+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

  1. #1

    Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Rewind back to the start of the 2014/15 season. A certain Norwegian manager was given the boot after a curious start to life back in the Championship. Gabbidon and Young did little to steady the ship and the option of continuing with their services was turned down. Enter Russell Slade - vastly experienced at a lower level. He was never the choice of the fans to begin with, he was less so by the end of his reign. However, it is acknowledged that he did a job of sorts for us, even if the general consensus was at the cost of watching entertaining football.

    In his first season, Slade was in charge for 35 matches, winning 49 points at an average of 1.4 per game. The impact of Paul Trollope to the management team is remarkable for that season, taking a side that was 6 points above the drop zone when he came in to one that finished 11th.

    We finished 8th the following season, winning an average of 1.48 points per game.

    Slade goes, Trollope is given the main job. Whoops. He's sacked with us in 23rd place, winning 7 points from 11 games. The standard of football has got worse. No doubts Trollope is a very good coach, but as management material he was out of his depth. It wasn't his skill. Enter Warnock.

    Last season, Warnock was in charge for 35 matches, strangely the same number of fixtures that Slade was manager in his first season. From those games we won 54 points, at an average of 1.54.

    Both Slade and Warnock took over sides on the slide at the same point in the season. Both initially struggled to get results - Slade won 23 points from his first 19 games until he was joined by Trollope, while Warnock won 16 points from his first 13 games until Kenneth Zohore found form. I think it would be fair to suggest that, in those seasons, those were the main things that turned around the fortunes of the new gaffer.

    I think Warnock deserves huge credit for the way the club has turned things around since his appointment. We were in a far worse position when he took over than the one Slade inherited, not just in terms of league position, but players at his disposal, too. If he can keep up the momentum from this season and improve it, who knows?

  2. #2
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    13,360

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Some of OGS's and Slade's signings were mind boggling, I can't see NW signing as many duds as they did, do I think he'll do well next season

  3. #3

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Some of OGS's and Slade's signings were mind boggling, I can't see NW signing as many duds as they did, do I think he'll do well next season
    Greg Halford is one of the worst signings we've ever made

  4. #4

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Greg Halford is one of the worst signings we've ever made
    Why? He was signed for peanuts (at least I'm pretty sure he was) and is a squad player who covers stacks of positions - I'm not saying this is down to Halford, but our results have been a lot better since signing him. He's done the job he was asked to and will probably play a similar part next season, he's made a good career for himself as a Championship standard player, so I don't see why he should be called one of the worst signings we've ever made.

  5. #5

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    I agree Paul, add the fact that by his own admission he has been carrying an injury and Halford has been a reasonable low risk purchase, ideal bench option who can help close games out.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cardifonia
    Posts
    2,340

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Warnocks slight improvement on last season is down to having an assistant manager who is far more expierenced than Trollope.
    He also has a first team coach who was a manager.
    So Warnocks points average is not much better than last season considering the management team we have.

  7. #7

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Warnocks slight improvement on last season is down to having an assistant manager who is far more expierenced than Trollope.
    He also has a first team coach who was a manager.
    So Warnocks points average is not much better than last season considering the management team we have.

  8. #8
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    13,360

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Warnocks slight improvement on last season is down to having an assistant manager who is far more expierenced than Trollope.
    He also has a first team coach who was a manager.
    So Warnocks points average is not much better than last season considering the management team we have.
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...S1Ib7bPKFtQmjQ

  9. #9

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Warnocks slight improvement on last season is down to having an assistant manager who is far more expierenced than Trollope.
    He also has a first team coach who was a manager.
    So Warnocks points average is not much better than last season considering the management team we have.
    Just think, if Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepson had been at Brighton instead of Paul Trollope, they would have been Champions now after having won their last thirty five matches of the season - I make it they would have ended up with 126 points.

  10. #10

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Greg Halford has been quite decent I thought. He is a stop gap, not a long term answer.

  11. #11

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Warnocks slight improvement on last season is down to having an assistant manager who is far more expierenced than Trollope.
    He also has a first team coach who was a manager.
    So Warnocks points average is not much better than last season considering the management team we have.
    It's also worth noting that Slade had a better squad than Warnock did . Slade had most of the players we had playing in Prem

  12. #12

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Why? He was signed for peanuts (at least I'm pretty sure he was) and is a squad player who covers stacks of positions - I'm not saying this is down to Halford, but our results have been a lot better since signing him. He's done the job he was asked to and will probably play a similar part next season, he's made a good career for himself as a Championship standard player, so I don't see why he should be called one of the worst signings we've ever made.
    It was reported as a nominal fee and Warnock has repeatedly said he's not spent a penny. He's not great but Warnock has said many times that he likes utility players, he's also been half decent in some games.

  13. #13

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Warnocks slight improvement on last season is down to having an assistant manager who is far more expierenced than Trollope.
    He also has a first team coach who was a manager.
    So Warnocks points average is not much better than last season considering the management team we have.
    We know you're a clueless clown who loves the bait. We get that.

