+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Speeding fine conundrum ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Speeding fine conundrum ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    What was the time difference between your debit card transaction in St David's and the speeding offence?
    Just a thought.
    They will just say he's given his card to someone else to use. It's only creditable evidence if it's prosecuting evidence. I kid you not.

UPDATE :
    After taking advice I have written to the safety camera unit stating that my car was locked on my drive with the keys locked in my house & that no one had access to the car at the time of the alleged offence & that I do not believe that the car in their photo is mine.
    I included photo"s of my car as proof.
    I did not return the S172 form as I cannot legally put any details down on it as I was not the driver & I do not know who the driver was as it was not my car.
    I have informed DVLA & the Police that I believe that my car has been cloned & included that information along with the ref numbers the Police gave me in the letter.
    I am now waiting for a reply from the safety camera unit.
    I will be surrendering my registration to the DVLA & getting a new one.

OK I have found "pepipoo" online, registered & raised a thread.
    I filled in the "NIP Wizard" form & got the answer "If you can show that after reasonable diligence you have been unable to determine the identity of the driver, you will not be guilty of S172 failure to provide"
    I think that with all that I have done that I have indeed shown "reasonable diligence" in trying to determine who was driving.

I'm really keen to hear how this goes. It really angers me that on the one hand you get rich people able to afford the services of that Nick Freeman who would most likely get these "offences" thrown out, meanwhile the ordinary bloke in the street is denied justice.

Agreed.
    This has been playing on my mind since I received the fine as although I know that I definitely have not committed the offence things that I have read online suggest that I could still be found guilty & that if I do not accept the fine I could end up with more points, a bigger fine & court costs than if I just pleaded guilty

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    Agreed.
    This has been playing on my mind since I received the fine as although I know that I definitely have not committed the offence things that I have read online suggest that I could still be found guilty & that if I do not accept the fine I could end up with more points, a bigger fine & court costs than if I just pleaded guilty
    Justice will prevail.

Hopefully

If you accepted guilt you would also have increased insurance premiums for five years.

OK I have found "pepipoo" online, registered & raised a thread.
    I filled in the "NIP Wizard" form & got the answer "If you can show that after reasonable diligence you have been unable to determine the identity of the driver, you will not be guilty of S172 failure to provide"
    I think that with all that I have done that I have indeed shown "reasonable diligence" in trying to determine who was driving.
    The people who post on there are ex police officers , judges, speeding experts.

I took advice from a policeman , that I had a brilliant case, when two knob policemen came right up behind me one dark evening blinding me in a normal police car. He advised I fight the case as they had no way of measuring my speed , the story is of course a bit more involved. I sent my letter in pleading not guilty , went on pepipoo registered my case. My defense was torn to shreds , had to get a solicitor who cost a fortune, had a fine 5 times the usual FFP was lucky to escape with the usual 3 points.

Good for you. Keep us posted

Well done. Don't let the bast Ards grind you down.

Your username now seems ironic

I have today received a letter from the South Wales Safety Camera Unit confirming that my speeding prosecution has been cancelled !
    My car registration number has been put on the Police National Computer Automatic Number Recognition Database.
    I have today sent a copy of this letter to the Bristol Safety Camera Unit & hope to get that prosecution cancelled also.

I have today received a letter from the South Wales Safety Camera Unit confirming that my speeding prosecution has been cancelled !
    My car registration number has been put on the Police National Computer Automatic Number Recognition Database.
    I have today sent a copy of this letter to the Bristol Safety Camera Unit & hope to get that prosecution cancelled also.
    Another victory for CCMB.

Great news! Both tickets cancelled then?

Good news, and thanks for the uPdAte. Hope they manage to nab the cloner

Congratulations on this and thanks for sharing your story. I didn't even think that cloning cars was a thing until this thread was created.

Every day is a school day

Quote Originally Posted by Ring_Peace View Post
    Congratulations on this and thanks for sharing your story. I didn't even think that cloning cars was a thing until this thread was created.

Every day is a school day
    Yeah it's been enlightening and not to mention pretty scary. I hope, after all that hard work, that the outcome is as it should be and everything is cancelled.

The thread that keeps on giving ....

Fingers crossed on the 2nd ticket.

Top result

Excellent news. Must be a massive relief

Yes it had been playing on my mind ever since I got the first ticket.
    The more I read about the problems with cloned registrations & the almost impossible task of winning in court should the Police decide to follow through with prosecution the more I was thinking that I would either have to take points for offences I hadn"t committed or risk a worse outcome in court.
    The forum I joined (pepipoo), as suggested by Jimmy the Jock, were very helpful & reckon that as I got a letter from the Safety Camera Unit dated 24 hours after they had received my letter that
    "The notice wouldn't have been cancelled without checks on the national ANPR systems which will have satisfied them that there are indeed 2 vehicles driving around with the same VRM (likely 2 hits at roughly the same time far enough apart in distance not to be the same one)"

Really good news but still worrying the amount of time and cost you've incurred just to prove something you are innocent of. This could be any of us.

I am very relieved but at the end of the day even though I didn"t commit the offences I think that it is more luck than anything else that the Police have decided to cancel the prosecution.
    I have read about cases where the accused has had much more & stronger evidence than me that they were innocent & they have still lost their cases.

I am very relieved but at the end of the day even though I didn"t commit the offences I think that it is more luck than anything else that the Police have decided to cancel the prosecution.
    I have read about cases where the accused has had much more & stronger evidence than me that they were innocent & they have still lost their cases.
    Really pleased you had the correct result. I have been wondering whether to buy a dashcam, your dilemma has convinced me to go and get one tomorrow.
    Last edited by Mad as a fish; 18-05-17 at 19:03. Reason: Typo

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by Mad as a fish View Post
    Really pleased you had the correct result. I have been wondering whether to buy a dashcam, your dilemma has convinced me to go and get one tomorrow.
    How will a dash cam help in a situation like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    How will a dash cam help in a situation like this?
    Richy because with a decent one you can prove your GPS co ordinates as well as having an automatic timestamp so no more proof would be needed I imagine.