+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misconceptions about Cardiff City.

Misconceptions about Cardiff City.

I spent about half an hour earlier today listening to two blokes chatting about why they don't go to watch the City.

It's too expensive, tickets are at least £30.
    Kids have to pay adult prices if they are not in the Family stand.
    It costs at least £100 for a man and boy to go to a game.
    A burger is about 6 or 7 quid.
    There's nowhere near the ground to have a pint.
    There's nowhere near the ground to park.
    The atmosphere is too intimidating for kids.

I can obviously put them straight. I mean they were more than a bit surprised to hear that a kids season ticket in the Canton works out at £2.13 a game.
    I wonder how many other people there are around the area that are as ignorant about the club.

Re: Misconceptions about Cardiff City.

Did they trot out the usual, never been since Toshack went? Some people will make any excuse. If they were really interested they would have checked themselves. That's not to say that CCFC don't need to hammer home these prices with their marketing.

Some people still think it's hard to get a ticket !

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    There'll be plenty floating round the pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by valleys caveman View Post
    There'll be plenty floating round the pubs.
    Only if you have a Hull stub, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Colonel?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I spent about half an hour earlier today listening to two blokes chatting about why they don't go to watch the City.

I can obviously put them straight. I mean they were more than a bit surprised to hear that a kids season ticket in the Canton works out at £2.13 a game.
    I wonder how many other people there are around the area that are as ignorant about the club.
    Tbf, parking is a nightmare and what passes for food inside the ground ain't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Tbf, parking is a nightmare and what passes for food inside the ground ain't cheap
    Why buy anything inside the ground.
    I never have at a home game. I like a chicken Tikka pie at an away game but you can't always get those.

The price of food and drink inside the ground is irrelevant.

I get the train myself but on the odd rare occasion that I take the car, I never find it a problem to find a space in the streets around Canton.
    And I'm not saying the food is cheap, it's about the going rate for most football grounds, but it's not £6-7 for a burger.

The thing is, as I told this bloke, you don't have to buy food, drinks or a programme, you don't have to pay to park at the ground. It costs me less than £18 a game for me and my two kids STs, less than £5 for the train, even with a few drinks and crisps in the pub before and after the game, I've barley spent £40!

One of the toughest 'marketing' challenges is changing negative perceptions.
    Dragging people to drink from the well is usually the only route to combat the diehards along with peer pressure.
    On the basis that we have not had too much to get excited about this season there has been little peer pressure.
    And the club has offered some freebies etc to minimal effect.

So the only solution is to entice them when we are winning and they might just come along...but might go away again when called 'plastics'!

The world is full of people who start with a prejudice and then try to justify it, often with hand-selected statistics or just plain fantasy.

Tell the kids to eat before they get in ground, get a train or bus ,there are cheap family options ,think the club have won that award a few times .

Unless potential fans are partial to a bit of afternoon tea then i cant see the need to eat a great deal during a game.
    Flask of tea, squash/juice for my son and some sweets and fruit. Park near Victoria Park and a pleasant walk to the ground.
    Apart from my season ticket the biggest expense is a programme that my son collects.
    Job done.

You've got no chance of changing peoples idea of cardiff games being filled with hooligans.

I can remember offering my liverpool supporting friend a ticket in the premier league to watch his own team.

He said no because he didnt want to get stabbed...

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    You've got no chance of changing peoples idea of cardiff games being filled with hooligans.

I can remember offering my liverpool supporting friend a ticket in the premier league to watch his own team.

Isn't there a law against that?

The club could certainly do a better job of promoting itself.
    We all know it has won numerous awards for match day experience and family stuff, but do the wider public?
    In other cities ive seen championship teams advertising their upcoming fixtures on the side of buses and heard it on local radio.
    There was a guy working with us for a few months from Germany who wanted to attend a game but found the process of getting tickets unnecessarily difficult, although that was a few years back.

Not sure but I had the other ticket. The person who I normally go with couldn't go.

I never have a problem with parking, even for the games with bigger crowds. Always find a space in Canton somewhere or just leave your car on a kerb on Hadfield Road. From what I hear also, the parking company over at Asda have gone so it's supposedly safe to park there also now?

They cannot organise their own car park.

We have a pass for section C or whatever. We asked for that area for a reason.

Then you turn up to quite busy games and they tell you it is full and to go miles away. Which means we are stuck in the queues at the end.

Well no.......we paid for a pass in this part of the car park. You've either allowed people without the correct pass in...or you've over sold them.

Not sure but I had the other ticket. The person who I normally go with couldn't go.
    I think there's something about away fans in the home end or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post

All that would suddenly disappear if we were promoted this season

CCMB police

Find this amazing in this day and age. Has there ever been a crowd problem at the new ground??? Maybe the odd away fans who still think Cardiff represents a big away day....it's not though is it....don't think I've ever felt so safe in all my life as when I go to the ccs.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Find this amazing in this day and age. Has there ever been a crowd problem at the new ground??? Maybe the odd away fans who still think Cardiff represents a big away day....it's not though is it....don't think I've ever felt so safe in all my life as when I go to the ccs.
    We know there is barely any trouble. They're basing their opinion on cardiff fans on youtube videos and peoples ideas of the club from decades ago.

Word of mouth from people that support english clubs and other welsh teams as well.

Cardiff fans = bad. Swansea fans = good guys. Was how it was looked at in my high school in the valleys.

Nothing much factual about the opinion really given many of the english clubs have worse recent histories than ourselves.

Swansea fans carry on banging on about us being "scum", no questions asked. That opinion is getting pretty thin now. No arrests at the last derby if I am correct?.

A few more years in the premier league would do wonders for our image I think. Obviously!.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 09-05-17 at 11:27.

I went to a game last year with friends and Children, I bought the tickets, and everybody was amazed at the price. I got them off e-ticketing. We parked in gol, had a drink before the match. Watched the game, had a McDonalds after the game and strolled back to the car to drive away with no traffic. Great time was had by all.

That was mainly because I had the knowledge of all this before had. Speaking to my mate he had no idea about the pricing, had no idea on how to buy tickets, he has heard they have membership systems at the club so didn’t know if you had to be a member to buy tickets. He didn’t know the area so he had no idea where to park and he heard that you couldn’t park in the stadium. So all in all it put him off going.

These are all misconceptions, but the club needs to be more open if it wants to attract the fan who wants a day out at the football