    A valid comparison between Slade and Warnock should be based on their first seasons in charge. Both took over at the same point in the season after a managerial sacking.

    If Trollope was a negative on Slade's record, how come Slade's points per game average shot up after Trollope was appointed?

    But you really know all of this, you're just trying on a wind up.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cardifonia
    Posts
    2,340

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We know you're a clueless clown who loves the bait. We get that.

    A valid comparison between Slade and Warnock should be based on their first seasons in charge. Both took over at the same point in the season after a managerial sacking.

    If Trollope was a negative on Slade's record, how come Slade's points per game average shot up after Trollope was appointed?

    But you really know all of this, you're just trying on a wind up.
    2014/15 season we finished 11th 16 points off the play-offs
    2016/17 season we finished 12th 18 points off the play-offs

    So I think you will find that I was right in saying that Warnock should have
    done better with his experience and the coaching staff he has.

    Try and keep it civil old chap.

  15. #15

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    2014/15 season we finished 11th 16 points off the play-offs
    2016/17 season we finished 12th 18 points off the play-offs

    So I think you will find that I was right in saying that Warnock should have
    done better with his experience and the coaching staff he has.

    Try and keep it civil old chap.
    You are definitely on a wind up. Why on earth are you comparing the end of season figures? They include the dreadful start we made. Why include how many points we finished adrift of the playoffs? This season saw an unusually high points tally for finishing 6th. Why include league positions? Our league record in 2014/15 would have seen us 13th this season. I despair at trying to work out your lack of logic if you're not on a wind up.

    In 2014/15, we had 13 points after 11 games when Slade took over. He won 49 points from 35 games.
    In 2016/17, we had 8 points after 11 games (my OP says 7 which was a typo) when Warnock took over. He won 54 points from 35 games.

    That is the valid comparison. There is no criticism of Slade involved here. It is my opinion that our recovery under Warnock is more remarkable due to the players at his disposal, we had a worse squad than Slade inherited; the standard of our performances under Trollope, which were dire and worse than they were under Solskjaer; plus our league position, where we were deeply in the mire.

    Yet you seem to think he should have done better because 6th place in the league had more points than it did 2 seasons ago. Incredible.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cardifonia
    Posts
    2,340

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    I think people can see that it is you on the wind up.
    You said " A valid comparison between Slade and Warnock should be based on their first seasons in charge"
    I gave you a valid comparison.
    2014/15 season Trollope was only involved for the last 16 games
    2016/17 season Warnock brought in a full management team with him.
    Don't keep banging on about the squad Warnock had to work with. After all he has had umpteen promotions which you remind us every other post.
    I'm not sticking up for the previous manager but in my opinion Warnock has not done much better.

  17. #17

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    I think people can see that it is you on the wind up.
    You said " A valid comparison between Slade and Warnock should be based on their first seasons in charge"
    I gave you a valid comparison.
    2014/15 season Trollope was only involved for the last 16 games
    2016/17 season Warnock brought in a full management team with him.
    Don't keep banging on about the squad Warnock had to work with. After all he has had umpteen promotions which you remind us every other post.
    I'm not sticking up for the previous manager but in my opinion Warnock has not done much better.

  18. #18

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    I think people can see that it is you on the wind up.
    You said " A valid comparison between Slade and Warnock should be based on their first seasons in charge"
    I gave you a valid comparison.
    2014/15 season Trollope was only involved for the last 16 games
    2016/17 season Warnock brought in a full management team with him.
    Don't keep banging on about the squad Warnock had to work with. After all he has had umpteen promotions which you remind us every other post.
    I'm not sticking up for the previous manager but in my opinion Warnock has not done much better.
    You really are a special breed, it's just hilarious.

  19. #19

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Warnocks slight improvement on last season is down to having an assistant manager who is far more expierenced than Trollope.
    He also has a first team coach who was a manager.
    So Warnocks points average is not much better than last season considering the management team we have.
    I prefer the style & tempo of football played under Warnock.

    I found the Slade style & tempo mind-numbingly boring.

    Comparison of points gained cannot support comparison of managers.

    For me the Warnock 'factor' > the Slade 'factor'.

  20. #20

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by darran1927 View Post
    It's also worth noting that Slade had a better squad than Warnock did . Slade had most of the players we had playing in Prem
    Absolute bollox
    Name them?....... Most of the players from our prem team who were playing for us last season?

  21. #21

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    Absolute bollox
    Name them?....... Most of the players from our prem team who were playing for us last season?
    They're referring to the 13/14 season, which was Slade's first

    But for 15/16 he still had the following (that Warnock doesn't have): David Marshall, Fabio, Ben Turner, Kenwyne Jones

    14/15 (the season people are referring to): David Marshall, Fabio, Ben Turner, Kevin McNaughton, Kevin Theophile-Catherine, Kenwyne Jones, Juan Cala, Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Mats Moller Daehli, Jo Inge Berget, Kim Bo-Kyung

  22. #22

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    I think people can see that it is you on the wind up.
    You said " A valid comparison between Slade and Warnock should be based on their first seasons in charge"
    I gave you a valid comparison.
    2014/15 season Trollope was only involved for the last 16 games
    2016/17 season Warnock brought in a full management team with him.
    Don't keep banging on about the squad Warnock had to work with. After all he has had umpteen promotions which you remind us every other post.
    I'm not sticking up for the previous manager but in my opinion Warnock has not done much better.
    You gave a comparison that was heavily skewed due to points already gained by the team at the point each manager took over and the point tally of the team finishing 6th in each season. You know that.

