option is :)

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    when you say " able to host files and allow access to users " do you mean like Dropbox or similar ? ? ?

as while hosting is cheap enough, storage space for larger amounts of files doesnt come cheap and you will never compete with the free companies ( like dropbox )
    I'm not entriely familair with drop box (and for some reason can't access it right now on my works laptop) but could that be used as a storage method for the files if I was to have a front end custom user interface to access and manage the files?

In addition to the other replies, my websites have the facility to link visitors to files on my computer. Would have thought this was a common feature of web design programs.

I'm not entriely familair with drop box (and for some reason can't access it right now on my works laptop) but could that be used as a storage method for the files if I was to have a front end custom user interface to access and manage the files?
    you could a link to each users dropbox on your site

or if you are linking to specific files uploaded by you, you can have a direct link to them files

dropbox is just a " online / cloud storage system " you have something like file manager and view / Up / Download files, all very easy to use