+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 65 of 65

Thread: Laura Kuenssberg

  1. #41

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Surely nobody thinks that anymore? Crikey, their right wing agenda, no doubts due to the Tory government wanting to clip their wings, is blatant. Why else have UKIP had far more news time dedicated to them than the Lib Dems, Greens etc?
    It might have something to do with the fact that in the 2015 general election UKIP had a lot more votes than the Liberal Democrats & The Green Party combined. I don't particularly like UKIP but I must admit that their number of MPs is seriously out of kilter with the votes won when you compare them to other parties, particularly the SNP & to a lesser extent the Lib Dems.

    As for the argument about BBC bias I find them to be pretty neutral towards all parties & i say that as someone who does not have a particular bias towards any political party.

  2. #42

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    I've always thought that the BBC has been, broadly speaking, pretty neutral. Currently, it seems as if the criticism lately has been of a perceived right wing bias after years when claims of left wing favouritism seemed more prevalent. Does this mean that the BBC has shifted to the right as a result of pressure being put on it by the Government? Maybe it has, but I still watch and listen to it and think it's broadly neutral and there would be millions throughout the world who would compare it to what happens with their countries media and wonder what we were moaning about. That said, I did notice this morning on Radio 5's 9 o clock news bulletin that the section on Labour's plans for the English NHS ended with a mention of the Government dismissing them as a shambles, whereas the mention which followed about the Conservative proposals regarding worker's right did not have a response from another party - that can't be right can it?

  3. #43

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    It might have something to do with the fact that in the 2015 general election UKIP had a lot more votes than the Liberal Democrats & The Green Party combined. I don't particularly like UKIP but I must admit that their number of MPs is seriously out of kilter with the votes won when you compare them to other parties, particularly the SNP & to a lesser extent the Lib Dems.

    As for the argument about BBC bias I find them to be pretty neutral towards all parties & i say that as someone who does not have a particular bias towards any political party.
    I'm all for PR over FPTP, however counting votes when someone comes in second place, which can be used as a protest vote in a FPTP system rather than a direct vote in a PR system, does lead to claims by UKIP (and formerly LibDems) that they are under-represented. no doubt they are, but not to the extent that they claim
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

  4. #44

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've always thought that the BBC has been, broadly speaking, pretty neutral. Currently, it seems as if the criticism lately has been of a perceived right wing bias after years when claims of left wing favouritism seemed more prevalent. Does this mean that the BBC has shifted to the right as a result of pressure being put on it by the Government? Maybe it has, but I still watch and listen to it and think it's broadly neutral and there would be millions throughout the world who would compare it to what happens with their countries media and wonder what we were moaning about. That said, I did notice this morning on Radio 5's 9 o clock news bulletin that the section on Labour's plans for the English NHS ended with a mention of the Government dismissing them as a shambles, whereas the mention which followed about the Conservative proposals regarding worker's right did not have a response from another party - that can't be right can it?
    perhaps no other party commented?
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

  5. #45

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've always thought that the BBC has been, broadly speaking, pretty neutral. Currently, it seems as if the criticism lately has been of a perceived right wing bias after years when claims of left wing favouritism seemed more prevalent. Does this mean that the BBC has shifted to the right as a result of pressure being put on it by the Government? Maybe it has, but I still watch and listen to it and think it's broadly neutral and there would be millions throughout the world who would compare it to what happens with their countries media and wonder what we were moaning about. That said, I did notice this morning on Radio 5's 9 o clock news bulletin that the section on Labour's plans for the English NHS ended with a mention of the Government dismissing them as a shambles, whereas the mention which followed about the Conservative proposals regarding worker's right did not have a response from another party - that can't be right can it?
    Maybe their job is to support the government of the day? (as long as it's the "right kind" of goverment)

  6. #46

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Maybe their job is to support the government of the day? (as long as it's the "right kind" of goverment)
    Every time the BBC broadcast a politics news story - they will always balance it by giving the opposition parties a chance to respond, at the same time when an opposition party announces something they give the party in power the chance to reply.

