+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Matondo coming back to Cardiff!!??

Blue in the Face

Matondo coming back to Cardiff!!??

Hope so!

If he does return maybe Neil can offer him first team football to keep him from joining another top flight academy?

Manchester City: Premier League punishes club with academy transfer ban

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39820993

Manchester City have been banned from signing academy players for two years and fined £300,000 after breaching Premier League transfer rules.

The ban applies to any player who has been registered with a Premier League or EFL club in the previous 18 months.

It follows a similar sanction for Liverpool, who in April were punished over a separate illegal approach.

Premier League rules ban inducements from clubs to encourage a move.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 05-05-17 at 16:03.

Re: Matondo coming back to Cardiff!!??

Unfortunately, doesn't sound from that report like they're being forced to send anybody back.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Unfortunately, doesn't sound from that report like they're being forced to send anybody back.
    I may well have jumped the gun here and taken this to mean what I want it to. The wording in the highlighted sentence is a bit unclear to me. It could just mean signings in the future, but I'm hoping that signings in the previous 18 months are cancelled out. I'm probably being way too optimistic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I may well have jumped the gun here and taken this to mean what I want it to. The wording in the highlighted sentence is a bit unclear to me. It could just mean signings in the future, but I'm hoping that signings in the previous 18 months are cancelled out. I'm probably being way too optimistic here.
    The wording is a bit confusing. I took it to mean future signings have been banned for players that have registered with other PL and EPL clubs in last 18 months.

Yes this makes it less likely matondo will be going anywhere, and surely he'd be a long way from first team football anyway

Blue in the Face

Updated BBC article below...

Pretty sure I remember reading comments that Rabbi's parents had been given financial incentives.

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Manchester City: Premier League punishes club with academy transfer ban

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39820993

Manchester City have been banned from signing academy players for two years and fined £300,000 after breaching Premier League transfer rules.

Part of the ban - from 30 June 2018 - will only come into effect if the club reoffends in the next three years.

City were found to have approached the family of two young players who were registered with other clubs.

The ban applies to any player who has been registered with a Premier League or EFL club in the previous 18 months.

It follows a similar sanction for Liverpool, who in April were punished over a separate illegal approach.

Liverpool's punishment related to their approach to a 12-year-old academy player at Stoke City in September last year.

An investigation by the Premier League found the Reds spoke to the youngster and his family before they should have, and also paid for him and some of his family to attend a game at Anfield.

Liverpool also offered to pay the player's school fees, which were being paid by Stoke at the time, and this was a breach of newly introduced regulations which state a benefit can only be offered if it is applicable to all youngsters across the club's academy, which was not the case.

It was reported in April that the Premier League was examining three signings by City's academy, including an 11-year-old Everton midfielder and a 15-year-old from Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Premier League rules ban inducements from clubs to encourage a move.

City have declined to comment on the matter.

Analysis

BBC Sport's Simon Stone

Today's news is an embarrassment to Manchester City, who have prided themselves on doing the right thing throughout Sheikh Mansour's nine years as owner.

The £300,000 fine will not be too much of an inconvenience. The two-year ban on signing players who have been signed to a Premier League or EFL academy is more so, even if the punishment will only be in force for one year, with the remainder suspended.

However, even that is only a minor issue for a club that has reached the FA Youth Cup final for the last three seasons.

What it does say is the recruiting methods City have employed have not always been beyond reproach.

For a club who are intent on recruiting the best young players, in an area where there is intense competition from Manchester United, Liverpool and Everton, it is not the ideal negotiating tool.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 05-05-17 at 16:53.

Blue in the Face

EDIT: I have no idea about facts on financial incentives offered, but remember some folks made strong suggestions suggestions that Rabbi had been tapped up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yes this makes it less likely matondo will be going anywhere, and surely he'd be a long way from first team football anyway
    You might well be right that Man City will be forced to stick with what they have. Not sure I can definitely agree on the second part about being far away from our first team though. Certainly not based on our last few games.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    EDIT: I have no idea about facts on financial incentives offered, but remember some folks made strong suggestions suggestions that Rabbi had been tapped up.

You might well be right that Man City will be forced to stick with what they have. Not sure I can definitely agree on the second part about being far away from our first team though. Certainly not based on our last few games.
    If I had to guess, Liverpool and Man City must have caught absolutely bang to rights by the authorities for them to be punished in the way they have been - like you, I've heard and read things about the Matondo transfer, but it seems that "officially" it was okay.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If I had to guess, Liverpool and Man City must have caught absolutely bang to rights by the authorities for them to be punished in the way they have been - like you, I've heard and read things about the Matondo transfer, but it seems that "officially" it was okay.
    The good thing is action is being taken with the tapping up. It's too late for us with this kid, but hopefully we're less likely to have our best prospects poached in the future.

The one positive is that with Man City unable to recruit, hopefully it opens up opportunities for Rabbi there and he can progress into their DVP team.

Two of the three players found to have been tapped up have had their Man City contracts cancelled apparently. Official statement here...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....r-ban-12994501