    Also, am I to assume that, because Warnock brought in his own team, results should have happened straight away? Really? When a team has no confidence, is playing poorly, has no attacking clue and whose only wins were scrapes against the weakest teams in the division, that would just be transformed overnight? If that's the case, how come Slade (and I'm only using this as an example to show how you're clueless) did so poorly when he was first appointed?

    Are you really thinking that Warnock should get teams promoted regardless of who his players are? Is that really your opinion?

    Ever thought of trying rugby, as football is clearly beyond you?

  23. #23

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    I think people can see that it is you on the wind up.
    You said " A valid comparison between Slade and Warnock should be based on their first seasons in charge"

    I gave you a valid comparison.
    2014/15 season Trollope was only involved for the last 16 games
    2016/17 season Warnock brought in a full management team with him.
    Don't keep banging on about the squad Warnock had to work with. After all he has had umpteen promotions which you remind us every other post.
    I'm not sticking up for the previous manager but in my opinion Warnock has not done much better.
    Remind me what division is Russ managing in these days and how many clubs dismissed him this season? Warnock is a proven championship manager who has also managed in the premiership.

    Slade served up the worst football witnessed since we got promoted back to the championship and not picking the likes of Gunner and Fabio on a regular basis was a joke.

    The purchase of Revell summed up how poor a manager he was and he should never have been allowed to manage a championship club and he never will again.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cardifonia
    Posts
    2,340

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    You gave a comparison that was heavily skewed due to points already gained by the team at the point each manager took over and the point tally of the team finishing 6th in each season. You know that.

    Also, am I to assume that, because Warnock brought in his own team, results should have happened straight away? Really? When a team has no confidence, is playing poorly, has no attacking clue and whose only wins were scrapes against the weakest teams in the division, that would just be transformed overnight? If that's the case, how come Slade (and I'm only using this as an example to show how you're clueless) did so poorly when he was first appointed?

    Are you really thinking that Warnock should get teams promoted regardless of who his players are? Is that really your opinion?
    Ever thought of trying rugby, as football is clearly beyond you?
    Slade started at the club in the October he wasn't able to bring in any players till the January.

    Warnock started at the club in the October and he brought in FOUR players in the October.

    No matter how you try and manipulate the the stats at the end of the day Warnock hasn't done much better.

    Ever tried taking the blinkers off before you post?

  25. #25
    International TH63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thornhill
    Posts
    13,360

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Slade started at the club in the October he wasn't able to bring in any players till the January.

    Warnock started at the club in the October and he brought in FOUR players in the October.

    No matter how you try and manipulate the the stats at the end of the day Warnock hasn't done much better.

    Ever tried taking the blinkers off before you post?
    Jesus Christ

  26. #26

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    Slade started at the club in the October he wasn't able to bring in any players till the January.

    Warnock started at the club in the October and he brought in FOUR players in the October.

    No matter how you try and manipulate the the stats at the end of the day Warnock hasn't done much better.

    Ever tried taking the blinkers off before you post?
    In January, Slade spent 750k on Doyle, not good enough. 150k on Revell, who wasn't good enough, O'Keefe who was OK for 750k and Malone who cost 150k. He also spent 250k on bringing McAleny and Kennedy to the club. Warnock has not spent a penny, and has more points per game than Slade, even during Slade's good runs.

    Ever tried taking the blinkers off before you post?

    Also, you even admit it yourself, Warnock has done a better job.

  27. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cardifonia
    Posts
    2,340

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    In January, Slade spent 750k on Doyle, not good enough. 150k on Revell, who wasn't good enough, O'Keefe who was OK for 750k and Malone who cost 150k. He also spent 250k on bringing McAleny and Kennedy to the club. Warnock has not spent a penny, and has more points per game than Slade, even during Slade's good runs.

    Ever tried taking the blinkers off before you post?

    Also, you even admit it yourself, Warnock has done a better job.
    Well if you think I'm going to be dancing in the street because NW managed to get us 5 more points than our previous manager then you are very much mistaken.

    Eric the half wit is suggesting Warnock has pulled of some sort of miracle where clearly I've proved the stats show there is little difference between them.

  28. #28

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    I've proved the stats show there is little difference between them.
    Now you're doing stand-up!

  29. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Cardifonia
    Posts
    2,340

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Now you're doing stand-up!
    Can you find any discrepancies in any of my posts?

  30. #30

    Re: Just a few observations on how well Warnock has done

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Greg Halford is one of the worst signings we've ever made
    Revell takes that accolade for me, never a championship player garbage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •