Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
So you are in favour of nationalisation if there is no upfront cost? I feel roughly the same. Buying things back at inflated rates seems to make no sense.

Damage limitation? I don't see the point with where they currently are. It is like when you see a team 2-0 down to Barca with 20 minutes left and they still have 9 at the back so they don't let 6 in. Labour might as well have a go because the material difference between 150 and 200 is nothing.
I don't see them being at inflated rates. They are worth what they are worth. As NinianClark has also said, many pension funds rely on these businesses to generate cashflows for their customers. What happens to pensioners, who have no time to plan or make changes to their financial arrangements?

Your second point is a decent analogy, however surely you can see that losing 6-0 in the first leg could mean that you are out of the game forever. Better to only lose 2-0 or even nick a late goal to make the next round much more competitive.

My real concern is that we end up with very weak opposition that has no way of holding government to account. when that happens all non Tory MPs may as well go home.