Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
I am pretty sure I can prove that it wasn"t me driving the car for the first offence when I was away in the camper as my wife was with me.
I am not sure if I used a card whilst away as we usually take all our food & drink with us & take enough cash with us to pay for anything whilst we are away such as meals out, milk, newspapers etc but she will vouch for me.
The second offence I was home on my own as my wife was out for the day.
I have just checked my home insurance & it says
"Legal Expenses cover offers up to £50,000 in costs to pursue your legal rights arising from a range of circumstances including personal injury, employment, the purchase or sale of goods or services and damage, nuisance or trespass to your property. It also provides access to a 24/7 legal advice helpline for you and your family on any personal legal matter.
This cover is automatically included in your Home Insurance policy."
So I will ring them in the morning & see if they can do anything or give me any advice.
Just so that people understand how easy cloning is & how difficult it is to prove, this is all that needs to be done.
Have a popular car, see a similar colour & model (it dosen"t have to be the same colour, year etc), go online & get a set of plates made for the reg you have seen for £17 (no V5 or other documentation needed), fit them to your car & then speed through every speed camera you see, red light, park on double yellow lines etc.
All the fines will be sent to the registered owner, which is not you, job done !
evidence comes in many forms. if you were in a camper then did you visit a campsite, in which case there may be a log book with your signature on it. you can then prove where you were and that you were in a camper van. if you were in a camper not in your house then you couldn't possibly know who took your car without your permission.

for the second part if you were at home did you use the internet, phone, take a call, receive a package? anything which shows that you were at home can be used as evidence that you were not driving.

you do need to report a crime to the police, if someone has taken your car without your permission. I would also seek legal advice as the system is stacked against you.