    I remember Thatcher and Major complaining of BBC left bias and the other way around. The BBC gets used as a battering ram from all sides.

    The bbc maybe man y things but it's not politically biased

  7. #47

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    The big problem I have with Kuenssberg and the BBC in general, is the unwillingness to really take this government to task. We've had at least seven years of austerity, savage cuts, public sector pay freezes, nearly a million people on zero hour contracts, queues at food banks etc etc, yet I rarely see pieces that are critical of the Tories. I just cannot believe what an easy ride they've had. Instead they seem to be completely preoccupied with reporting on Labour and Corbyns failings.

    It does help of course that the tories have also had the twin gifts of two referendums to deflect attention from their miserable performance in charge.

  8. #48

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    I dislike Kuennsberg but am mildly attracted to her

  9. #49

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    The big problem I have with Kuenssberg and the BBC in general, is the unwillingness to really take this government to task. We've had at least seven years of austerity, savage cuts, public sector pay freezes, nearly a million people on zero hour contracts, queues at food banks etc etc, yet I rarely see pieces that are critical of the Tories. I just cannot believe what an easy ride they've had. Instead they seem to be completely preoccupied with reporting on Labour and Corbyns failings.
    The BBC, along with most other western media organisations specialize​ in news by ommision and diversion, along with the careful selection of experts who comment on events, etc. It's all clever stuff which the average person is totally oblivious too. You can research Bernays, Tavistock, SRI, Chomsky, Kotte, Mockingbird, etc.

  10. #50

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    The big problem I have with Kuenssberg and the BBC in general, is the unwillingness to really take this government to task. We've had at least seven years of austerity, savage cuts, public sector pay freezes, nearly a million people on zero hour contracts, queues at food banks etc etc, yet I rarely see pieces that are critical of the Tories. I just cannot believe what an easy ride they've had. Instead they seem to be completely preoccupied with reporting on Labour and Corbyns failings.

    It does help of course that the tories have also had the twin gifts of two referendums to deflect attention from their miserable performance in charge.
    I agree. The BBC have been pitiful. Channel 4 news are the only ones to hold them accountable.

  11. #51

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    perhaps no other party commented?
    Another news outlet I had listened to earlier had said that Labour has responded to the proposals by saying that the Conservatives were taking people for fools.

  12. #52

    Do you think there is someone at the BBC telling their journalists and TV presenters what to write,

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I agree. The BBC have been pitiful. Channel 4 news are the only ones to hold them accountable.
    Do you think there is someone at the BBC telling their journalists and TV presenters what to write, how to write it and to make sure it is pro right wing biased ? - do you believe that ?

    And if you do - do you think it strange that no BBC journalist or presenter has ever spilled the beans, no one ever writer a book or secret blog about how they were forced to write or speak in a certain way ?

    Whoever this BBC controller of political thought and presentation is must be very very clever

    ps I also find her attractive - like a young Selena Scott (for our older readers)

  13. #53

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Another news outlet I had listened to earlier had said that Labour has responded to the proposals by saying that the Conservatives were taking people for fools.
    you want the BBC to report a soundbite?
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

  14. #54
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    27,109
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    The BBC, along with most other western media organisations specialize​ in news by ommision and diversion, along with the careful selection of experts who comment on events, etc. It's all clever stuff which the average person is totally oblivious too. You can research Bernays, Tavistock, SRI, Chomsky, Kotte, Mockingbird, etc.
    Bit of an update from UK column on "Saving Syria's children" just for you, as you are clearly the only person that looked at that story.

    'It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled'

  15. #55

    Re: Do you think there is someone at the BBC telling their journalists and TV presenters what to write,

    Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Do you think there is someone at the BBC telling their journalists and TV presenters what to write, how to write it and to make sure it is pro right wing biased ? - do you believe that ?

    And if you do - do you think it strange that no BBC journalist or presenter has ever spilled the beans, no one ever writer a book or secret blog about how they were forced to write or speak in a certain way ?

    Whoever this BBC controller of political thought and presentation is must be very very clever

    ps I also find her attractive - like a young Selena Scott (for our older readers)

  16. #56

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    It's been very noticeable how the usual right wing commentators have been struggling to find things to criticise about the Labour manifesto today. I'm sure Kuenssberg will scrape up something though, delivered with her trademark sneering look of disbelief.

  17. #57

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    It's been very noticeable how the usual right wing commentators have been struggling to find things to criticise about the Labour manifesto today. I'm sure Kuenssberg will scrape up something though, delivered with her trademark sneering look of disbelief.
    Anyone could have written that manifesto, they arent going to win, they can promise whatever they want. So for process though - lets imagine they won - Corbyn and mcDonnel would have a Nick Clegg tuition fees moment within a week.

    If someone promised me , work less, get paid more, pay less tax, free child care, abolish tuition fees, etc etc etc I'd bite their hand off. But there is no way Corbyn could do that - without shafting us all. It's already starting to unravel, the labour spokes person who was floundering on radio4 earlier - asked how they would re nationalise the water companies she said "we would borrow money on the private money markets, this would then be repaid to the lenders over time"

    She was reminded that this is called borrowing but she couldn't seem to accept that. So she was asked hwo much it would cost, how must interest there would be on the money borrowed - her answer - it's all been fully costed and the bits that arent - we will borrow to pay for it.

    When she was reminded that there is a lot of UK pension fund investment in such utilities that use the dividends to pay pensioners - so wasnt quite sure what to say.

    Basically - if someone promises you jam today and jam tomorrow - not based on tax gained from growth but just raising taxes - then I would be dubious - as by the time it comes into law - companies have already negated the risk.

  18. #58

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    It's been very noticeable how the usual right wing commentators have been struggling to find things to criticise about the Labour manifesto today. I'm sure Kuenssberg will scrape up something though, delivered with her trademark sneering look of disbelief.
    there is some good policies and some not so good. it really is a mixed bag.

    My take on nationalisation is that exponents of it suggest it allows profits to be brought back to public use, but if we have to borrow, say 80bn to nationalise the water industry, that borrowing will come at an annual cost of say 3bn on long dated bonds, so any profits made will end up in the private sector anyway.

    However, even Len McClusky has come out this am and started the damage limitation exercise by saying if Labour have 200 MPs elected (down on their current 229) then that must be seen as a success. I can't see how losing your influence in Parliament can be considered a success. We need strong, capable opposition to hold government to account, not a party in decline chasing a dream that only the minority want.

    I would rather a strong centrist Labour party than a weak left wing Labour party.
    Last edited by TISS; 17-05-17 at 08:37.
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

  19. #59

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    there is some good policies and some not so good. it really is a mixed bag.

    My take on nationalisation is that exponents of it suggest it allows profits to be brought back to public use, but if we have to borrow, say 80bn to nationalise the water industry, that borrowing will come at an annual cost of say 3bn on long dated bonds, so any profits made will end up in the private sector anyway.

    However, even Len McClusky has come out this am and started the damage limitation exercise by saying if Labour have 200 MPs elected (down on their current 229) then that must be seen as a success. I can't see how losing your influence in Parliament can be considered a success. We need strong, capable opposition to hold government to account, not a party in decline chasing a dream that only the minority want.

    I would rather a strong centrist Labour party than a weak left wing Labour party.
    So you are in favour of nationalisation if there is no upfront cost? I feel roughly the same. Buying things back at inflated rates seems to make no sense.

    Damage limitation? I don't see the point with where they currently are. It is like when you see a team 2-0 down to Barca with 20 minutes left and they still have 9 at the back so they don't let 6 in. Labour might as well have a go because the material difference between 150 and 200 is nothing.

  20. #60

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    My guess is the gap will close a little and come polling day and in addition to that the ukip-tory migration that is assumed is softer than they are allowing for, i.e. a lot of them won't vote as long as they can be convinced that brexit is definitely happening.

  21. #61

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    So you are in favour of nationalisation if there is no upfront cost? I feel roughly the same. Buying things back at inflated rates seems to make no sense.

    Damage limitation? I don't see the point with where they currently are. It is like when you see a team 2-0 down to Barca with 20 minutes left and they still have 9 at the back so they don't let 6 in. Labour might as well have a go because the material difference between 150 and 200 is nothing.
    I don't see them being at inflated rates. They are worth what they are worth. As NinianClark has also said, many pension funds rely on these businesses to generate cashflows for their customers. What happens to pensioners, who have no time to plan or make changes to their financial arrangements?

    Your second point is a decent analogy, however surely you can see that losing 6-0 in the first leg could mean that you are out of the game forever. Better to only lose 2-0 or even nick a late goal to make the next round much more competitive.

    My real concern is that we end up with very weak opposition that has no way of holding government to account. when that happens all non Tory MPs may as well go home.
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

  22. #62

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I don't see them being at inflated rates. They are worth what they are worth. As NinianClark has also said, many pension funds rely on these businesses to generate cashflows for their customers. What happens to pensioners, who have no time to plan or make changes to their financial arrangements?

    Your second point is a decent analogy, however surely you can see that losing 6-0 in the first leg could mean that you are out of the game forever. Better to only lose 2-0 or even nick a late goal to make the next round much more competitive.

    My real concern is that we end up with very weak opposition that has no way of holding government to account. when that happens all non Tory MPs may as well go home.
    Tories won 165 seats in 1997 and they have recovered fine. British politics is cyclical.

    Labour need to present their arguement and if it falls flat on its face so be it. They will be back at some point in some guise. I just hope they don't think they have to abandon what are actually popular policies to be deemed 'electable' or 'credible'.

  23. #63

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Do you think there is someone at the BBC telling their journalists and TV presenters what to write, how to write it and to make sure it is pro right wing biased ? - do you believe that ?

    And if you do - do you think it strange that no BBC journalist or presenter has ever spilled the beans, no one ever writer a book or secret blog about how they were forced to write or speak in a certain way ?

    Whoever this BBC controller of political thought and presentation is must be very very clever

    ps I also find her attractive - like a young Selena Scott (for our older readers)
    Nope I think the BBC has definitely had a quiet policy of employing political journalists of a Tory persuasion.The likes of Kuenssberg,Pienaar,Nick Robinson,Andrew Neil,David Dimblebey are Tories.
    Where are there the investigations and reports into foodbanks, homelessness, public sector problems, rising crime etc.There has been diddly squat.

  24. #64

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    The big problem I have with Kuenssberg and the BBC in general, is the unwillingness to really take this government to task. We've had at least seven years of austerity, savage cuts, public sector pay freezes, nearly a million people on zero hour contracts, queues at food banks etc etc, yet I rarely see pieces that are critical of the Tories. I just cannot believe what an easy ride they've had. Instead they seem to be completely preoccupied with reporting on Labour and Corbyns failings.

    It does help of course that the tories have also had the twin gifts of two referendums to deflect attention from their miserable performance in charge.
    This guy does, surprised someone like Channel 4 haven't picked him up yet

  25. #65

    Re: Laura Kuenssberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Tories won 165 seats in 1997 and they have recovered fine. British politics is cyclical.

    Labour need to present their arguement and if it falls flat on its face so be it. They will be back at some point in some guise. I just hope they don't think they have to abandon what are actually popular policies to be deemed 'electable' or 'credible'.
    Lets translate this into food :-

    Ed Milliband offered Egg and Chips - and he lost - maybe the electorate dont like his eggs ?
    Corbyn then thinks stuff this - I'll offer the electorate Double Egg and Chips, with some extra bacon - they are bound to like that ?

    The problem is, although we'd all like double egg, extra free bacon and chips - we all realise that you then need to go to the gym to work off the fat - so maybe we'd rather stick to a boring salad.

    Rather than all this work less hours, pay less tax, have more holidays rhetoric - Corbyn should have just made this election a pseudo 2nd Brexit Referendum - "Vote for me and I will stop Brexit" - May called it to get a mandate for Brexit - therefor Corbyn needs to fight it based on offering a different path, he's not - he's gone back to the tax and spend of old Labour. Just my opinion anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •